The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Recently discovered an interesting online app called "LALAL.AI" which actually removes things from an mp3 file giving you a great track to practice or perform with. For a long time, I've tried to make a backing track for a Herb Alpert tune called "Winds of Barcelona" as recorded by Wes Montgomery on the 'California Dreaming' album but could never come up with anything I was happy with. Someone on a Facebook group I belong to suggested LALAL.AI so I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised. There's a free trial but you have to subscribe to be able to download results but it's not overly expensive. I downloaded the mp3 of the tune from You Tube with something called Y2Mate, then uploaded the mp3 to LALAL and within a couple minutes, it split the guitar part from the rest of the track and gave me an mp3 of the track less guitar and another of just the guitar and it's pretty much flawless. I also did "California Dreaming" from the same album with the same results. I plan on doing "Windy" tomorrow. Might be something someone here might want to check out.

Pretty cool stuff

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just learned about the moises app from the playing-with-recordings thread. I used it to split apart some steely dan and earth, wind & fire. It’s been a really cool experience over the last couple of days, to “lock in” with chuck rainey and verdine white.

User Info Menu

I've used it a little more over the last few days with good and not so good results. Tried to split a Ventures track for a guy and there was just too much guitar going on to effectively pull out just the lead; in the second case, I tried the Wes version of 'One For My Baby' and it wouldn't work at all until I told it to remove the 'acoustic' guitar (instead of electric) as he played it in the lower register.

Interesting app and can be very useful but you have to be selective or you'll waste your minutes which is how they charge. You buy 'x' number of minutes and they deduct however many you use for a particular tune. I went for the $35 plan and I've got just under 500 minutes left to play with.

User Info Menu

I just got Moises and spent a few hours loading in some old jazz faves. For the most part it works pretty well.

The app sort of has templates to tell it what to listen for and which track to put it on. In the free version you get a Vocals, Drums, Bass and Other. I tried Stolen Moments and if failed miserably. Well, I guess it did exactly what it said it would, but that turned out to be Drums, Bass, and Everything Else. Pretty useless. Couldn't kill the horns without killing keys and vice versa.

So I decided to risk something like $4 and sign up for monthly 'Premium.' There's a preset for Wind, Vocals, Drums, Bass, and Other. Keys end up in Other so you can kill horns or keys independently. On Joy Spring the piano track was mostly there, but it did sorta clip a few notes in spots. Still plenty good enough for a backing track to play the head and solo over. And it's the actual guys!

Maybe the pro version does Wind, Drums, Bass, Keys and Other. I guess guitar would go to other. Doesn't seem to have a template that includes Guitar, Keys and Wind for EG.

It did really well with Speak No Evil, Footprints, Armageddon and few others. Got a bit confused about Wind vs Vocals for Wayne on Iris in spots, but still useable and he's still in Wind. Vocal picks up a few other odd artifacts as well so it gets muted.

I'm currently waiting for it to process Stolen Moments again with the Premium options. It's taking quite a while. I think it has a harder time with jazz in general. Who doesn't?

I was hoping Moises might replace Amazing Slow Downer as well as iReal, but I think I'll still be using those as well for the time being. I got the desktop version, but it still stores, accesses and loads into the app from the cloud. It's not all that quick to jump from tune to tune. It's a 2 year old iMac on a fairly robust connection.

I'll keep paying my couple dollars a month for a while I think. It'd be nice to have backing tracks where you can easily change the mix and tempo with the actual players on the iconic tracks.

So... something like 25 mins on the 2nd run at Stolen Moments and it's done. Too many winds I guess. Much better than first time though. Piano is mostly in Other, but mixed in with Wind on the head. Bass Clarinet occasionally ends up in Bass. The flute solo shows a bit in Other in a sort of ghostly way. It's much happier with smaller ensembles from the looks of things.

Listening to Joy the last while with no horn. Great sound quality, That's gonna be a fun thing to work with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I just got Moises and spent a few hours loading in some old jazz faves. For the most part it works pretty well.

