The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Looking to pick up a Sadowsky Jim Hall. Anyone out there have one they are looking to sell?

thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There’s an Eastman 803 CE for sale $850.in the used section. This is a solid carved 16” with a built in humbucker much like the dimensions you are looking for. You won’t be unhappy!

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    There’s an Eastman 803 CE for sale $850.in the used section. This is a solid carved 16” with a built in humbucker much like the dimensions you are looking for. You won’t be unhappy!
    Thanks but not really looking for a carved top guitar. I prefer Laminate and love the warmth of the Jim Hall.

User Info Menu

Mine is my avatar. Unfortunately, not for sale. But I will say, I have had mine for several years--it was one of the early builds--and I have zero regrets. It is an endless delight. The intonation, the overall "precision" of everything. I hope you get to join the SJH club when the right one comes along. Good luck!

User Info Menu

My Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno 15" has been my main jazzer for years. Fabulous neck.

User Info Menu

There one in the Coming Soon section of Archtop.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Mine is my avatar. Unfortunately, not for sale. But I will say, I have had mine for several years--it was one of the early builds--and I have zero regrets. It is an endless delight. The intonation, the overall "precision" of everything. I hope you get to join the SJH club when the right one comes along. Good luck!
    What constitutes an 'early build'?

I got mine in 2008.
    Last edited by A. Kingstone; 10-04-2023 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    What constitutes and 'early build'?
    Nothing in particular that I'm aware of. Mine was built in 2004, with a serial number in the 20's (A02x). So I just assume it was one of the first ones built. I don't think that makes it any better than others that were built later. Unlike vintage Gibsons or Fenders, Sadowskys seem to be remarkably consistent.

User Info Menu

I hadn't played mine in 10 years but pulled it out last week. Fantastic. Best guitar I own.

Sadowsky Jim Hall-380523_386088941457907_2091709956_n-jpg
    Last edited by A. Kingstone; 10-04-2023 at 10:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    There one in the Coming Soon section of Archtop.com
    That one just went up on the main list this morning. It is a 2009 (if that matters) and they are asking 4500.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    At some point he switched finishes, to poly, but I don't remember the year, maybe early 80's. Might not matter to most players.
    The archtops were only built starting in the early 2000s. The early finishes were nitro but not for long. Roger favors the poly for the durability. Nitro now and again on the solid bodies but he’s been using poly on those for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    That one just went up on the main list this morning. It is a 2009 (if that matters) and they are asking 4500.
    I saw this guitar on Archtop.com last night and jumped right on it early today. I bought it and it is en-route to me .

Truth be told I also own a 2006 D'Aquisto Jazzline which I really like. I didn't play it for a long time and eventually the neck starting pulling up and I had to get the neck reset. It is so killer now. I have always wanted a Sadowsky Jim Hall so now I now I will have 2 very similar guitars except for the little deeper body, little wider nut, and Roger's touch. I plan to sell the Jazzline....I think

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j-mo
    I saw this guitar on Archtop.com last night and jumped right on it early today. I bought it and it is en-route to me .

Truth be told I also own a 2006 D'Aquisto Jazzline which I really like. I didn't play it for a long time and eventually the neck starting pulling up and I had to get the neck reset. It is so killer now. I have always wanted a Sadowsky Jim Hall so now I now I will have 2 very similar guitars except for the little deeper body, little wider nut, and Roger's touch. I plan to sell the Jazzline....I think
    I played that guitar and it absolutely blew me away. I haven’t played too too many jazz guitars but this one was in a league of its own. Neck fit like a glove, tone had that beautiful sparkle without losing the laminate character. I ended up buying a JH pretty much immediately. I hope it’s got the same mojo that yours does, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    At some point he switched finishes, to poly, but I don't remember the year, maybe early 80's. Might not matter to most players.
    Sorry, my brain injury got the best of me again. I meant 2008, not 80s. And my Bruno is an old 2005, not 2015. Getting my 5s and 8s all mixed up.

Went to a pub the other night for dinner and to hear BW sing for 2 hrs. On the way home, I couldn't remember where we had been.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 10-06-2023 at 07:12 AM.

User Info Menu

I had one of the Aria D'Aquistos, it sounded FABULOUS. But it developed the dreaded neck hump at the body. And I have a full house humidifier, keeping everything (and my wife's baby grand and violins) at around 45-48 rh.

User Info Menu

I hadn't played mine in 10 years but pulled it out last week. Fantastic. Best guitar I own.

I rarely ask for clarification, but your JH is your best guitar, and you haven’t played it in 10 years? What other exciting things are you up to in life that would push it that far down the scale of priorities? I’m hoping for some great stories

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I rarely ask for clarification, but your JH is your best guitar, and you haven’t played it in 10 years? What other exciting things are you up to in life that would push it that far down the scale of priorities? I’m hoping for some great stories
    That's a good question. Short answer, I quit music. Jazz is hard and as a middle aged man with a day job I was tired and I didn't practice. I felt enormous guilt. I stopped defining myself as a musician. It worked. I didn't miss finishing work, going home, changing, packing the car and working late. I'm now retired and have started learning lyrics and pushing a few chords around. I have no interest in taking it out but at least I'm playing and thinking music again.

Thanks for asking.

Alan

User Info Menu

Similar situation…. Much less pressure playing what I want to play, letting go of expectations I had set for myself earlier in life. More freedom to enjoy learning exactly what I want to play, but the pressure to learn set lists and repertoire did make me learn more and faster. Being my own taskmaster does not produce the same results, but I’m happy with my day job and my progress with guitar. Kudos to you!

User Info Menu

Only wish there were more of them around. That or the SS15 is on my bucket list.

User Info Menu

Wait, you haven’t played the best guitar you’ve owned in over a decade?

(confession: I have a 2006 blond model, and it’s the only 6 string jazz box I still own. Got rid of all of them. And yes, I haven’t played it in 3 years)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Navdeep_Singh
    Wait, you haven’t played the best guitar you’ve owned in over a decade?

(confession: I have a 2006 blond model, and it’s the only 6 string jazz box I still own. Got rid of all of them. And yes, I haven’t played it in 3 years)
    Until last week Jim Hall was on the shelf along with Herb Ellis, Les Paul and Leo Fender.

I occasionally played an acoustic and a $200 Lace Acela.

User Info Menu

Welp, the one I bought ended up needing a neck reset and now I have to return it. Should have bit the bullet and gone for the archtop.com one. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that Jimboo. Why isn’t there a dislike button?

I just thought I'd report on the 2009 Jim Hall I got from archtop.com. It is really nice. I received it about 10 days ago and have really grown to like it. I will admit that at first I wasn't sure if I'd definitely keep it. As I mentioned above I already have a 2006 D'Aquisto Jazzline. I also have a 1980 Gibson Es-175 which sounds amazing. What I have noticed is that the Sadowsky Jim Hall is a little more airy and acoustic than the Jazzline. Maybe the Jazzline leans more towards the ES-175 and since I love that sound the Sadowsky took some getting used to. Last week I sat in with a friends duo gig and played a few tunes. Nothing like that first gig with a new guitar to really discover what it does. I was already starting to love what the Sadowsky does but that gig sealed the deal.
    The Jazzline is still a great guitar....or at least mine is. I bought the Sadowsky with the intention of selling the Jazzline which I probably will end up doing.

Here is a pic of them side by side.

Cheers!

Sadowsky Jim Hall-img_1899-3-jpg

User Info Menu

Am wondering how the necks compare on each? Is one a bit more full than the other?