The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Maybe getting close to pulling the trigger if I can find one that's decent without binding rot (newer - 90's and up?). Not sure which color I'd rather have - probably sunburst as the maple ones look a little bland to me but could go either way. There's a few on Reverb but thought I'd cast a wider net and see what I could find. Budget: lower $2K. Only interested in the Japanese version.

As an aside: has anyone imported a guitar from Japan and do you have to pay import duty on a Japanese built guitar into the US? I bought a new acoustic guitar last year made in the UK and had to pay 8.7% import duty into the US. Not sure on rules coming from Japan.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    As an aside: has anyone imported a guitar from Japan and do you have to pay import duty on a Japanese built guitar into the US?
    Yes. If you are importing a Japanese guitar into the US, you will pay duties. If you are buying a US-made guitar from Japan, you do not.

User Info Menu

Duties can be highly dependent on how it is shipped. I’ve gotten several Japanese guitars from Japan. When they’ve shipped via EMS/USPS I’ve never paid any taxes. With other methods I’ve had to do so at times. Sometimes UPS has charged me brokerage fees up to 15% of the declared value, the last time more than double the tax for a total of about 22% on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'll definitely find one in the States.

User Info Menu

Shouldn't be hard. There's lots of 'em. Great guitars.

User Info Menu

Have you tried the indonisia model? Curious how they stack up to those who have played both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Have you tried the indonisia model? Curious how they stack up to those who have played both.
    According to Ibanez Wiki, the GB10 has alway been made in Japan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink
    According to Ibanez Wiki, the GB10 has alway been made in Japan.
    There is an Indonesian model that's $1300 +/-. I've heard that the woodwork is fairly decent but the hardware is cheaper looking/feeling. I've watched a couple of videos of guys praising them after a year of use but I'd rather go with the real deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    There is an Indonesian model that's $1300 +/-. I've heard that the woodwork is fairly decent but the hardware is cheaper looking/feeling. I've watched a couple of videos of guys praising them after a year of use but I'd rather go with the real deal.
    That would be the GB10SE with a spruce top, not the GB10 (maple).

User Info Menu

You are correct - just didn't remember the number right off. Didn't realize they were spruce either.

User Info Menu

You have that backwards. The GB-10 Japan is spruce the GB-10SE is maple. They are both laminates. That in itself would create some sound difference. I did own a GB-12 at one time that was maple and I foolishly sold it. It sounded and played great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    You have that backwards. The GB-10 Japan is spruce the GB-10SE is maple. They are both laminates. That in itself would create some sound difference. I did own a GB-12 at one time that was maple and I foolishly sold it. It sounded and played great.
    Thanks for the correction. It didn't sound right to me either, but Ibanez Wiki has the two models reversed in this respect. Lesson learned: trust, but verify.