The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I saw Pete Moreno, a master luthier, put in a humbucker in a cross braced Heritage Golden Eagle. He had to trim the braces slightly to make it fit. It worked just fine. The braces lost no stability. Your guitar could be parallel braced, which should be much easier for a mounted pickup if someone wanted it.
    Thanks for this. I'm about 99% sure this guitar is X-braced.

FWIW, I've also been able to find mentions online of people having sent GE's (and other Heritage guitars) back to the factory to have a humbucker installed -- and braces cut -- by Ren Wall himself, with positive results. Of course, it's the Internet, so take it all with a grain of salt, but interesting nonetheless. A lot of the reviews also mention Ren's 4-point mounting system which I understand to be just 4 small washers at the 4 corners of the pickup ring -- it raises the ring slightly above the top and many people claim it makes a difference. My 575 has the rings mounted that way, but I've never removed them and listened for a difference.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NervousNrG
    Thanks for this. I'm about 99% sure this guitar is X-braced.

FWIW, I've also been able to find mentions online of people having sent GE's (and other Heritage guitars) back to the factory to have a humbucker installed -- and braces cut -- by Ren Wall himself, with positive results. Of course, it's the Internet, so take it all with a grain of salt, but interesting nonetheless. A lot of the reviews also mention Ren's 4-point mounting system which I understand to be just 4 small washers at the 4 corners of the pickup ring -- it raises the ring slightly above the top and many people claim it makes a difference. My 575 has the rings mounted that way, but I've never removed them and listened for a difference.
    This "mod" has been done countless times , with all models and makes of archtop guitars, by amateurs and professionals alike. I remember seeing Jack Wilkins with his old L7C which had a humbucker built in and he sounded fabulous. IMHO the top plate is really thick and stable enough near the neck block and how much the added weight of the pickup really does inhibit the top's vibration is open for speculation.
    Cutting the braces is another aspect but again, since the top is not weak at this position we can also only speculate about which negative effect this might have.
    The one major consequence of course is the diminished (collectors)market value of the guitar that's been modded in this way. Most players want a guitar that's un-touched - except when it's a celebrity-owned one which then miraculously gets elevated to a mythical status, all based on the assumption that this celebrity is/was an expert in all guitar-related things, knew exactly what to do at all times and only parts with this magical instrument to make someone else happy...
    I once passed on a 1959 Super-400CN (!!) that was for sale in Munich because someone once did this exact mod, cut the top and put in a humbucker plus 2 control-pots. The asking price was simply too high and since I do not buy guitars as a collector I need to make sure that the re-sale won't be problematic. I'm certain that this guitar was a bomb from a player's perspective though ....

User Info Menu

This guitar is sold. Thanks to everyone who looked or commented.
    Last edited by NervousNrG; 12-26-2023 at 05:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NervousNrG
    This guitar is sold, pending payment. Thanks to everyone who looked or commented.
    Congratulations Rick!

User Info Menu

First congrats to the buyer you scored! As I mentioned my SW 16 was modded from floater to mounted humbucker. It was that way when I got it so cant compare it to the acoustic sound. Owners of acoustic SW's have mentioned how light and resonant they are therefore prone to feedback when amplified (and yes, I know how to mute) several luthiers have told me this mod is not uncommon on these guitars also additional "sound posts" were added under (more or less) the bridge and are floating with shims and rounded ends. Since this is the only mod like this Ive seen Id love to know how Elderly does it. I can say the sound is comparable to any amplified archtop Ive played or heard. Ive listened to both mounted and floating GE's, one way more JS one way more L5, Rich Severson has done a ton of comparisons and seems to prefer mounted. Im old now and lusted for a Big Gibson since the '60s...not anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Congratulations Rick!
    Thanks again, Greg. Appreciate the support!