The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I received this reply to an ad for a guitar I put on the local CL. Seems kinda strange to me(?)

"Thanks for returning my husband's message regarding your item. We are satisfied with the price & the condition listed on the CL, so kindly withdraw the advert and consider it sold. I would have come in person for it but can't due to my tight work Schedule and we are also busy because we are in the process of moving. My husband will proceed in issuing a Certified Cashier's Check Or USPS Money Order to you and when received and cleared your bank, We will make arrangements for the pick up. Additional $90 will be added with the original price for reservation till the check gets to you.

I'll need the following information to overnight the Payment today.

Name to issue out the check to......
    Mailing Address to overnight the check....
    Final Asking price and the Cell # to contact you ....

Thank you in anticipation of your understanding and awaiting the information requested to overnight out through UPS and delivered to you within 48 hours.
    Regards"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I received this reply to an ad for a guitar I put on the local CL. Seems kinda strange to me(?)

"Thanks for returning my husband's message regarding your item. We are satisfied with the price & the condition listed on the CL, so kindly withdraw the advert and consider it sold. I would have come in person for it but can't due to my tight work Schedule and we are also busy because we are in the process of moving. My husband will proceed in issuing a Certified Cashier's Check Or USPS Money Order to you and when received and cleared your bank, We will make arrangements for the pick up. Additional $90 will be added with the original price for reservation till the check gets to you.

I'll need the following information to overnight the Payment today.

Name to issue out the check to......
    Mailing Address to overnight the check....
    Final Asking price and the Cell # to contact you ....

Thank you in anticipation of your understanding and awaiting the information requested to overnight out through UPS and delivered to you within 48 hours.
    Regards"
    Not strange, but the perverse norm on CL. Scammers love the word "kindly" for whatever reason.

User Info Menu

Straight up scam. Adding $90 just for fun? The check will be bogus. It's a very common scam, tried every day.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Straight up scam. Adding $90 just for fun? The check will be bogus. It's a very common scam, tried every day.
    That's what I was thinking, but they clearly say to wait until it clears the bank.

User Info Menu

This scam is happening on Reverb too. I’m not sure exactly how it’s supposed to work. It just seems like it is just an absolute waste of everyone’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yes, I got a similar message on CL a few years ago when I had something for sale - may have been a guitar. Sounded pretty scammy to me so I just ignored it.

Thank you for this.

User Info Menu

Red flag #1
    they didn't mention what they were attempting to purchase, one of the older clues that tip off scams. Some have caught onto it but use the entire title of the post verbatim in their email like:
    "I'm interested in purchasing your 1 owner 1959 Gibson Les Paul Guitar w Original Case"

Red flag #2
    In your particular case, unless the instrument is located out of the US you're rarely gonna have someone use the word 'advert'
    Pay close attention to how their email is worded, often something will tip you off that something's awry. Like "on the CL" from the above email

Another scam that's been going around is "my father would like to buy the guitar, please send the pictures to this email address so he can view them more closely" I fell for that one once but nothing ever came of it

User Info Menu

This scam is not new, its been going on for many years, I remember going through that 10 years ago... however, I new right away.

Cheers,
    Arnie..

User Info Menu

Run.

User Info Menu

Don't even think about closing this deal! It's a scam. Your instincts were spot on. ?

User Info Menu

The key word for a scam is "item" I received two of these scam inquires in the past week for guitars I have listed on Reverb. Both saying they want my "item" For a laugh I replied with "which Item as I have several listed" needless to say I never heard back from either. B

User Info Menu

They want pictures for scam sales to other suckers. They're never running just one scam at a time. I keep getting text messages saying that my order arrived at the warehouse but can't be delivered because the address information is incomplete. Same style, claiming to be from the USPS. My Amazon and Paypal accounts are on hold. I have been charged for an annual subscription to LifeLock, call to cancel. Someone has sold my email address and phone number, and I'm bombarded by scams. Fortunately, they are rather unsophisticated, and easy to recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Arch!
    The key word for a scam is "item" I received two of these scam inquires in the past week for guitars I have listed on Reverb. Both saying they want my "item" For a laugh I replied with "which Item as I have several listed" needless to say I never heard back from either. B
    I did that too, same result.

What's odd is they said they'd com by to pick it up after the check clears. Strange MO.

User Info Menu

I first encountered this nearly word for word scam on CL several years ago when selling a MIM jaguar here in michigan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    What's odd is they said they'd com by to pick it up after the check clears. Strange MO.
    I guess if they are going to pick it up in person it must be legit. LOL!! They never give up. B

User Info Menu

Believe it or not, you cannot believe everything every person tells you. I know it's hard to believe, but some people lie. Once the scams were done by mail and telephone, and one result of free long-distance calls is that scammers get a free ride. Now it's mostly via email, although I still get about half a dozen spam/scam calls every day. Google Assistant takes care of them, along with about the same number of texts.

Scammers once convinced my mother that they were going to deliver a new car to her, if she withdrew all her money from the bank in cash and gave it to them. Fortunately the bank called me while she was trying to make the withdrawal, and we convinced her not to do it. The police were notified, and supposedly planned to try to intercept the scammers, but I never heard anything more.

User Info Menu

I would never sell anything on CL,it's just asking for aggravation.That being said my neighbor sells on there quite sucessfully.He's tells the buyer if they want the item,they have to meet him in front of the police station and make the exchange there.

User Info Menu

I recently inquired about a super clean vintage amp on CL that was priced about 25% of value w only a front and back shot taken outdoors. I knew it was a scam just from the price so I asked for a couple more pics and got indoor pics of another amp w lots of wear. When I asked how it got so beat up he replied "defects show up more on indoor pics", LOL!
    I told him I 'd meet him at his town's police station. crickets.....

User Info Menu

I actually followed through and said send the check figuring Id get these guys busted. The check came drawn on a credit union in new york (im in ca) I knew it was scam especially since it was written for more than the amount agreed upon. I contacted my local DA office, the bank it was drawn on and the FBI offering to send pictures and complete record of "transaction". I was told that even though it was a cashiers check if it was deposited it would still be canceled although I wouldnt know this for days. Bottom line is even though this involves mail fraud (a federal offense) not to mention a host of other illegal actions none of the law enforcement agencys had any interest at all and although I was holding a cashiers check drawn on their bank the bank officers had no interest in even seeing the phony check drawn on their bank. Apparently there is more to this scam if I had actually been sucked in and tried to follow through. Point is ...no one has your back, "law enforcement" is impotent and incompetent to deal with cyber crime in the 21st century. You cannot be to cautious.

User Info Menu

Pretty common scam. They will send someone to pick up the guitar, then cancel the check. The only way to avoid scams is to ONLY accept cash. Cash ONLY. All other methods of payment can be either reversed or canceled. Get the cash, check it for authenticity. And if you don't want someone coming to your house to pick it up, meet them at a McDonald's. I've followed this method for years, and have always had a good experience on CL and Marketplace. Cash is king.