The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56
    Quote Originally Posted by bloos66 View Post
    No problem. The troubleshooting link still works, it's on the Sweetwater site, getting-started-universal-audio-apollo... hope it works out for you..
    Yep. I'm going through the sweetwater troubleshooting guides.

Regardless of the instrument, if you get a signal in the UA console and you have set up Windows and Reaper correctly, then I can see no obvious reason why you shouldn't at least get a input signal in Reaper as well. Make sure input volume meter is up. All your screenshots look fine to me...
    Yeah I have no idea what's going on. I'll try a new cable.

Ouch - digital piano, I should have guessed from your name and picture ... my fault, accept my apologies...
    It's ok. I just rage quit organ. I'm going back to piano because I'm best at it. I was good at bass, but that's no fun. And kind of shoddy at guitar and organ even tho those were fun. At least I'm good at something.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

See if there's a firmware update for the UA...

^ I reinstalled the latest driver pack.

One thing I remembered is that when it worked it would say connecting Apollo Twin when I turned it on. Now it just does a beep.

I got the new cable. Doesn't work.

Another thought I had is it might have stopped working around the time I updated to Windows 11.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 04-08-2024 at 11:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
    Another thought I had is it might have stopped working around the time I updated to Windows 11.
    Hi JS,

troubleshooting is tricky if I/we can't see what's going on. Going back to the information and screenshots you provided, everything looked pretty much ok:
    - audio interface connected and recognized by Windows
    - piano connected and you said that you can see the input signal on input 1 (please confirm that input 1 has a signal)
    - drivers installed
    - DAW is running, ASIO drivers selected, input 1 selected, output 1-2 selected (which I assume is for the external monitors) - Note - I assume it's input 1, i think you 2 to chose from. Ensure gain is high enough to get a full signal (-12db or similar)
    - DAW has explicit access to microphone in Windows 11

Inside the DAW, check again the ASIO drivers and input/output port configurations. Perhaps load a mp3/wav track into the DAW and play it back just to check that you can hear it in the monitors/headphones.

Create a empty track, ensure the input is set to input 1, output is set to Output 1/2 ....arm the track, ensure monitoring is on, then play the piano .... if the audio interface gets a signal, that's great. If the DAW settings are correct, you should also see a signal in DAW track...

Edit - re Windows 11
    - In Settings - System - Sound - check that the Speakers and Input point to the audio interface and that the volume settings are up
    - for the Audio Interface under Sound, click on Advanced - All Sound Devices, then for both Input and Output Devices for the UA, check the settings for 'Allow apps to use this device for audio'

Edit #2 - re Windows 11
    the first thing I'd do to make sure that the audio interface works in Win11 is to connect it to the PC, check the Audio settings to ensure that the ASIO drivers are selected, then play an mp3/youtube video. If you hear the song, then all is well. If not, start the trouble-shooting (cable, connection, speakers, audio settings, drivers, etc...)

Perhaps go through this list, tell us what's working and when you run into issues. We are going to get this resolved !!!!
    Cheers, Paul
    Last edited by bloos66; 04-09-2024 at 06:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Are you downloading the UA software via the UA Connect App?

UA says the Apollo Twin is compatible with Windows 11... as if that fixed everything...

^ I downloaded the lastest driver pack from the website.

Thx Paul, I'll go through that checklist.

An mp3 played through the interface but no input from the piano.

User Info Menu

If you click-drag an mp3 or wav file into Reaper, will that then play through the interface?

^ Yes

User Info Menu

JS, I noticed - if you go back to your post #12 with the image of the Reaper track, it looks to me that you have monitoring disabled on the track. Click on the speaker symbol until Monitoring is enabled. Perhaps this is the reason why you can't hear the piano sound ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    If you click-drag an mp3 or wav file into Reaper, will that then play through the interface?
    You said, yes. In that case Reaper is working and the audio output from the pc to the interface is working and the driver is working and the USB cable is good. That eliminates a lot of the variables.

If you arm the track and play the piano, are the meters in Reaper moving?

Can you plug the audio cable from the piano into a powered speaker or guitar/piano amp and see if you are getting anything?

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    You said, yes. In that case Reaper is working and the audio output from the pc to the interface is working and the driver is working and the USB cable is good. That eliminates a lot of the variables.
    Yep

If you arm the track and play the piano, are the meters in Reaper moving?
    No

Can you plug the audio cable from the piano into a powered speaker or guitar/piano amp and see if you are getting anything?
    It activates the level readings on the interface, but I'll double check on an amp. Yes, it works.

User Info Menu

I'm only good at the obvious low hanging fruit, you may have checked already everything I say. If so, sorry about that.

If the interface has a direct button or dial, try that and see if you are getting anything in your phones.

Also, if the interface has another input, try that.

No, thanks for taking the time. I tried all the inputs and got nothing. I didn't see a direct or dial button but tried fiddling with all the buttons and got nothing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloos66 View Post
    JS, I noticed - if you go back to your post #12 with the image of the Reaper track, it looks to me that you have monitoring disabled on the track. Click on the speaker symbol until Monitoring is enabled. Perhaps this is the reason why you can't hear the piano sound ....
    If you look closely at the post, you'll see the arming button is red, and the speaker icon is not blank, indicating that recording is armed. It was a good thing to check, though.

I tried fiddling with the monitoring button and got nothing.

User Info Menu

Let's go back to Universal Audio, you seem to be doing everything right in Windows/Reaper. Have a look at this website - Troubleshooting 'No Audio Output' on Apollo Interfaces - Just a moment... (just click on the link, the forum software seems to suppress the URLs)

Start up the UA Console application and to through the various settings/controls.....

That link was only about no sound from the headphones. I get sound from the headphones when I play an mp3. I didn't see any other useful tips in the UA troubleshooting. I think the thing is friggin cursed. It happened on 2 laptops where it would work all the time, then work intermittently, then not work at all. Wtf?

User Info Menu

After a bit of googling, it seems that a lot of people have had the same problem. For instance:

"I think I just had this exact problem, everything was working perfectly yesterday, powered up today and no output! The console I/O Matrix had just completely changed all the routing, switched back from 'custom' to 'default' and it was fine. Super strange!"
    and
    "I reset the I/o matrix in UAD console then re-downloaded UAD software, one of which solved the problem. When I choose the internal speakers it worked as excepted to answer your question. "

Most issues point to the Console and itsa various routing settings. Perhaps completely reset the Console to its default settings, and/or un-/install. Quite a few YT videos about the exact same problems as well....

User Info Menu

According to the Apollo Twin manual, you can use it with Console without a DAW. Have you tried that?

Thx guys, I'll get after those suggestions.

I'm getting sound in the console application and reaper. Thx for your help guys.

Everything seemed to work as soon as I opened console. Weird.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 04-11-2024 at 02:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Hooray! As my IT partner used to say, it's better to be lucky than smart.

Sheesh, a whole week of chasing down this snafu. Glad that it's working now.

Yep. I knew it was going to take forever to figure out so I just started the thread and didn't worry about it. Like bloos said, it was just some small thing. Thx again!
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 04-11-2024 at 10:34 PM.