The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I'm about to purchase Band In A Box through JGO. I noticed the current retail price is shown on the JGO website as $129. The current price for the new version (2022) of BIAB is $99 on the Sweetwater Sound website. Can I assume that the price of BIAB on the JGO website will be adjusted to the more competitive price of $99? I'd rather give my money to JGO but $30 is not an insignificant difference in price.

Also, I'd appreciate any feedback, suggestions, or recommendations you may have regarding BIAB. One thing I've noticed is it's much more complex than I anticipated. I would likely not use half of the features or processing. OTOH, maybe I would?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know who "JGO" is, but just make sure that the editions (as opposed to versions) are the same. BIAB ranges from basic to "Audiophile".

User Info Menu

(I should mention that I do not use these programs for composition but just to practice certain ideas).

I love BIAB. It can sound excellent. It has a learning curve. I have not used it much in a long time. I now use the mcats product: mapping tonal harmony pro. It is quick and easy, if you have all their lead sheets. I am just throwing it out as an option to check out.

(There are a number of things I dislike but are not super critical. The thing I dislike the most is that it has to check its’ authenticity through the internet ever other-ish time I open the program. I can see how that might become a problem in certain situations).

There is also Ireal pro (Ireel pro?). I used it a bit but I am not keen to how it sounds. It works great and is inexpensive.

My all time favorite is Ambersold stuff but of course it is limited to a playback type thing. ... so I use mapping tonal harmony pro.

JGO = Jazz Guitar Online (This website).

I mainly want to be able to play along with backing tracks with different jazz progressions (especially 2-5-1). Does BIAB have pre-recorded songs that are already written and arranged? I'll be using it primarily as a practice tool. I'd prefer not having to assemble entire songs, piece by piece, before being able to use them.

User Info Menu

band in the box is great!

User Info Menu

I think any general midi file should work with BIAB. Back in 2014(?) when I was using it, I would just put in the chords I needed and then select what rhythm part worked. (I am just writing this from memory, so it has been awhile). I do remember really liking BIAB. It sounds great. I went back to using Ambersold stuff. I think my computer died and I did not want to spend money. I already had the Ambersold stuff. Last time I checked BIAB it cost a lot to get the high quality sounds... however, I have just moved on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    JGO = Jazz Guitar Online (This website).
    Where does one buy software here?? I can't find it on the main area ...

User Info Menu

Sweetwater has BIAB for $99

Access to this page has been denied.