The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

I realize prices are over the top, but maybe this is nothing new. Still, when it has to be a Gibson, what are the markers for a reasonable price? Looking at a mint, unplayed 2015 Super 400 CES natural for $15k, shipped. Expensive, yes, but not as much as another mint condition 2008 Super 400 on Reverb for 25k.

Are Reverb prices even a guide? Not much to go in there with the "sold listings" filter.

Thank you for any perspective on pricing on these or L5's.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Links might help…

lots of incredible Super 400s on Reverb right now, wowee.
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 11-03-2021 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Links might help…

lots of incredible Super 400s on Reverb right now, wowee.
    Opposite ends of spectrum. Others on Reverb are a little lower. I included an L-5:

2015 Gibson Custom Shop Super 400 Archtop Unplayed Mint OHSC Magnificent Ax *769 — Panther Guitars - Discount On-Line Guitar Sales

Gibson Custom Shop Super 400 CES 2008 Natural | joey's Gear | Reverb

Gibson L5 CES Nat 1996 | Retro Deco | Reverb

User Info Menu

Have you seen these actual sale prices listed on Reverb? The trend has certainly been upward, like almost all guitars, but what’s left over is often outliers, and there will often be some outliers and some sketchy results in the Reverb records too. Usually the middle numbers are about right if you’re looking at Reverb records. Of course, a Super 400 doesn’t sell nearly as often as a Les Paul Standard, making it harder to find accurate comps.

No, I did not see these. I will go back for a look. Thank you for this.

User Info Menu

Are you using the "Sold Listings" checkbox?

You might see more previous listings by instead appending the url with "&showsold=true", so:

reverb.com/marketplace?query=gibson super 400&product_type=electric-guitars&showsold=true

instead of:

reverb.com/marketplace?query=gibson super 400&product_type=electric-guitars&show_only_sold=true

Just in case seeing more past prices helps .

Quote Originally Posted by Alea

You might see more previous listings by instead appending the url with "&showsold=true", so:

reverb.com/marketplace?query=gibson super 400&product_type=electric-guitars&showsold=true

instead of:

reverb.com/marketplace?query=gibson super 400&product_type=electric-guitars&show_only_sold=true

yes, thank you.

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that if you are just looking at the sold listings, you will actually see the the asking price at the time of sale which is not necessarily the actual selling price. The Reverb Price Guide will show you the actual selling price.

User Info Menu

Looks like folks are swinging for the fences with the asking prices on the Super 400s.

I like the 2015 vs. the 2008. Any chance to play first would be important for me. If it's unplayed, how is the intonation? Has the case lining color bled into the binding?

Good luck!!!

Looks like folks are swinging for the fences with the asking prices on the Super 400s.

I like the 2015 vs. the 2008. Any chance to play first would be important for me. If it's unplayed, how is the intonation? Has the case lining color bled into the binding?

Good luck!!!
    Agreed. Good point. I will ask on that now. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Also keep in mind that some guitar sellers on Reverb settle on a price and make a deal outside of Reverb to avoid the fees and then remove the listing so that sale doesn't show up on Reverb searches.
    Just sayin'...

User Info Menu

A lot of money was just printed during this ongoing pandemic and so asset prices are up. It is hard to keep up. What a guitar sold for a couple of months ago may no longer be what it will bring in the market.

If it is something you really want, look at what is on the market, make some offers and make the best deal you can. Buying a high dollar guitar sight unseen without a solid return policy is a pretty big risk. Buying from a reputable dealer or a trusted longtime member of this forum may be your best bet. Good luck! I almost sold my sunburst Super 400 to a fellow forum member for $6500 a few years back. I am sure glad that I kept it. I suspect that I could get $8500-$9,000 for it today, but I like having it, so I won't be finding that out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    I realize prices are over the top, but maybe this is nothing new. Still, when it has to be a Gibson, what are the markers for a reasonable price? Looking at a mint, unplayed 2015 Super 400 CES natural for $15k, shipped. Expensive, yes, but not as much as another mint condition 2008 Super 400 on Reverb for 25k.

Are Reverb prices even a guide? Not much to go in there with the "sold listings" filter.

