The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Greetings, working my way through using this ap efficiently. In other programs like word processing you can save a file with new edits using the same name as the original file. You can replace the old file with the new edited one. can I do this in iReal Pro? for charts, set lists, etc.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBeck View Post
    Greetings, working my way through using this ap efficiently. In other programs like word processing you can save a file with new edits using the same name as the original file. You can replace the old file with the new edited one. can I do this in iReal Pro? for charts, set lists, etc.
    I may not understand what you’re trying to do. But I edit more than half of the iReal charts I use, and they all save after editing without even offering me the option to rename. What drives me nuts is that they revert to the original key when you open the edit function. This isn’t a big deal, and they save back to the desired key. But it’s at least mildly annoying.

The other weird behavior is that the charts in a playlist open in the original keys when I email the list (exported as an iReal file) to our bass player. I’ve tried emailing them to myself and opening them on both Android tablets and iPads - and they’re always in the keys to which I transposed them. But every time he does it, they’re back in the original keys. So I’ve been sending the lists with charts as pdfs.

User Info Menu

That 'feature' is indeed puzzling. I've never tried emailing playlists, but I do find that songs keep the transposed key when added to a different playlist, or when a backed-up playlist is downloaded. iRealPro is not perfect, but I haven't found anything less perfect.
    One thing you can consider is saving a playlist under a different name before editing it if you want to keep a copy of it before the edits, or else back it up before editing. The ability to back up directly to either Dropbox or Google Drive is very convenient, and I usually do both. Belt, suspenders, and another belt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Belt, suspenders, and another belt.
    That last belt sometimes needs to be Scotch.

User Info Menu

I'm not a big scotch fan. Texas bourbon is better, at least to my taste.

User Info Menu

I just emailed a playlist with all transposed songs to myself, and it opened in the transposed keys, not the original. Maybe it works differently on an iphone, but with my Android device it kept the transposition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I just emailed a playlist with all transposed songs to myself, and it opened in the transposed keys, not the original. Maybe it works differently on an iphone, but with my Android device it kept the transposition.
    Like I said in my post #2, I had no problem emailing them to myself and opening them on both Android and iOS devices in the transposed keys. But our bass player insists that they open in the original keys on his tablet when he gets them in his email. I can’t figure out why and I gave up trying - I just export the lists as pdfs for him.

The only problem with this is that he doesn’t transpose well on the fly. So if a vocalist sends me the wrong key or decides to change it, I’ll have to lend him my tablet on stage and transpose the pdf myself while playing it. I’ve started carrying my old $20 Android tablet in my gig bag as a spare, although I usually forget to power it up before we start. It’s so slow that it can take 2 minutes to boot it, then load and open an iReal chart. So I’m fine transposing the pdfs on the fly if necessary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit;[URL="tel:1280705"
    1280705[/URL]]

But our bass player insists that they open in the original keys on his tablet when he gets them in his email.

The only problem with this is that he doesn’t transpose well on the fly. So if a vocalist sends me the wrong key or decides ….
    but your bass player can instantly
    change the key on his tablet anyway ….
    surely there’s no problem ?

User Info Menu

Does he not know how to transpose in iRealPro with 3 taps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    but your bass player can instantly
    change the key on his tablet anyway ….
    surely there’s no problem ?
    Yes he can, and he’s done that. But a vocal set is 10 to 12 tunes plus an encore or two, and if he doesn’t do it the day before, it really screws up the show to do it as we start each song. As the leader, part of my job is making everything go smoothly and professionally. Using pdfs avoids any chance that he’ll arrive with charts in the wrong keys if the singer sticks to what he or she sent me days earlier. I send him the iReal file too. When a singer either gave me the wrong key or changes it on me, he’ll open and transpose the problem chart on the stand. It’s just a minor inconvenience.

I only brought up this problem because the OP discusses another iReal issue and I hoped someone would have a solution. We’re living with this glitch - it’s just frustrating to me because it shouldn’t be happening and I can’t seem to identify the cause or fix it.

User Info Menu

This doesn't make sense to me. The html file should not be changed by going through email. I sent mine to myself at a completely different email address, different server, different email provider, and indeed opened it with a different email client. I fail to understand how the html file could be changed, and that would have to happen. The only possible explanation is that his iRealPro app is doing that. I don't know what OS he's using, and all I have is Android, so I can't speculate on iOS apps, but maybe they're doing something strange.

Thanks so much for all of your comments and ideas and suggestions about sharing edited files in I real pro format. I think the problem may be with my musical partner's iPad, he is looking into that. Especially after he dropped it recently, yikes! I successfully sent set lists to two different musicians by email from my Apple desktop and they opened in the correct keys. Another workaround that we are doing is we put my initials with my key in the song title. That way if the keys get changed in transit they can always refer to the title to get the correct key. It may be that I need to just completely rename my master list of songs each time I expand and add new songs I am learning to the list. I hope this helps any singers out there.

User Info Menu

Have you come across the problem of editing a chart and it not saving it partially only? I edited a transposed chart and not only did it only save one part of it (it was a ABACA form and it only saved the edits on the second “A” ????!) but then after saved it even went back to the original key, keeping those second “A” edits. And not only that but it shows as if it was on the transposed key!! So I have no way to transpose it. It took it back to G- but it says it’s on D- !!

User Info Menu

I've never seen that issue, but I certainly haven't tried everything nor used every device. It sounds like a problem with the device you're using, not saving files properly. However, I can't say with any certainty.