The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

More ripples of waves IMHO.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Here's one more set of photos for you maple sleuths to take a look at.

In the first photo, notice the chevron in the wood grain on the outer back of the guitar. It's pointing down (towards the strap button) and slightly on the treble (cutaway) side.

1955 Gibson L-7CN Natural with Charlie Christian Pickup-img_9752-jpg

The second photo is the same position on the inside (you're able to see the inner block reinforcing the strap button location). Also notice the wavy lines outside of the chevron. I suppose it's possible, but it's quite the coincidence to have two chevrons in the wood grain in the same position on the back.
    1955 Gibson L-7CN Natural with Charlie Christian Pickup-file_001-png

Finally, here's another shot of the bass F hole so that you can see the position of the label along with the bridge and the F-hole

1955 Gibson L-7CN Natural with Charlie Christian Pickup-img_9751-jpg

User Info Menu

if that's not a lam I'll buy you a donut.
    a solid one, complete w/ hole in the middle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Here's one more set of photos for you maple sleuths to take a look at.

In the first photo, notice the chevron in the wood grain on the outer back of the guitar. It's pointing down (towards the strap button) and slightly on the treble (cutaway) side.

1955 Gibson L-7CN Natural with Charlie Christian Pickup-img_9752-jpg

The second photo is the same position on the inside (you're able to see the inner block reinforcing the strap button location). Also notice the wavy lines outside of the chevron. I suppose it's possible, but it's quite the coincidence to have two chevrons in the wood grain in the same position on the back.
    1955 Gibson L-7CN Natural with Charlie Christian Pickup-file_001-png

Finally, here's another shot of the bass F hole so that you can see the position of the label along with the bridge and the F-hole

1955 Gibson L-7CN Natural with Charlie Christian Pickup-img_9751-jpg
    You know, I’m sure it’s a sweet guitar either way. Would be pretty awesome if that WAS a 1 piece, carved maple back and would probably expedite the sale!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    if that's not a lam I'll buy you a donut.
    a solid one, complete w/ hole in the middle.
    What year?

User Info Menu

So my recollection was wrong. I knew that I had previously or currently owned a guitar with a 1 piece solid back. Turns out it wasn't one of the Gibsons, it's my 36 D' Angelico Excel, which is a little bit more upscale than an L7.

1955 Gibson L-7CN Natural with Charlie Christian Pickup-img_9510-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    It's solid. No offense but this is common, basic knowledge about Gibson archtops. No need to get argumentative with the people who are helping answer your question.
    So my recollection was wrong. I knew that I had previously or currently owned a guitar with a 1 piece solid back. Turns out it wasn't one of the Gibsons, it's my 36 D' Angelico Excel, which is a little bit more upscale than an L7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SlowJoeJones
    What year?
    Natural dough color, or food coloring burst?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Natural dough color, or food coloring burst?
    Hah!

I think there’s a vintage donut under the passenger seat of my car. Kids .

User Info Menu

Man I love an old classic w wear like that.
    All those battle scars tell the history of it, guitars didn't get beat up like that by home players. An owner sat down and played the begeebus outta that thing on a zillion gigs, look at the wear on the side from it rubbing against the guys leg.
    My friend had a late 30s NYer that looked like it was dragged down a gravel road w a rope by a kid on a bike but it didn't have a single crack, just covered w nicks and dings.
    Can't see in the photo but I bet the back of the neck on this Excel has a lot of playwear. Cool guitar!
    Now back to your regularly scheduled L7CN sale.....