The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 52

User Info Menu

I have reluctantly decided to post my all original vintage 1956 L-7c. It’s in what I would call is excellent shape, with just minor scratches here and there no cracks original frets. Pick guard appears to be a repro. A rare stunning blonde/natural finish.

The sound of this archtop is bright and versatile. Often compared with the L5 the major differences include braz rosewood fingerboard and silver tailpiece. What I particularly like about this guitar is the ability to put rounds on it and play ragtime, acoustic blues, and also bop and jazz. Working mans guitar, no flare, but flat out gorgeous patina and sound. Sound sample included, played fingerstyle with bronze rounds. Flats could warm the tone but again versatility was key for me!

I searched far and wide for a blonde acoustic and this one definitely did not disappoint. Also comes with original Cali girl dream tan and pink case.

PRICE REDUCTION $5,999 Shipped CONUS net to me.

Jsparr1983@hotmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images 1956 Gibson L-7c All original Blonde with Cali case-img_1478-jpg 1956 Gibson L-7c All original Blonde with Cali case-img_1479-jpg 1956 Gibson L-7c All original Blonde with Cali case-img_1475-jpg 1956 Gibson L-7c All original Blonde with Cali case-img_1473-jpg 1956 Gibson L-7c All original Blonde with Cali case-img_1469-jpg 
    Last edited by Jsparr1983; 11-10-2023 at 02:35 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice example!
    Weren't the pickguards originally still attached by pin in '56?

User Info Menu

Omg

User Info Menu

....And if it's like my same-spec '53, it'll be light as a feather !

GLWTS

Appreciate your post and replies y’all. It is a great guitar and hate to see it go, but family needs. For those not sure who I am I can provide my reverb shop and also references off AGF on sales. So if anyone is interested want buyers to know I have a solid seller record around!

User Info Menu

Wow, a Dream guitar right there! GLWTS

I’m a total amateur but here is a video demo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jsparr1983
    No holes drilled or modifications and in rare stunning blonde/natural finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Correct. The hole drilled to install the pickguard and the modification to the pickguard definitely fit the category of "holes drilled or modifications".

User Info Menu

No holes drilled or modifications and in rare stunning blonde/natural finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Very nice example!
    Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Correct. The hole drilled to install the pickguard definitely fits the category of "holes drilled or modifications".
    That's the case if the fretboard extension shows a hole for a neck-mounting pin. If there's no side-mounting hole, then it left the factory with a top-mounted pickguard. A photo of the treble side of the neck extension with the pickguard removed will establish the case one way or the other.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    That's the case if the fretboard extension shows a hole for a neck-mounting pin. If there's no side-mounting hole, then it left the factory with a top-mounted pickguard. A photo of the treble side of the neck extension with the pickguard removed will establish the case one way or the other.
    Frankly to me it sounds like a stretch. I'd have to see it to believe it. If there's evidence that this was the original mounting pattern I'll eat my words. But that is definitely not factory standard for Gibson at this period. Judging from only the information that's available, I imagine what happened was that the hole in which the pickguard inserts probably widened over time and the guard became flimsy. To stabilize it, a previous owner probably removed this portion of the mounting/reinforcement strip from the pickguard and drilled a hole through it and the guitar. I've seen this a number of times and it's much more likely than someone ordering a custom mounting configuration from Gibson.

Again, hoping to eat my words and have the seller's listing be accurate.

BTW I have one of these and it's great. I think they're very bright for an acoustic but sound great with a dearmond.

You all are awesome thanks for taking the time to clarify . Pretty sure that it’s a reproduction guard so my apologies for appearing misleading. Just a player and need to be more careful than trying to sound like an expert.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1956 Gibson L-7c All original Blonde with Cali case-img_1567-jpg 1956 Gibson L-7c All original Blonde with Cali case-img_1568-jpg 

User Info Menu

You all are awesome thanks for taking the time to clarify . Pretty sure that it’s a reproduction guard so my apologies for appearing misleading. Just a player and need to be more careful than trying to sound like an expert.

All good. Guitar looks sick. GLWTS

User Info Menu

Seller, curious how much it weighs. I have one from 1954 and it's the lightest archtop I own.

User Info Menu

Looks like it was converted to an old Epiphone mount guard w that little plate.
    OP would know, but aside from the new screw hole in the fingerboard extension it might not have a hole in the top, just a bolr/nut attachment.
    Looks refretted though .....

In my searches I found what appears to be a list from 2015 from a previous owner and surprise, the serial numbers match!!!!

I think it may answer some of the aspects of the guitar that I can’t. I am fairly positive with the never repaired mark that it’s not a refret. In fact on the playability I feel like the frets are low like they are on their last few dress levels.

either way hope this helps peak more interest on this fabulous guitar. Kind making me want to pull it.

1956 GIBSON L7-CN ,Blonde, Immaculate, Acoustic Archtop, : The Steel Guitar Forum

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting those pix. Am I correct to assume that the screw that attaches the pickguard to the little metal neck bracket does not make contact with the top of the guitar?

Here you go and yes it is not on the top
    Attached Images Attached Images 1956 Gibson L-7c All original Blonde with Cali case-img_1569-jpg 

My luggage scale says 5.12 lbs. thanks for commenting and asking clarifying questions.

User Info Menu

I have a 54 as well, identical to the one for sale. It is by far the lightest of all my guitars, including other L7s I have. The pickguard on mine was swapped out I suspect in the 1960s and replaced with a screw. However, I have a 1964 L7 that has the traditional pin instead of the screw. Go figure?

If I didn't already have my 54 L7, I'd be all over this one! Mine is in excellent condition - this one is a grade or two above mine!

User Info Menu

Wow. This is a beautiful, amazingly well kept guitar.
    I hope this ends up in the hands of someone who will play it, cherish it and respect/maintain its condition and originality. Someone with a good climate or a great humidifier.
    Beautiful Guitar, thanks for posting it here.
    Joe D

Very nice playing jspar and very nice instrument. If only I hadn’t retired.....

Thanks for sharing and sound alike some might fine instruments you have

Hey thanks for checking out my video and listing!

User Info Menu

Here you go and yes it is not on the top
    Its still unclear from the photos you’ve provided if that whole goes through the top or if the pickguard is held by a bolt and a nut ln the other side of the bracket.