The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am recording direct thru an UA 610 solo tube preamp.

Do any of you have fav software compressors you like for vintage sound? Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Check the LA Studio Compressor on the Helix Native, it's great for a vintage studio sound. I think Universal Audio also has a plugin based on the same unit (Teletronix® LA-2A®), but I never tried it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

By FAR, the best software compressor I've used is Fircomp by JonVaudio. I barely use my UAD etc anymore. It's the only comp that actually reminds me of how my hardware reacts. Did I mention it's like 20 bucks?

I would stop thinking of compressing to get that "vintage sound", because we still use the same comps today, we did 70 years ago. Use a comp for what it does best, waveform shaping.

Fircomp does that close to invisibly. It's an incredible tool. Especially if you're dealing with the spiky transients of an electric guitar.

PS, they actually have a fully functioning free version. Check it out at no risk.

User Info Menu

Here's a little secret - if you want a transparent way to level out those spiky, uneven transients, then look for limiters, not compressors.