The app sort of has templates to tell it what to listen for and which track to put it on. In the free version you get a Vocals, Drums, Bass and Other. I tried Stolen Moments and if failed miserably. Well, I guess it did exactly what it said it would, but that turned out to be Drums, Bass, and Everything Else. Pretty useless. Couldn't kill the horns without killing keys and vice versa.

So I decided to risk something like $4 and sign up for monthly 'Premium.' There's a preset for Wind, Vocals, Drums, Bass, and Other. Keys end up in Other so you can kill horns or keys independently. On Joy Spring the piano track was mostly there, but it did sorta clip a few notes in spots. Still plenty good enough for a backing track to play the head and solo over. And it's the actual guys!

Maybe the pro version does Wind, Drums, Bass, Keys and Other. I guess guitar would go to other. Doesn't seem to have a template that includes Guitar, Keys and Wind for EG.

It did really well with Speak No Evil, Footprints, Armageddon and few others. Got a bit confused about Wind vs Vocals for Wayne on Iris in spots, but still useable and he's still in Wind. Vocal picks up a few other odd artifacts as well so it gets muted.

I'm currently waiting for it to process Stolen Moments again with the Premium options. It's taking quite a while. I think it has a harder time with jazz in general. Who doesn't?

I was hoping Moises might replace Amazing Slow Downer as well as iReal, but I think I'll still be using those as well for the time being. I got the desktop version, but it still stores, accesses and loads into the app from the cloud. It's not all that quick to jump from tune to tune. It's a 2 year old iMac on a fairly robust connection.

I'll keep paying my couple dollars a month for a while I think. It'd be nice to have backing tracks where you can easily change the mix and tempo with the actual players on the iconic tracks.

So... something like 25 mins on the 2nd run at Stolen Moments and it's done. Too many winds I guess. Much better than first time though. Piano is mostly in Other, but mixed in with Wind on the head. Bass Clarinet occasionally ends up in Bass. The flute solo shows a bit in Other in a sort of ghostly way. It's much happier with smaller ensembles from the looks of things.

Listening to Joy the last while with no horn. Great sound quality, That's gonna be a fun thing to work with.
    Lalal.ai is really quick - just a couple minutes on the songs I've done. You pay $35 for 500 minutes and it deducts as you use it so it should last me a while. It worked well on Winds of Barcelona and pretty good on Windy. Fortunately, I have BIAB 2021 so I can put together Real Tracks fairly quickly - I got a pretty good version of One For My Baby that I can live with for the time being. I'm mostly doing easy things like Georgia, I Can't Get Started, If I had You, I'm Beginning To See The Light. Just punch in the chords and pick a style. I mostly do the head, then an easy improv , then the head again - I don't like to get too far from the melody which, I guess, makes me 'square' but that's OK.

User Info Menu

Moises is pretty quick with a jazz quartet. O.Nelson's Stolen Moments is a septet, with Dolphy trading off to flute for his solo. Maybe just a bit too much going on for it to sort out. Prolly never heard Eric before either. Might've freaked Mo out a bit :)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Moises is pretty quick with a jazz quartet. O.Nelson's Stolen Moments is a septet, with Dolphy trading off to flute for his solo. Maybe just a bit too much going on for it to sort out. Prolly never heard Eric before either. Might've freaked Mo out a bit
    I used to work with the Bari sax player on Stolen Moments, George Barrow, regularly, at a theater gig I had years ago. Nice guy. He was a boxer when he was younger, and walked with a bad limp.
    I asked him what the hell Dolphy was doing on that flute solo, and he told me that Dolphy told him he was trying to play out of tune, like the flute players in Africa did. They used microtones in their playing.

User Info Menu

I use microtones in my playing too! I don't always mean to though...

Nice to hear from someone who was around some of these guys. I love Eric always. And Oliver's tenor solo on that cut is really something.

User Info Menu

Just ran Wes's version of "Georgia" through LALAL.Ai and it took a couple minutes but gave pretty respectable results. When it's done, you get the guitar track alone as well as the orchestra without the guitar. I'll listen to the whole thing this evening and see if there are any noticeable glitches.