The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Benedetto Cremona Archtop Acoustic Guitar, Vintage 1990 | om28.com

I've found Eric to be a honest re-seller. Bob only made 2 Cremonas in 1990, this one states a Clearwater label-mine has the East Shroudsburg label.
    I know he was moving around that time.
    This one is slightly different than mine-most noticeably the neck inlays and tailpiece. Mine is not showroom-it's been gigged by me for years now.
    I'll probably leave it to my Niece and Nephew when I go live with Jesus.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ST, Jesus can live without you for quite awhile.

Stick around and keep playing that Benedetto. Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    ST, Jesus can live without you for quite awhile.

Stick around and keep playing that Benedetto. Merry Christmas!
    Thank you for that, SS. I guess my Dad's recent passing has me thinking of my own mortality. I never had any children, just my Niece and Nephew, so they are the ones that will get my stuff I guess.

I plan to keep gigging and playing until...I can't. I'm only 67, so many venues to make music with my beloved Cremona still!

User Info Menu

I once owned an '89 clearwater-made Manhattan and that thing was magical.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    I once owned an '89 clearwater-made Manhattan and that thing was magical.
    I've spoken to Bob several times about my Cremona and based on the serial number, he believes it was started in Clearwater and completed in PA.
    I also noticed the one on the market has the smaller pick guard.
    And mine has the Bartolini floater which I am very fond of.
    Bob confirmed the guitars around that time were built about the same way, the differences were inlays and cosmetic details. I wasn't targeting the top of the line Cremona, it just worked out that way. I'm sure your Manhattan was fabulous!

1990 Benedetto Cremona-fb_img_1659565313777-jpg

User Info Menu

SierraTango I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Benedetto Cremona Archtop Acoustic Guitar, Vintage 1990 | om28.com

I've found Eric to be a honest re-seller. Bob only made 2 Cremonas in 1990, this one states a Clearwater label-mine has the East Shroudsburg label.
    I know he was moving around that time.
    This one is slightly different than mine-most noticeably the neck inlays and tailpiece. Mine is not showroom-it's been gigged by me for years now.
    I'll probably leave it to my Niece and Nephew when I go live with Jesus.

User Info Menu

Gruhn Guitars 1988 Benedetto Cremona.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Gruhn Guitars 1988 Benedetto Cremona.
    Thanks, Jabs, I had seen that one as well. Another slight variation with the fingerboard extension, no pickup or pick guard. I guess 22.5K is the new market price for these. Asking of course. Mine isn't going anywhere except to my next gig.
    1990 Benedetto Cremona-20230710_115836-jpg

User Info Menu

The Benedetto Cremona was much copied by the woodworkers turned luthiers like Neil Palen and others after Bob published his book in 1998 with plans of the Cremona in the back. That fever has since died down. I don't know if they came close to Bob's own Cremona.

A wonderful archtop, spare in its ornamentation, an archtop guitar distilled to its essentials, and no more. Very Zen. I love it.

Play her in good health for many many more good years, SierraTango. You are one more good light, amongst many lights, to push back the darkness. You are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    The Benedetto Cremona was much copied by the woodworkers turned luthiers like Neil Palen and others after Bob published his book in 1998 with plans of the Cremona in the back. That fever has since died down. I don't know if they came close to Bob's own Cremona.

A wonderful archtop, spare in its ornamentation, an archtop guitar distilled to its essentials, and no more. Very Zen. I love it.

Play her in good health for many many more good years, SierraTango. You are one more good light, amongst many lights, to push back the darkness. You are needed.
    How right you are! Bob's book and video inspired so many talented craftsman to express their abilities. I've not had a opportunity to play a Palen, hear only good things about them. I have been fortunate to spend time with guitars by Dale Unger, John Buscarino and Bill Comins-all can tip their hat to Bob, and they get a lot of love here on the forum. Also, according to legend, Eastman strings that was primarily a violin and cello builder, bought the book and video and told their workforce, "hey, this is what we are building..." I have much respect for Eastman and they have truly brought carved archtops that were totally out of reach to anyone, to basically just about anyone that desires one.

Jabs, your last line really touched my heart. Perhaps it's due to my Father's recent passing, however I find myself getting choked up over encouraging kindness. I am so fortunate to be gigging, of course with a fantastic instrument, however it's really all about giving at least one person at the venue some joy, and hopefully more than one. Thank you very much.

