The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Due to lack of interest, I've put this guitar up for sale on consignment. However I will leave this post as many seem to enjoy the photos.

Thanks,

Len

Up for sale is my Campellone 2008 Anniversary Special. It is the same guitar as pictured on page 2 of Mark's gallery on his website. As stunningly beautiful as it is, I have too many archtops and need to downsize.

It is in totally mint condition. To me, it looks like new except for the tiniest bit of oxidation on the pickguard bracket.

Nut width is 1.71 inches.
    Scale length is 25 inches.
    Width at lower bout is 17 inches.
    Depth at lower bout is 3 inches.

Here is a photo to get you started:

Campellone 2008 30th Anniversary Special-_dsc7499-jpg

And here is a link to a gallery of 26 high resolution photos:

Photo Sharing. Your Photos Look Better Here.

Price reduced from $7,500 to $6995 plus shipping to Continental US. Firm. No trades, thanks.

I have been on the forum since 2006, have bought a guitar from our own esteemed Danny W, and have over 1000 positive feedback on Ebay under Bluejay7000.

I live in the metro NY area so if any local known forum member would like to check it out in person send me a pm.

Hoping this one stays in the forum family!

Thanks,

Len
    Last edited by Len R; 10-29-2023 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Off to Consignment

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Happy to see you've maintained this special guitar in such beautiful condition, Len - GLWTS!

Thanks Mark!

User Info Menu

Wow, her backside is spectacular! That's a real beauty, GLWTS!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Yeah - with matching rims and pickguard - it's called "raindrop quilt" - an interesting quilt variation - don't see it all that often - really nice Sitka top on this guitar, too - wish I could get more like it, but unfortunately, that source dried up a few years ago.
    Last edited by MCampellone; 10-04-2023 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Thanks, Jim. And the photos don't do it justice!

User Info Menu

Mark: I appreciate your choice of neck figure with that quilt back. Not tooo stripey, and a bit swirley at the heel. Just right! Nobody talks about tops much, but that is one heck of a piece of spruce.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Mark: I appreciate your choice of neck figure with that quilt back. Not tooo stripey, and a bit swirley at the heel. Just right! Nobody talks about tops much, but that is one heck of a piece of spruce.
    Your comments are much appreciated, ccroft - matching the neck figure with the rest of the maple is a subtle thing, but something I always do when possible. The neck on this 30th Ann. is birdseye maple, which I typically use with a quilted body. Problem is, for my 3-piece neck construction, the birdseye has to be a minimum of 1" thick, and almost all sources for birdseye are selling 4/4 rough stock milled to less than 1", so finding birdseye in the dimensions I need is difficult. On a few occasions, I've been lucky to find some hard maple with quilt-like figure, but that's relatively rare. Blister maple works great, too, but again, availability is very limited.

As for tops, you're right - they don't get much attention, but a nice silky piece of Spruce is a beautiful thing, and the top on this Anniversary guitar is a corker - not the tightest growth ring lines (which IMO doesn't necessarily matter), but so evenly spaced - and perfectly uniform color across the entire face.

User Info Menu

I like seeing the growth rings when they're that straight and even, and I like the contrast of early to late wood. The 'extra space' really sets them off. I think that tree had a happy life.

Out here VG Doug Fir is a very important wood in cabinetry. Everyone seems to want the tightest possible grain. But at a certain point it loses all character. My dad loved that stuff though because it's very easy to work with hand tools. What he would call 'A real piece of cheese'.

User Info Menu

I like seeing the growth rings when they're that straight and even, and I like the contrast of early to late wood. The 'extra space' really sets them off. I think that tree had a happy life.

Out here VG Doug Fir is a very important wood in cabinetry. Everyone seems to want the tightest possible grain. But at a certain point it loses all character. My dad loved that stuff though because it's very easy to work with hand tools. What he would call 'A real piece of cheese'.
    Ha - piece of cheese indeed! And tighter grain is generally equated with greater stiffness, but I've seen that rule broken dozens of times : )

User Info Menu

OK: the other half of my dad's wood evaluation is that courser grain Doug Fir, and especially older boards might be "Hard as a begger boys' heart."

He was in sash and door in the 30's, built houses in 40's and 50's and then back to a shop for furniture and cabinetry. I guess I really did turn out to be a chip off the old block!

User Info Menu

What a beautiful and unique looking instrument. The Sitka is very silky...yum. figured hard maple neck, uniquely figured and matched quilt back and sides. Quilt is more difficult to carve too.
    I really dig this one. Worth every penny I'm sure. Good luck with the sale. Funny, my spruce supplier dried up a few years ago too. They were in Washington state.

User Info Menu

I know this is a wonderful guitar. I offered to buy it a day ago, and then I learned that our escrow had been delayed until perhaps December 5. I told Len that he should continue to list it. Only fair.... But as soon as I'm in that money that guitar is MINE!

Damn Lahaina emergency response management incompetence!

Quote Originally Posted by Len R
    Up for sale is my Campellone 2008 Anniversary Special. It is the same guitar as pictured on page 2 of Mark's gallery on his website. As stunningly beautiful as it is, I have too many archtops and need to downsize.

It is in totally mint condition. To me, it looks like new except for the tiniest bit of oxidation on the pickguard bracket.

Nut width is 1.71 inches.
    Scale length is 25 inches.
    Width at lower bout is 17 inches.
    Depth at lower bout is 3 inches.

Here is a photo to get you started:

Campellone 2008 30th Anniversary Special-_dsc7499-jpg

And here is a link to a gallery of 26 high resolution photos:

Photo Sharing. Your Photos Look Better Here.

Price reduced from $7,500 to $6995 plus shipping to Continental US. Firm. No trades, thanks.

I have been on the forum since 2006, have bought a guitar from our own esteemed Danny W, and have over 1000 positive feedback on Ebay under Bluejay7000.

I live in the metro NY area so if any local known forum member would like to check it out in person send me a pm.

Hoping this one stays in the forum family!

Thanks,

Len
    Price reduced from $7,500 to $6,995 plus shipping.

User Info Menu

This may be my new favorite from Mark. That spruce is spectacular, and while I’m generally not a quilt guy, that back is just mesmerizing. You cannot look at that and not think, “want”. Stunning work. The f-hole binding with purfling! Damn! The details just don’t stop. Wow!

User Info Menu

I wish Mark had done a better job of aligning the strings with the grain on the top. Most of them are quite parallel but a few are out by maybe 3/32's or so! :) :) :)

User Info Menu

I wish Mark had done a better job of aligning the strings with the grain on the top. Most of them are quite parallel but a few are out by maybe 3/32's or so!
    The mind staggers

User Info Menu

Sorry. Dumb joke. I'm still amazed at how straight the grain is on that top. My post was supposed to be a testament to Mark's attention to detail.

User Info Menu

FYI, I think most of us got the joke, and the tongue in cheek kudos, there in, to MC.