The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

They are so hard to come by.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No but I’m in the US and selling a blonde one: 2014.

Maybe you can bug our friend Hammertone to help you get it across the border?

Yeah, I don't want to pay import tax on it. Reverb prices for L5's are all over the map:
    Gibson L-5 CES 1986 - 1992 | Reverb Canada
    (scroll down for historical data on actual sales)
    Gibson Custom Shop L-5 CES | Reverb Canada

My budget 10000 - 12000 CAD (7000-9000 USD). This seems not unrealistic based on what I see on reverb.

It just occurred to me the there is a "For Sale" section on the forum. This thread probably should've been posted there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Thanks, I saw that one. Folkway isn't very close to me, I might go and try it in the next couple of weeks if I get a chance. To be honest, when it comes to Gibson archtops, I find that I tend to like the 90's and early 2000's models more than the vintage ones. I might wait until I come across one in that era. But yes, Folkway is a good place to check for L5's. They seem to do a good job at listing their store inventory on their websites. Many similar stores don't list everything on their websites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Yeah, I don't want to pay import tax on it. Reverb prices for L5's are all over the map:
    Gibson L-5 CES 1986 - 1992 | Reverb Canada
    (scroll down for historical data on actual sales)
    Gibson Custom Shop L-5 CES | Reverb Canada
    My budget 10000 - 12000 CAD (7000-9000 USD). This seems not unrealistic based on what I see on reverb.
    There is no import tax for an L-5CES coming into Canada. Just shipping cost and HST.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    There is no import tax for an L-5CES coming into Canada. Just shipping cost and HST.
    Everytime I ordered gear from the US (amps, guitar parts etc), I had to pay an additional import tax billed by the shipping company. Why do you believe an L5 wouldn't be subject to import taxes?

User Info Menu

Everytime I ordered gear from the US (amps, guitar parts etc), I had to pay an additional import tax billed by the shipping company. Why do you believe an L5 wouldn't be subject to import taxes?
    Canada and the US are signatories to the Canada-United States-Mexico Free Trade Agreement (or CUSMA for short) as it's known in Canada. This supercedes the previous free trade agreement, known as NAFTA, which came into effect in 1994. That superceded a less comprehensive free trade agreement dating back to 1988.

Musical instruments (and other goods) manufactured in the United States, Canada and Mexico cross the borders of these countries without any import taxes, tariffs or duties. Sales or value-added taxes may be charged (for the most part, one pays HST for goods brought into Canada, just as one pays HST for goods purchased within Canada), but that's not an import tax. Depending on how goods are shipped, freight companies like FedEx and UPS charge "brokerage fees" for handling customs brokerage paperwork, separately from the shipping cost. These are not taxes.

One can do the customs clearance paperwork oneself, avoiding these fees. One can ship via the US Postal Service into Canada, which has no brokerage fees. One can have goods shipped to a drop-off/pickup location in the US near the Canada-US border, drive over the border, pick them up oneself, and incur no import taxes or fees other that the HST.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Canada and the US are signatories to the Canada-United States-Mexico Free Trade Agreement (or CUSMA for short) as it's known in Canada. This supercedes the previous free trade agreement, known as NAFTA, which came into effect in 1994. That superceded a less comprehensive free trade agreement dating back to 1988.

Musical instruments (and other goods) manufactured in the United States, Canada and Mexico cross the borders of these countries without any import taxes, tariffs or duties. Sales or value-added taxes may be charged (for the most part, one pays HST for goods brought into Canada, just as one pays HST for goods purchased within Canada), but that's not an import tax. Depending on how goods are shipped, freight companies like FedEx and UPS charge "brokerage fees" for handling customs brokerage paperwork, separately from the shipping cost. These are not taxes.

One can do the customs clearance paperwork oneself, avoiding these fees. One can ship via the US Postal Service into Canada, which has no brokerage fees. One can have goods shipped to a drop-off/pickup location in the US near the Canada-US border, drive over the border, pick them up oneself, and incur no import taxes or fees other that the HST.
    OK, thanks. I do remember paying customs duty related fees (other than brokerage) but you're probably right that they weren't technically import taxes.

Buying from a Canadian seller is still preferable to me than having to drive to the border and do the paperwork. Does reverb add HST/GST to items bought from Canadian sellers or does it depend on the seller? But alternatively you are saying that if I ask a US seller to ship via USPS I won't be charged brokerage fees and I won't be charged HST twice (ie Reverb or the seller won't charge their sales tax on international shipment)?

There is a recent discussion about this on a Canadian forum. Looks like people had different experiences when buying from US sellers:
    Reverb charges tax now, so what about customs? | The Canadian Guitar Forum
    Last edited by Tal_175; 10-03-2023 at 04:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    No but I’m in the US and selling a blonde one: 2014.

