The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Unforseen circumstances .... My ´57 L-5C is for sale, for € 13500,- it's yours. No issues, in great shape and with tone to spare. The neck shape conforms to the typical late 50's round shape, the (replaced) frets have no divots, the action is low and very comfortable and the only mod is the jack input on the endpin. Shipping within the European Union is included, any other destination must be discussed. The pictures are recent and tell all.

Gibson L-5C ,1957-cjmrmfdpiuf0ynlikrse-jpgGibson L-5C ,1957-gibson-l5c-1957-hamburg-front-jpgGibson L-5C ,1957-gibson-l5c-1957-hamburg-back-jpgGibson L-5C ,1957-tnlvjmfrqqivwdf3c9de-jpgGibson L-5C ,1957-img_8480-jpgGibson L-5C ,1957-img_8481-jpgGibson L-5C ,1957-img_8490-jpgGibson L-5C ,1957-img_8495-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh Wow! Dream machine.

Good luck with the sale.

User Info Menu

Makes you wonder when Gibson went to a 5-piece neck? My 1952 L-5C has a three piece neck, as does this example. My 1967 L-5C had a 5-piece neck.

Tom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAA View Post
    Makes you wonder when Gibson went to a 5-piece neck? My 1952 L-5C has a three piece neck, as does this example. My 1967 L-5C had a 5-piece neck.

Tom
    Around '63

User Info Menu

Gibson L-5C ,1957-img_2433-jpegGibson L-5C ,1957-img_2435-jpegGibson L-5C ,1957-img_2436-jpegGibson L-5C ,1957-img_2434-jpeg

User Info Menu

That version of sunburst in the first photo of #5 is a very nice example of sunburst color transitioning. A little less black on the perimiter.

Tom

User Info Menu

I suppose the guitar in post #5 is the same as shown in post #1 from OP.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61 View Post
    I suppose the guitar in post #5 is the same as shown in post #1 from OP.

The friend was kind enough to correctly rotate the photos , it's the same guitar.

User Info Menu

Sorry you have to sell, Gitman. That must hurt. beyond my pocket, I’m sorry to say.

What’s the pickup?

User Info Menu

That is a thing of beauty. B

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Sorry you have to sell, Gitman. That must hurt. beyond my pocket, I’m sorry to say.

What’s the pickup?
    Thanks for the sympathy, Rob ! We're all familiar with the scenario ...
    The pickup is a standard Kent Armstrong PAF , floating version, hooked up to a simple volume control. The neat thing is that when I turn down just a hair
    the highs are cut just right for a super smooth but clear and balanced lead tone.

User Info Menu

Hey Gitman,

I can just support the idea that it is an extraordinary instrument. I have a '53 that looks the same. I'm sorry that you have to part with it

GLWTS

User Info Menu

....and UP !

Open for negotiation is the additional purchase of a brand new BAM fiberglass case for this guitar - it's ideal for traveling and offers MUCH better/safer protection !

bam 8006XLT Archtop 17" Case – Thomann United States

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Around '63
    My ‘63 has a 5 piece neck
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup View Post
    My ‘63 has a 5 piece neck
    Keith
    Some years ago I owned a '62 Super-400CN that had a full C-shaped 3-piece neck with 2 "Stingers" : one at the headstock, the other down at the neckblock. I emailed with
    Tom van Hoose about this and he was not surprised to see this variation. Gibson often built guitars using parts from different batches, different years, whatever the order needed and what was
    available. Many mixed-parts guitars left the factory in those boom years and this makes dating sometimes difficult and confusing. AFAIK there were no more 3-piece (maple)necks left for the
    L-7, L-5, Super-400, Byrdland and ES-350 models by 1963. The "Artist" guitars for Johnny Smith and Barney Kessel all had 5-piece maple necks (except for the Kessel Standard which has a mahogany neck) from the start.
    Gibson then also went to a much more shallow neck shape and that eventually lead to the shallow AND narrow shape of the later 60's. I had wondered WHAT made them do that - the Jazz guys would never had encouraged this .... My guess is that the management decided to target the exploding Rock'n' Roll market and simply altered all of the carving machinery to the same new specs. Too bad that the archtop parts were done on the same assembly line !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    ....and UP !

Open for negotiation is the additional purchase of a brand new BAM fiberglass case for this guitar - it's ideal for traveling and offers MUCH better/safer protection !

bam 8006XLT Archtop 17" Case – Thomann United States
    These cases are awesome. A classical guitar colleague of mine tours the world with his.

User Info Menu

Wonderful guitar! Can‘t even imagine how this might sound! Whereabout in the EU is it located?

User Info Menu

Still available ....

User Info Menu

And up .....

User Info Menu

Still available !