The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 52
    There are no holes in the top. Are speaking of the other bracket on the side of the guitar holding the pick guard or the one that is connected to the neck?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think he's asking about the neck mounting bracket I referenced in post #15 about the bolt/nut attachment and whether there is a hole in the top under it [which apparently there isn't]
    as I mentioned, it's currently set up like an old Epiphone that used that method, it appears the only modification is the enlarged screw hole where the mounting pin would have attached. that wouldn't stop me from buying it, as I said before, really nice example
    glwts....

Yup it’s an L bracket screwed into the side of the neck. Appreciate you clarifying. I’ll take some more pics later on today, why not ; )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jsparr1983
    Here you go and yes it is not on the top
    Thanks. Question answered - no mini-tragic modification! Good news for you and the OCD vintage buyers!

Happy to hear and I have been there getting something unexpected. For any prospective buyers I 100 percent recommend and will do a video call. I have nothing to hide and if something is out of order, want the next owner to be pleased.

Price reduction bump

Lots of interest on several platforms, but surprisingly still available

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Its still unclear from the photos you’ve provided if that whole goes through the top or if the pickguard is held by a bolt and a nut ln the other side of the bracket.
    To my eyes it seems (from one of the photos) that there are threads in the mounting bracket.

That is correct is not a nut and bolt or a screw going into the top, it’s a threaded L bracket that sits above the top and is mounted side of the neck. A screw goes into the guard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jsparr1983
    Appreciate your post and replies y’all. It is a great guitar and hate to see it go, but family needs.
    That L7 is more important than food and shoes.

This much is true, you won’t regret buying this one regardless. I am going to open it to offers. Let me know your best ones for any who are interested.

Price reduced and ad edited with new price. Someone is going to be thrilled with this guitar.

User Info Menu

I've always held to the belief that L7 acoustics are some of the sweetest acoustics ever made by Gibson. The fact that the Rosewood fingerboard imparts a distinct resonance, the tops of this vintage were carved for projection and these tended to be purchased for utility by players who broke them in through years of loving use, all the ones I've known have been extraordinary. On par or better than other Gibsons higher up in the line up. Put a D'ARmond Rhythm Chief on it and they are the epitome of woody attack and warm decay that you can't get any other way.
    I'm sorry you have to give this up. I hope it goes to a player who can do it justice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    ....And if it's like my same-spec '53, it'll be light as a feather !

GLWTS
    Wow, i also own a '53 L7, also light as a feather, and a great instrument but cosmetically in such shape that i wouldn't dare to take it to certain gigs ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Very nice example!
    Weren't the pickguards originally still attached by pin in '56?
    What we see might be misleading. It's possible to use a pin under the PG and attach it to the PG with a screw going through. That's what i considered doing when changing to a new PG on my '53 L7.

Totally agree this one is a special time capsule piece that someone is going to love for years to come. Thanks for commenting

Okay updated with a new and bold price reduction

So I have had a ton of interest on the guitar. But one of the things that sticks out to me is that many people have commented that it would be better if it was setup with the pickup already. I have been reluctant because of possible alterations or modifications to a collectible condition.

Calling now for experts and opinions. Would this be more sellable with the pickup installed or a pickup already setup on it?

give me your thoughts.. thanks!

User Info Menu

I'm guessing that's why you were asking about buying a Dearmond in another thread. Sure it's great buying a vintage acoustic archtop and finding it comes w that pickup but that wouldn't give me any more incentive to purchase unless the price didn't reflect the addition. And you'll find that pickup is quite expensive.
    I see you have it listed on a couple free classified sites like this I'm assuming to avoid seller fees. They have an extremely narrow audience, if you want to sell it forget about buying a pickup and list it on Reverb and Ebay to reach the average buyer, that's where most people look.

Thanks for the perspective. It was on reverb but considering fees it was too much a loss for me at the last price I listed it at. Now I am considering electrifying it and enjoying for awhile longer as long as a couple more items of mine sell.

User Info Menu

It's a nice example but it seems like rarer blonde cutaways don't command quite as much a premium as some other Gibson archtops.
    Plain Jane sunburst non cuts aren't too far behind in value for some reason, just check sold prices.

User Info Menu

Another thing to consider is when you get into 6-7k prices there's much more available like Campellones etc. I'd rather have a Gibson but there's others that might want a modern carved archtop in that price range.

User Info Menu

If I were going to electrify it, I would search for a DeArmond RC that doesn't require physical alterations. If the existing CC pickup could be installed without alterations that might also be an option. But if it were mine, I wouldnt alter it to make it more saleable. But wintermoon is right, a DeArmond isnt cheap - probably $500 and up - I paid that for a RC 1000 many years ago.
    Like I said, if I didn't have a 54 L7 CN I would be all over this one.

Thanks Fred and to all who commented. Best to you all on this Thanksgiving.

User Info Menu

Very interested in your L-7. I own a custom guitar shop in Floral Park, NY. Please contact me to discuss a purchase.

Joe Pichkur Guitars
    (516)-488-5343