1990 Benedetto Cremona-fountain-sp-jpg

User Info Menu

SierraTango’s post rekindled my longstanding fascination with Benedetto guitars. Like many, I was swept up by the archtop revival in the 90’s which, among other factors, was significantly fueled by Bob Benedetto’s instruments in the hands of players such as Jimmy Bruno, Howard Alden, Bucky Pizzarreli, and others. Further, when he took it upon himself to “write the book” on how to build an archtop guitar, he cemented his status as a luthier’s luthier.

Back then, as a father of two youngsters, with a home mortgage and other obligations, I couldn’t justify commissioning such an expensive guitar. But that didn’t stop me from keeping a Benedetto on my wish list. During the late 90’s, with my career moving along successfully, I spoke with Benedetto regarding commissioning his La Venezia model. After several discussions he advised me to place the order right away because a new price list would be published in just a few days, but he would lock me in at the current price. I hesitated, and within two weeks the prices of his instruments practically doubled! So much for that. Eventually, I purchased one of the very first Fratello models built after he partnered with Guild/Fender. It was a wonderful instrument, built in Nashville with a lot of hands-on Bob involvement. As I recall, the serial number was N0001. I kept it for many years, but eventually sold it to one of our Forum members.

Over the years I’ve owned many fine archtops. However, when SierraTango’s PSA notice popped up I couldn’t resist taking a look at this early Bob-built Cremona. I had plans to visit the Bay Area on the 30th, so I made arrangements to stop at Schoenbergs to check it out. The instrument was in absolutely pristine condition and looked as if it had been unplayed for the last 30 years. Not only that, it sounded great and played effortlessly.
    I couldn’t resist leaving with it. It’s sitting on the stand in my manhole as I type this note. I played it for hours yesterday and absolutely love it.

The label notes “Custom built for Evan E. McCormick” in Clearwater, Florida. The serial number is 19790. The instrument is 16.5” wide at the lower bout, the scale length is 25-1/4”, and the nut width is just shy of 1.75”. The small floating Benedetto labeled pickup sounds great, and is dead quiet - no hum at all.

Here are some quick pictures.

AKA
    Attached Images Attached Images 1990 Benedetto Cremona-img_0710-jpeg 1990 Benedetto Cremona-img_0708-jpeg 1990 Benedetto Cremona-img_0709-jpeg 1990 Benedetto Cremona-img_0707-jpeg 
    Last edited by AKA; 01-02-2024 at 07:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats Albert!
    Play it in good health....
    ps I approve of your taste in music as well

User Info Menu

A big congrats Albert! A beautiful instrument built by Bob himself. Wishing you many years of enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Wow! That’s a beautiful guitar. Congratulations.
    Keith

Isn't it wonderful to see someone's life quest turn into reality? If I had any small part in making a dream come true I am a happy guy!

Major congratulations! It took me many years to realize my dream. It involved several long drives and a couple plane flights. Then, much like Albert, mine showed up almost in my backyard.

We played NYE cocktail hour 7-9. Cremona sang her beautiful song and I again marveled at my fortune of being her caretaker. I'm sure you will be doing the same. What a way to kick off 2024!
    1990 Benedetto Cremona-bspring-jpg

User Info Menu

It is a fine guitar hopefully you managed a better price than listed. While it certainly is in the ballpark it has lots of competition at that price point. Play the frets off it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    It is a fine guitar hopefully you managed a better price than listed. While it certainly is in the ballpark it has lots of competition at that price point. Play the frets off it!
    IMO, the listed price is not out of line at all for a top of the line Benedetto made by Bob.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Wow! That’s a beautiful guitar. Congratulations.
    Keith
    Thanks Keith. I spent time today cleaning and polishing the instrument. It appears to have been constructed then placed in a vault for 33 years. Couldn’t find a ding, scratch, not even a finish swirl!

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Thanks Keith. I spent time today cleaning and polishing the instrument. It appears to have been constructed then placed in a vault for 33 years. Couldn’t find a ding, scratch, not even a finish swirl!

AKA
    You are very fortunate to have a Cremona, especially in such fine condition. I have an ‘89 Fratello from Bob’s Clearwater shop and I t is truly an amazing guitar. I’m sure you will enjoy your Cremona.
    Keith