The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

I started using Jamulus during the pandemic. We even had a big band with 17+ people during the pandemic.

I still jam once a week with a group of 5 players, when everyone is available. They live in about 1-3 hour distance by car from me.
    I live in Sweden and feel like playing in servers in Sweden, Norway, Estonia and Finland usually has barely noticeable latency. UK, Germany has noticeable latency but still playable, whlie playing in servers in Italy for instance starts to be more frustrating than enjoyable due to the latency (which is shame because there are really nice players active there).

You don't need the highest bandwidth or fastest computer. You want the lowest latency. You should not use wifi (it works but it's worse). I usually use my computer with wifi but when I use Jamulus I have a cable that I connect between rooms to the router (and then disconnect it when I'm finished).
    Some types of internet activity on your home network (like children playing Minecraft) can also reduce the quality (a lot) but sometimes we did simultaneously have a video meeting open (with audio muted) and that didn't seem to impact the audio quality/latency. (you could turn off the video if you suspected it was affecting the audio).
    People in some rural areas might have a more rural type internet connections and have more latency than others.

It can be a bit of a technical challenge to get it up and running for the first time, but most people seem to figure out if they try, (some people also have limited or no experience with audio interfaces, microphones etc. and need to learn that as well in order to get a decent audio signal from their instrument to their computer).

I think it's a solution that should work well for virtual lessons (within a few 100km radius) but you might need to spend some time on trial and error and troubleshooting before you're up and running.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Wow! There's so much out there to explore. Thank you SO much for all these suggestions and experiences. This is a game changer. Yes I see the limitations, and I also see they're not as impossible as I had believed.
    Not perfect but a more musical future for me when it comes to working with other musicians and teaching.
    Please keep the thread going with your discoveries. I really appreciate it!