Thank you for any perspective on pricing on these or L5's.
    My SWAG technique is to look at sold listings that accepted offers and assume the market is 15-20% below the average of recent-ish ones. This is very ballpark and quick and dirty, but when I was doing a lot of archtop hunting 1-2 years ago, it seem to correlate decently with the price guide data. The other thing I've done is to talk to people I know who are more active buyers and sellers than I am to get a sense of what they've paid for similar items and/or their opinion on pricing. My main caveat is that my last search was not specifically for a vintage high-end Gibson, so these tricks may not apply to that. I'd also be skeptical about condition. on a scale of P-F-G-VG-E-M, where poor is beat to hell and no really playable and Mint is brand new, for most Reverb listings assume everything is a notch below the stated condition absent really convincing evidence to the contrary.

User Info Menu

This forum is a blessing for buying guitars. Normally the folks are great and I have done well dealing with them.

Reverb is not a barometer of prices as far as selling real price. Some great dealers are…..Larry Wexer for one.

Clearly Gibson archtops are going up fast. They are not making them and they are a world known product. SS had it well. Find one and go..

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Stringswinger;1156185] Buying a high dollar guitar sight unseen without a solid return policy is a pretty big risk. Buying from a reputable dealer or a trusted longtime member of this forum may be your best bet. /QUOTE]

Agreed! A friend of mine got burned that way. People aren't always truthful about the condition of the guitar, sad to say. That's why I always buy new.

Speaking of new, you may indeed be able to order a new one. For $16K and with a return policy. The figuring is not like it was in Henry's era though. That's a shame, and a little puzzling to me.

Gibson Custom Super 400 Hollowbody Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

[QUOTE=Donplaysguitar;1156220]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Buying a high dollar guitar sight unseen without a solid return policy is a pretty big risk. Buying from a reputable dealer or a trusted longtime member of this forum may be your best bet. /QUOTE]

Agreed! A friend of mine got burned that way. People aren't always truthful about the condition of the guitar, sad to say. That's why I always buy new.

Speaking of new, you may indeed be able to order a new one. For $16K and with a return policy. The figuring is not like it was in Henry's era though. That's a shame, and a little puzzling to me.

Gibson Custom Super 400 Hollowbody Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend
    Who knew! This is a Thinline. Gotta go whole hog with the standard rim.

User Info Menu

Sure, but you can probably order whatever you want. They (Musicians Friend and GC) have the L5 and LeGrande for order too.

Interestingly they show the L5 to have a 24.75" scale length. I wonder if that's a mistake.

User Info Menu

instead of:

Sure, but you can probably order whatever you want. They (Musicians Friend and GC) have the L5 and LeGrande for order too.

Interestingly they show the L5 to have a 24.75" scale length. I wonder if that's a mistake.
    Looking at these now. I'd assumed Gibson was no longer making Archtops. Obviously not the case.

13k including taxes for a new L-5; 15k for a mint, unplayed Super 400, 2015. Still a lot cheaper than my Hyundai.

User Info Menu

They never stopped AFAIK. People have assumed that they stopped because they (Gibson) don't show them in their online "line-up", but we have seen and heard otherwise from Gibson themselves.

There is a brand new L4 for sale that was posted on this forum a few days ago. That's a carved Gibson archtop.

It's certainly true that we don't see them being produced in significant numbers and readily available at the usual big dealers. At minimum it has been confusing.

2021 Gibson L-4 CES?

They never stopped AFAIK. People have assumed that they stopped because they (Gibson) don't show them in their online "line-up", but we have seen and heard otherwise from Gibson themselves.

There is a brand new L4 for sale that was posted on this forum a few days ago. That's a carved Gibson archtop.

It's certainly true that we don't see them being produced in significant numbers and readily available at the usual big dealers. At minimum it has been confusing.

2021 Gibson L-4 CES?
    Yes, I posted that days back and thought it was a novel discovery.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    Yes, I posted that days back and thought it was a novel discovery.
    Lol, Oh it was you. Well anyway, it looks like you have a number of options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Thanks! I should really make an introduction thread, but I'm always shy when it comes to things like that .

User Info Menu

Thanks! I should really make an introduction thread, but I'm always shy when it comes to things like that .
    The "Are You New?" sticky thread exists for that specific purpose. Feel free to introduce yourself. It's painless, and free.

User Info Menu

Looks like Eric Schoenberg has a 1971 Super 400CES and he’s asking less than 10k for it.

Gibson Super 400 CESN Full Body Electric Guitar, circa 1971 | om28.com