The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

For my home recording of solo guitar, I'm using a Henriksen Bud Ten, Royer R-121 mic, Royer dBoost, Focusrite Clarett 2Pre audio interface into Logic Pro for my DAW.

What I'm hearing through the amp as I'm recording sounds perfect for me. However, what the DAW is capturing sounds dull no matter how I place the mic. I'm assuming part of the reason is that the Henriksen has a separate 1" tweeter which the mic isn't picking up. Is there something (a box of sorts) that I can use to shape my tone after the mic?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The R-121 is a ribbon mic. I usually think of ribbon mics as warm and not having the same crisp high end of a condenser mic. Which seem to be the current go to standard mic. (Although I have never used a R-121).

Maybe an equalizer would help.

User Info Menu

Edit:
    You know, I have a Creation Audio Labs MK 4.23 Clean Boost here somewhere. I think I may give that a try and hear what happens.

User Info Menu

For solo guitar, and given you have a tweeter on the Hendrickson, I'd experiment with placing your mic further away from the speaker so it picks up more of the tweeter. You can also play with placement relative to the main speaker and the tweeter to change the sound.

I'd suggest first working on dialing in the mic placement to your preferred tone before using any eq or other plugins on your DAW.

Is the dboost necessary? That's also something to experiment with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    Is the dboost necessary? That's also something to experiment with.
    Insofar as the dBoost, yes it is necessary for that mic. But your point about backing off the amp in order to pick up the tweeter is a good suggestion. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy View Post
    [...] What I'm hearing through the amp as I'm recording sounds perfect for me. However, what the DAW is capturing sounds dull no matter how I place the mic. [...]
    Do you mean what you're hearing with no headphones coming acoustically from the amp? If so, how does it sound if you monitor it directly through the Focusrite (before it goes into the DAW)?

User Info Menu

What you miss are the reflections/ambience of the room. Reverb plugins have this option, which adds short delays in a range of times to emulate walls.

in ProTools I add between 15% and 20% medium-room ambience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post

I'd suggest first working on dialing in the mic placement to your preferred tone before using any eq or other plugins on your DAW.
    Absolutely, the mic placement is important. It should be back from the amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena View Post
    Do you mean what you're hearing with no headphones coming acoustically from the amp? If so, how does it sound if you monitor it directly through the Focusrite (before it goes into the DAW)?
    Yes, just what is coming from the amp. I'll have a listen through the headphones connected to the Focusrite and compare.

User Info Menu

You can have a looper play through the amp and move the mic around listening through headphones. Or use an amp plugin when mixing, they usually feel lackluster but sound good.