The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

Solo is epic, how would you not want to get that together?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are two questions here: 1) as a backing for live performance, 2) as the chord chart for playing with others.

I'm not a fan of backing tracks live ever. I've yet to hear anyone using a backing track where I thought, man that sounds good! iReal is not meant for this and I think we all agree on that.

As a chart for performance I think it's great. Someone is gonna call a song not everyone knows, so why not just let the charts be out? Jams without charts sound fantastic...with good players. Most jams are dudes like me who can use all the help we can get to sound good. I say use what you must to sound good.

The other advantage is we are all using the same changes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    And if you think things are bad now.. AI is quite capable of fulfilling the jazz guitar role.
    I think the appeal of even one living human performer will endure. Even in restaurants and at parties, guests connect with us. But I suspect that one of us per venue will be enough, since the rest of the band will be in a very small, very smart box.

I’m sure AI will fill many orchestra pits, studios, and dance clubs. And it will do a lot of the repetitive writing of music and lyrics that supports movies, legitimate theater, advertising etc. But until a computer has the charm, grace, beauty, wit and wisdom of a seasoned old guitarist, it won’t get gigs in intimate settings where music lovers gather to eat, drink and be merry………….I hope.

User Info Menu

Backing tracks : not my cup of tea.

IReal at sessions or gigs: I always bring it to a gig and hope I don’t have to use it. At a session, I always tell people I don’t know a tune if I don’t know a tune. I just say “oh I don’t know that one.” 80% of the time, they say “oh it’s in the book.” At which point I pull it up and play it or whatever, but I guess I’d rather not.

One kind of weird tagalong effect of iReal is that folks know they’ll be able to play whatever pet tune they’ve been working on when they go to a jam because they know the book will be there. So the jam becomes more about a group of people going up and showing off their project tunes than about a group of people going up and attempting to play together.

Personal preference but I’d rather play Blue Bossa three times in one night than trip through Nica’s Dream when half the people on stage don’t know it.

User Info Menu

And if you think things are bad now.. AI is quite capable of fulfilling the jazz guitar role.
    Seems like kind of a weird use case for AI, considering Spotify and a Bluetooth speaker behind the potted plant have been fully capable of unseating jazz guitarists for about a decade now.

User Info Menu

AI will never replace the smell of real musicians

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Seems like kind of a weird use case for AI, considering Spotify and a Bluetooth speaker behind the potted plant have been fully capable of unseating jazz guitarists for about a decade now.
    But AI will be in the potted plant. Meet the future -

Who uses iReal Pro in jams or in performance?-img_1794-gif

User Info Menu

Backing tracks : not my cup of tea.

IReal at sessions or gigs: I always bring it to a gig and hope I don’t have to use it. At a session, I always tell people I don’t know a tune if I don’t know a tune. I just say “oh I don’t know that one.” 80% of the time, they say “oh it’s in the book.” At which point I pull it up and play it or whatever, but I guess I’d rather not.
    Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. I'd rather not, but sometimes I have to. Interestingly, one of my piano player friends who gigs most nights of week told me ipads and tablets are ubiquitous on gigs where she plays now - even among the top players.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Haven't they already been unseated? LOL. Most of the times I see (incredible) local musicians playing, not many people seem to be listening. Maybe half a dozen on average? I saw a great trio a while back and I am pretty sure I was literally the only person listening for the final hour. Most people are talking or at the bar, and they probably wouldn't mind if Spotify were on instead.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rick5
    Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. I'd rather not, but sometimes I have to. Interestingly, one of my piano player friends who gigs most nights of week told me ipads and tablets are ubiquitous on gigs where she plays now - even among the top players.
    Yeah I’m in Virginia now and they’re ubiquitous for sure. And I like having it for a gig for sure.

Some of my session vibe is definitely residual New York stick-in-the-muddery. But also it’s just that I think folks should be there to play with other people, which means playing what other people know. And if you can’t settle on something, there’s always a blues.

It can definitely veer into snobbery if someone insists on not using the book and then sneers at Another You or whatever, so there’s always the danger of that. But if folks are open and patient, I’d always rather just play what people know.