The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Last edited by GuyBoden; 01-09-2024 at 07:06 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have you tried it? And, no good at all?

User Info Menu

At last! No more stress. I can just click a button, and there it is! A REAL jazz solo. We’ve all been suckers all these years.

Joking aside, I wonder whose licks and solos were input as role models for the Ai to learn, and should those guys sue?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    Have you tried it? And, no good at all?
    Decide for yourself:

User Info Menu

Don't know what to say after hearing that demo. Couldn't they have used a "modeled" Tele? Would have sounded so much better.

User Info Menu

I need a dislike button just for this.

User Info Menu

"No computer stands in my way..."

User Info Menu

How do you know we've reached "the singularity"? When you tell an AI "don't quit your day job."

User Info Menu

A professor from UCSC has been working on getting computers to generate music in the styles of Bach, and Mozart, for over a decade.

I heard an interview on NPR with him… maybe 8 years ago. They played some of the computer generated stuff, and it was tricky for me not to think it was the fore mentioned composers.

IDK about you, but I am not worried. We still use paper for books. We still listen to radio. Things changes, but old technology sticks around. I guess the change would be seeing ourselves as “old technical”. That kinda happens as you age anyway.

User Info Menu

Ffs

User Info Menu

Sounds like a "jazzy" demo song on a mini keyboard circa 1985.

User Info Menu

This is not so new. Bob Keller, the creator of Impro-Visor (a kind of open-source BIAB for the poor), who died four years ago, was working on such stuff already a few years ago.

(BTW Impro-Visor can create "LEGO brick" road maps à la Cork/Elliot)

And I am still waiting for the Barry Harris sixth diminished accompaniment algorithm with an adjustable degree of borrowed notes -- can't be so difficult to program ...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I bet if they took the time to use higher quality synth or have someone perform these solos they would sound better.

What's interesting is that lately people are trying to apply newer ML algorithms to music. IMO the quality of the output has taken a step back from prior generations of generative music. Unfortunately the researchers working on this have no (or at least poor and unrefined) musical training and therefore they are unqualified to evaluate their own results.

Case in point, someone was sufficiently impressed with themselves to post this trash:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=c6DK8IKS9z4

Why do I say this is a step back? Newer ML algorithms are attractive because they require much less expert intervention/manual programming. This cost efficiency is why they are everywhere and so attractive for business applications (you can hire 3 engineers to automate what previously took a 50 person multidisiplinary organization to run). However, the tedious manual work of earlier generations of computational music really paid off. Take a look at the work of David Cope. No it's not something I'd want to listen to start to finish, but it's much better than the garbage being put out by tech giants today:

The melodies aren't great but notice the use of repetition, a definite musical form with motifs developing over time, symmetry of phrases.

Another one: