The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Title of the thread pretty much covers this. I’m learning to use Logic Pro X. The drummer tool/module, while very cool in many ways, is mostly lacking in terms of anything that resembles a good swinging jazz drummer. The universe of available third-party jazz drum loop packages is overwhelming. I’m looking for advice on options for a basic package that covers ballads to uptempo swing (but no need for blazingly fast). Any advice from those who have had experience with this? Again, I need Apple Loops, or if I understand correctly, AIFF format also works. Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did you try Googling "Jazz Drum Loops for Apple"?

jazz drum loops for apple at DuckDuckGo

there might be something there that you want.

User Info Menu

Yes, of course I did. My point was that there are a lot of choices out there and I was hoping that I might benefit from others’ personal experiences. But thanks for the suggestion!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevmoga
    Yes, of course I did. My point was that there are a lot of choices out there and I was hoping that I might benefit from others’ personal experiences. But thanks for the suggestion!
    Just checking-you'd be amazed how many people don't try Google.

Another resource is Youtube.

Instead of asking others opinion, use your own ear as you will be the final judge of what you want.

Just trying to help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Just checking-you'd be amazed how many people don't try Google.

Another resource is Youtube.

Instead of asking others opinion, use your own ear as you will be the final judge of what you want.

Just trying to help.
    That's not helpful. If you have ever actually tried to find jazz drum loops you'd realize that it's not easy because it's very difficult to get a sense of what the full loop collections are like from the samples that loop-sellers publish. Hence the OP posting the question, because getting input from people who have gone down this rabbit hole is valuable.

I've used Beta Monekey Jazz Essentials (Jazz Drum Loops - Beta Monkey). These are a complete performance that you can chop op and re-organize for you own purposes. They also include individual hits (e.g., crashes). It sounds good, but it's a fair amount of work to slice and dice it into something suited to your own song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    That's not helpful. If you have ever actually tried to find jazz drum loops you'd realize that it's not easy because it's very difficult to get a sense of what the full loop collections are like from the samples that loop-sellers publish. Hence the OP posting the question, because getting input from people who have gone down this rabbit hole is valuable.
    Sure it's helpful. Listen to the samples that they have and if the samples aren't sufficient, move on. Same with album downloads. In both cases LISTEN as to whether you like it or not. If none of the samples turn your crank, move on.

It ain't rocket surgery!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Sure it's helpful. Listen to the samples that they have and if the samples aren't sufficient, move on. Same with album downloads. In both cases LISTEN as to whether you like it or not. If none of the samples turn your crank, move on.

It ain't rocket surgery!!!
    Telling people seeking advice to just google the subject themselves (even after they tell you they've done that and are asking for more targeted information from people with more experience) might be perceived by some as insult or snark. If that's not your intent, consider that. If it is, well ..., two can play at that game, but sometimes it's better not to.
    Last edited by John A.; 02-17-2024 at 02:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the beta monkey suggestion, I’ll check it out. Sound samples are just the tip of the iceberg, those are the kind of details I was hoping to glean from other users’ experiences.

User Info Menu

Don’t know if this helps, but the Drumgenius app is a fairly inexpensive way of getting a lot of jazz drum loops in all sorts of tempos and styles. Only downside is that the loops are not exportable directly, so I record them to my PC from the headphone output of my ipad, then import them into Reaper, where I can edit them, stretch them, etc. as needed. Works well enough for my purposes.

To add specific hits, crashes etc. I sometimes use the virtual drum kits in garageband on my ipad and record that out the same way, does the job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Don’t know if this helps, but the Drumgenius app is a fairly inexpensive way of getting a lot of jazz drum loops in all sorts of tempos and styles. Only downside is that the loops are not exportable directly, so I record them to my PC from the headphone output of my ipad, then import them into Reaper, where I can edit them, stretch them, etc. as needed. Works well enough for my purposes.

To add specific hits, crashes etc. I sometimes use the virtual drum kits in garageband on my ipad and record that out the same way, does the job.
    Have you managed to get a Garageband drummer to play in a jazz style? I haven't, but if you have any tips that would be great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Have you managed to get a Garageband drummer to play in a jazz style? I haven't, but if you have any tips that would be great.
    No, I just use it as an extra resource to record individual snare hits or cymbal crashes, which I can then overlay on the existing drumgenius track I already have set up in Reaper. So I’m not using garageband to record a proper drum pattern/loop or anything like that.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I’ll give this a try. I love Drumgenius, so hopefully Logic will be able to manage the time editing similarly to Reaper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevmoga
    Thanks, I’ll give this a try. I love Drumgenius, so hopefully Logic will be able to manage the time editing similarly to Reaper.
    The drumgenius loops are fairly short, so it’s tempting to let them play a long time and record them like that. However I’ve found that their tempo is not always 100% accurate when repeated over a long period. So what I do is just record the loop for 3 or 4 repeats, then put it in Reaper, if necessary stretch and trim it to exactly fit the grid, then just duplicate that segment over and over for the rest of the track. That way it can’t drift out of sync with the DAW.

User Info Menu

I was struggling to programme some jazz drums in Garage Band, not easy .
    Eventually I bought Band in a box ( simple version ) from this site .
    It's been one month that Iam using it , till now only for practice, Iam very satisfied .
    There are a lot of Jazz real drums samples for my needs.
    You can change the tempo,of course samples that for example have been recorded on 140 could sound good between 110 -160 and e.t.c.

This is from the manual of BIAB :
    With the Direct Render to Disk feature, you can save your files directly as audio files (AIFF, M4A, WAV), for use in other programs (GarageBand, Cubase, etc.), or in Internet formats.

I didn't try it yet.
    All the real tracks in B-i-a-Box have sheet , it is very helpful, if you want to read and use the notes to programme drums in GB or LP.

Anyway , good luck !

User Info Menu

The drumgenius loops are fairly short, so it’s tempting to let them play a long time and record them like that. However I’ve found that their tempo is not always 100% accurate when repeated over a long period. So what I do is just record the loop for 3 or 4 repeats, then put it in Reaper, if necessary stretch and trim it to exactly fit the grid, then just duplicate that segment over and over for the rest of the track. That way it can’t drift out of sync with the DAW.
    I just tried messing around with Drumgenius -> Garageband on a couple of different beats. The tempos are way off, as in like 10 bpm different from the metronome in Garageband. So it definitely takes some fussing to get it to line up, but it is do-able. My iphone has no headhone out, so I had to go into Audio Midi set up on my mac to get it to see the phone as an audio source. I think this is OK as a practice tool, but if you want to have a good sounding drum track on a recording, I think you need a collection of loops. There's also something like EZ Drummer, but that looks pretty complicated, and the online demos are VERY uninformative, so I'm hesitant.

User Info Menu

Can’t say I’ve noticed that much of a difference, it’s more like the loops gradually drift away from the tempo I have set in Reaper if I let them run a long time. I’ll check it again against my metronome.

But in any case, in Reaper it’s easy to drag the envelope of a short recorded drum audio segment so that it time-stretches it, so it doesn’t really take much effort to line it up with the tempo grid. Then holding down Ctrl+D duplicates it to the end of the track.

User Info Menu

Good tip on keeping the loops short. When I first started exploring Logic, I just let Drumgenius run on for the whole recording and found the tempo drift issues mentioned. I’ll try the short loop and quantize approach.