The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi folks, putting my Ibanez PM120 up for sale and thought to do so here before elsewhere. I think there are a few fans of Japanese-made Ibanez here. The original Ibanez Metheny model (I think) with the love it/loathe it cutaway shape - some have noted the likeness to the black Howard Roberts guitar. This is the twin pickup version, with Super 58 pickups in bridge and neck positions. In great condition. Recently professionally set-up. Lovely guitar and great neck. The only blemish to mention is some cracking of the lacquer near the nut. See photos. Doesn't have quite enough of an acoustic sound for what I want. I am based in Formby, North West England. Would prefer local collection/delivery so the seller can see it. Failing that I can ship it. It has a new, deluxe non-original hard case to fit. Happy to field any questions here or via video call if preferred. Spec details copied below:

The PM120 features a full hollow body that is slightly thinner than than the usual jazz box with distinctive offset double cutaways with pointed horns. It has a maple top with ƒ holes and multi-layer binding and maple back and sides mated to a set-in mahogany neck with a 22-fret ebony fingerboard with binding and pearl/acrylic and abalone split block position markers. Components include a pair of Ibanez Silent 58 humbucking pickups with gold covers and individual volume controls with a master tone, a Gotoh Tune-o-matic style bridge floating on a wood base with a custom tailpiece, a bone nut, Sure Grip knobs, a stereo output jack and Gotoh tuning machines

“It took some time, several prototypes, and perseverance from all corners, but the final results are excellent. I love playing all of the various Ibanez PM models and am quite proud to be associated with them.” Said Pat.

Features:

Neck Material: Â Mahogany
    Neck Type: Â PM Prestige set-in
    Body: Â Maple top/back/sides
    Frets: Â 22 Medium frets
    Fingerboard: Â Bound Ebony
    Inlay: Â Pearl/ Abalone block inlay
    Bridge: Â Gotoh 103B bridge
    NeckPU: Â Silent 58
    BridgePU: Â Silent 58
    Hardware Colour: Gold
    Finishes: Black, Natural
    A body joint at the 17th fret makes upper fret access easier than most traditional jazz guitars.
    The Pat Metheny Signature PM120 features Super 58 pickups in bridge and neck positions.

Pickups:
    Name: SILENT 58
    Model No: SL58

Looking for £1,6000 ONO.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_141910-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_132852-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_132732-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_132736-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_132744-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_132747-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_132751-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_132757-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_132808-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_132833-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_132845-jpg Ibanez PM120 (UK)-img_20230918_141919-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Revising the description only a few hours after posting because earlier today I also enquired with a local store about a trade in value (they have an instrument I am interested in). The owner has responded to an emailed set of photos (the same as in this post) and in relation to the neck blemish, in the interests of transparency I am posting here:

“It may look rather innocuous (and is probably quite secure), but is a telltale sign of whiplash damage to the headstock – normally caused by the string tension when it has a sudden jolt or bang; even when it is in a case they are susceptible to this. We check all guitars delivered to us for this, as it isn’t uncommon to have new guitars arrive to store showing this problem (even if the box / case looks perfect). It may we just be in the lacquer, but I suspect not”.

What I can say is whether lacquer or not, that it feels absolutely solid and secure, and does not affect playability at all. As stated upfront, a collection in person is my preferred option. Where that is not possible, we can consider options. Open to offers.

User Info Menu

£1600 is a great price. My recent black-version acquisition (single pickup) was £1800. Great guitars, superb neck, great mellow tones. This shouldn’t be on sale for long.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob. I was actually tracking yours from Mak's Guitars myself a few months back. Looked a great buy, particularly with the extra body depth over the PM120.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doug80
    Revising the description only a few hours after posting because earlier today I also enquired with a local store about a trade in value (they have an instrument I am interested in). The owner has responded to an emailed set of photos (the same as in this post) and in relation to the neck blemish, in the interests of transparency I am posting here:

“It may look rather innocuous (and is probably quite secure), but is a telltale sign of whiplash damage to the headstock – normally caused by the string tension when it has a sudden jolt or bang; even when it is in a case they are susceptible to this. We check all guitars delivered to us for this, as it isn’t uncommon to have new guitars arrive to store showing this problem (even if the box / case looks perfect). It may we just be in the lacquer, but I suspect not”.

What I can say is whether lacquer or not, that it feels absolutely solid and secure, and does not affect playability at all. As stated upfront, a collection in person is my preferred option. Where that is not possible, we can consider options. Open to offers.
    You did the right thing by showing it. It's not for you to know the ins and outs of such things. Many would try to hide such a detail so fair play to you.

User Info Menu

Thanks Archie. Hope you are enjoying the D'Aquisto Jazz Line - that was another I was following with interest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doug80
    Thanks Archie. Hope you are enjoying the D'Aquisto Jazz Line - that was another I was following with interest.
    It’s a fun guitar. Very much looking forward to putting it up against a Borys.

User Info Menu

Bump!

User Info Menu

Bump and reduction to £1,350.

User Info Menu

Absolute bargain.

User Info Menu

Not much interest here but for the sake of completeness, this one is no longer available.