The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

It's not through Reverb or any other online company. A friend got an email from a European dude with pictures of the guitar that he claims was given to him by a friend, so there's no receipt or anything proving he has it, other than the pictures.
    How do I know this is on the level, and he won't just keep my money, and never send me the guitar?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ask him to make a short phone video. But even then, if you don't feel comfortable, walk away. A lot of us in Europe are nice people, but not all. Unlike the US, where everyone is nice...

User Info Menu

Use PayPal? That gives some protection and a possibility to ask money back if nothing is delivered, although not a 100% guarantee of course.

I usually check the person out. If I can’t find anything, no social media accounts, no pictures, articles or anything, than I bale out (although I have friends and colleagues who still can’t be found online, so it doesn’t mean everything, but it’s a red flag for online business for me).

User Info Menu

Personally, I would be very suspicious of any "cold canvas" email that I received offering to sell me an instrument, unless they had been introduced by someone I know and trust. I would take this approach even if they were a "nice American" (wink to Rob Mac) as opposed to an "untrustworthy European" ()

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    Personally, I would be very suspicious of any "cold canvas" email that I received offering to sell me an instrument, unless they had been introduced by someone I know and trust. I would take this approach even if they were a "nice American" (wink to Rob Mac) as opposed to an "untrustworthy European" ()
    Agreed, if an email like that comes out of the blue, I don't even react to it.

User Info Menu

He will keep your money and never send you the guitar.

Reverb has lots of nice guitars, most of them in the USA.

User Info Menu

On a couple of occasions that friends have been scammed that way, it was with photos, detailed specs, email conversations etc.

In addition to the price which was great (but not alarmingly great), the sellers were persuasive enough to make them send money without PayPal or credit card (one sent money with Western Union to Italy for a 5e3 amp, another did direct bank deposit to the UK for a guitar). Both clever people with tons of experience buying online.

So don't cross red lines, and be thorough. I've bought stuff overseas, don't think I would do it unless i could check out the seller somewhere, eBay, forums, real life.. I mean why risk it. Especially if in the Us, what's the deal one can't find there and has to look to Europe?

User Info Menu

ask to register in reverb or ebay, then go ahead.
    Reverb fees are painfully high, but that is a price to be more safe and have a controlled process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    ask to register in reverb or ebay, then go ahead.
    Reverb fees are painfully high, but that is a price to be more safe and have a controlled process.
    Reverb’s fees just went up. But if you want security, it’s the best way to go as a buyer. If you want that specific guitar that bad, offer to pay the markup for the selling fees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    It's not through Reverb or any other online company. A friend got an email from a European dude with pictures of the guitar that he claims was given to him by a friend, so there's no receipt or anything proving he has it, other than the pictures.
    How do I know this is on the level, and he won't just keep my money, and never send me the guitar?
    Perhaps one of the nice European members here could check it out for you. Difficult in pandemic times but if the seller declines then you know where you stand.

User Info Menu

... keep my money, and never send me the guitar?
    There is no question here. You already know this. We know it too.

User Info Menu

Run Toto run. Why would some stranger just pick him out of the blue and offer him a guitar? How did they know he played guitar? Sounds like they've been searching forums for potential victims and making them email offers hoping for a bite. Tell him to ship the guitar and you'll send the money as soon as your $15,000,000 from the Nigerian price arrives.

User Info Menu

Unless he has some obvious link to you (a member here with some history maybe), just don't. There are enough cool guitars in the world without putting yourself in jeopardy.

User Info Menu

Why would anybody even consider buying a guitar (or anything) this way?

User Info Menu

I have sold a few guitars to strangers (to me) through this forum where I had to ship the guitar from the USA to Europe. Being that I am painfully honest, they had nothing to fear, but they did incur some risk.

And I would have no problem buying from a stranger in Europe (or anywhere else in the world) if they were long time, frequent posters here (and I used Paypal along with my American Express card). But even under those circumstances, I would still be incurring some risk. The only way to avoid guitar buying risk altogether is to not buy any more guitars.

User Info Menu

The question is: is this such a special guitar that it is worth the risk. If the deal seems to good to be true, it is bogus.

There are so many options to buy a guitar safely, this guitar has to be very special to take this risk and potential hassle

User Info Menu

You don't, not from a stranger such as the one you described. If he wants to sell you the guitar he sends it to you first and you pay later.

You could set up a Skype session where you could interview him and ask to see the guitar. We are in the age of video-telephony.

I don't know how safe Paypal is crossborder. Without proof of a sales listing, how is Paypal going to protect you? Easier for a buyer to scam a seller via Paypal than the converse.

You could agree to split the crossborder fees: 4.4% plus base fee.

I have wired lots of money to strangers for guitars but I don't recommend this practice to anyone. It requires a lot of blind faith and naïve trust in the other party.

User Info Menu

Find someone to check the guitar in person.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Ask him to make a short phone video. But even then, if you don't feel comfortable, walk away. A lot of us in Europe are nice people, but not all. Unlike the US, where everyone is nice...
    Gotta love this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have sold a few guitars to strangers (to me) through this forum where I had to ship the guitar from the USA to Europe. Being that I am painfully honest, they had nothing to fear, but they did incur some risk.

And I would have no problem buying from a stranger in Europe (or anywhere else in the world) if they were long time, frequent posters here (and I used Paypal along with my American Express card). But even under those circumstances, I would still be incurring some risk. The only way to avoid guitar buying risk altogether is to not buy any more guitars.
    He's not a member of this or any other forum, and I can't find him online. I bought a 7K guitar from a dude in Texas for 7K, from TGP, who was a complete stranger to me. The guitar came, but the action was still too high with the bridge screwed into the top of the guitar, actually digging deep into it!
    It took me two months to get my money back, because the guy said he went on a European vacation.
    Last edited by sgcim; 09-01-2020 at 05:14 PM.

User Info Menu

I sometimes get offers from nice people in Nigeria who want to make me rich. So far, I'm still not rich. But I also have lost no money, because I don't reply. Another bother I've encountered lately is that someone got my phone number and name, and I get all sorts of messages trying to get my money.

User Info Menu

btw it is totally not about Europe to US, this would be the same case within US, or US to Europe, or within EU, etc. You can be cheated by a stranger living in the same country as you or living the same continent as you.

User Info Menu

There is a big difference when talking about a different country. If in your own country, the police will help in a lot of cases, as there are laws against fraud. But if in another country it is practically impossible for anything to happen legally.

User Info Menu

Is the guitar so special that it is worth the worry?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Is the guitar so special that it is worth the worry?
    ... or... Is it its price too good to be true? (then it is not true)