Maybe you can bug our friend Hammertone to help you get it across the border?
    Tal175 you want to buy Omps guitar. He is a true gentleman and you can be sure it is a good one. In the long run a few dollars over duties and such for a guitar like Omps has is nothing. This guitar looks great, I am sure plays fantastic, and the condition is outstanding. If you are looking for the real deal L5 stop and go here.

User Info Menu

I shipped 2 from US into BC and paid GST/HST only. That was using US Postal.

Last one came in through UPS. Mostly sales tax only. $26 Can brokerage on a $5.5K US guitar. Pffft...

UPS used to play the brokerage game a lot harder back when I was bringing in photo gear 10 to 15 years ago. I started avoiding them, and it was back to sales tax only. B&H had a special Canadian thing with Purolator.

I hope you find one you like Tal, and I hope it all goes as smoothly for you as it has for me so far.

User Info Menu

contact The Twelfth Fret, they might have one that's not listed on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by street
    contact The Twelfth Fret, they might have one that's not listed on their site.
    I like Twelfth Fret but I don't understand why they don't put their full inventory on their website. They can at least make sure to put just the photo of every guitar they receive on Instagram. Am I supposed to call them every few days and ask if they received an L5?

One time I went to the store to reduce the price of a guitar I had on consignment as I assumed it was still in the store, they told me that they sold it 6 months ago and gave me the check. I thought they would call or email to notify me after they sold my guitar. But I guess customers are expected to call the store regularly to check the status of the sale.

User Info Menu

They seem to post more on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM
    They seem to post more on Instagram
    Yeah they do. The instagram photos are also imbedded into the home page which, as I said, makes me wonder why they don't make sure to put the photo of every guitar they receive. Nowadays having all the inventory listed online is pretty much the standard for even the smaller, one man operation used instrument stores in Toronto. If you don't see it on the website, they don't have it. That's very convenient.

Don't get me wrong. I've been buying and selling guitars via the Twelfth fret for years and I'll continue to do so. Their knowledge and integrity is top notch.

User Info Menu

Not sure if you found an L5CES in Canada yet. There was a very nice one for sale on Kijiji a year or so ago, but the ad eventually disappeared. Today, I noticed an ad for a blonde 1990 L5CES that appears to be the same guitar, or one just like it. Gibson L-5 CES | Guitars | Oakville / Halton Region | Kijiji
    I think this is a different seller than the previous ad, so it would be prudent to do some due diligence.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Not sure if you found an L5CES in Canada yet. There was a very nice one for sale on Kijiji a year or so ago, but the ad eventually disappeared. Today, I noticed an ad for a blonde 1990 L5CES that appears to be the same guitar, or one just like it. Gibson L-5 CES | Guitars | Oakville / Halton Region | Kijiji
    I think this is a different seller than the previous ad, so it would be prudent to do some due diligence.
    Keith
    Thanks Keith. I became aware of the guitar in the ad the day after I transfered payment for this one:
    1989 Gibson L-5CES

The one I got is from the same era as the blonde one but it's sunburst which is my personal preference. Joe said that it only had one owner and it seemed like it was barely used. The price was very good (similarly priced as the one in the ad) so I jumped on it even though it was an US ad.

I should've perhaps contacted omphalopsychos also since I ended up getting a guitar from US but I'm pretty sure his guitar would have been more expensive since it's a much newer model.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 10-19-2023 at 08:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Not sure if you found an L5CES in Canada yet. There was a very nice one for sale on Kijiji a year or so ago, but the ad eventually disappeared. Today, I noticed an ad for a blonde 1990 L5CES that appears to be the same guitar, or one just like it. Gibson L-5 CES | Guitars | Oakville / Halton Region | Kijiji...
    I've had a chance to inspect this guitar and it's a lovely guitar at the right price. If anyone in the US wants it, I can expedite the deal, shipping to a US address from the US. I can arrange for shipping within Canada or to anywhere in the world as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images Anybody selling an L5CES in Canada?-gib-l5cesn-89_7142-jpg Anybody selling an L5CES in Canada?-gib-l5cesn-89_7149-jpg 

User Info Menu

so you own it, are brokering a deal for $, just doing it to be helpful or?
    just curious......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    so you own it, are brokering a deal for $, just doing it to be helpful or?
    just curious......
    Being helpful to a friend.

User Info Menu

Thanks Keith. I became aware of the guitar in the ad the day after I transfered payment for this one:
    1989 Gibson L-5CES

The one I got is the same era as the blonde one but it's sunburst which is my personal preference. Joe said that it only had one owner and it seemed like it was barely used. The price was very good (similarly priced as the one in the ad) so I jumped on it even though it was a US ad.

I should've perhaps contacted omphalopsychos also since I ended up getting a guitar from US but I'm pretty sure his guitar would have been more expensive since it's much newer.
    I’m just happy to hear that you got one, and it looks like a beauty. I really like that era, with the ebony insert in the tailpiece. I’m sure you will really enjoy your L5. I live in Ontario too, and it can be challenging to find some models of guitars locally. We certainly don’t have access to as many guitars as our friends in the US.
    Keith