The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

G'day all,
    I want to work on timing on my Guitar playing.I find I'm speeding up a lot ,especially when I get to a chorus or a middle 8.
    I have a Zoom MRT-3B drum machine that has a metronome facility in it but it says that I need to have some sort of MIDI keyboard device to access it.
    What would I need to buy, so I can access the metronome on the drum machine ?
    Thanks folks ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you have a smartphone, it would be easier to download a metronome app such as Soundbrenner, which is quite good (and free).

If you don’t have a smartphone, I’d have thought it would be cheaper to just buy a small electronic metronome (I have one of those too!).

User Info Menu

You could also make it it super easy and get the Drum Genius app on your smart device.

User Info Menu

You don't have to buy anything, here's a web metronome.

google metronome - Google Search

User Info Menu

Oh, he asked a specific question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Oh, he asked a specific question.
    Yes, but it seems an extremely complicated way to get a metronome, so better solutions were being offered.

Actually I used to have a very similar Zoom drum machine and you could assign sounds to a pad. Looking at the manual for the OP’s machine, it looks as if you could just assign a metronome click to a pad and put in a beat at any tempo you like. It’s on page 28. The instrument list (page 55) suggests you would input category 7, instrument 7 for this. Can’t see why a MIDI keyboard is needed to do this.

Here’s the manual:

https://zoomcorp.com/media/documents/E_MRT3.pdf

User Info Menu

Thanks for your responses pardners,
    A couple of things I should say ... I don't have a smart phone ..there is no computer in the Music room and I have a small electronic metronome.Trouble is,it's just not loud enough and my hearing is not the best these days.I turn the volume off on the Epiphone archtop and I just can't hear the metronome.
    So,I put the drum machine through a small amp and volume is ample.
    Grahambop has suggested a closer inspection of the manual ,best do some closer reading of the fine print .
    Thanks again.

User Info Menu

I think the only reason someone would need/want to connect a midi controller, would be if they were doing some serious finger drumming, and using the zoom in part as a sound module. The zoom does not have many pads, and maybe the pads are limited in their touch response.

User Info Menu

Another option might be to get an electronic metronome with an output (mine has one) and feed that into your amp, as you have been doing with the drum machine.