The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know there's a basic (very) synth built in to Reaper and my interface has a midi in and out. Would it be possible to use my Godin Multiac with the 13 pin out to drive the Reaper synth. If I send my guitar signal to the midi in 13 pin 'in' jack, would that programming info be sent to the synth? Just looking for a way to get things into the computer without playing keyboard (which I don't own and would rather not spend $$$ on if not needed). Just sorta thinking out loud about this - haven't really researched it yet - just thought someone might know.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Short answer - Nope... but actually with more gear you can do it.

Midi ports are 5 pin, in addition you need something that will convert the audio from the multiac into midi information. That's a pretty specific job, something built specifically for that like an Axon Ax 50 usb. Not sure those are made anymore.

User Info Menu

I have had some success using JamOrigin's Midi Guitar 2 software. Here is a video showing how to set it up for use with Reaper. There is a trial version of the software available here: Download – Jam Origin

Other than this I have a Passac Sentient Six guitar midi controller/sequencer [good old technology] but it requires hardware mods to a guitar for use and this rules out archtops.

Cheers
    Last edited by thelostboss; 11-28-2020 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added link to trial download

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I know there's a basic (very) synth built in to Reaper and my interface has a midi in and out. Would it be possible to use my Godin Multiac with the 13 pin out to drive the Reaper synth. If I send my guitar signal to the midi in 13 pin 'in' jack, would that programming info be sent to the synth? Just looking for a way to get things into the computer without playing keyboard (which I don't own and would rather not spend $$$ on if not needed). Just sorta thinking out loud about this - haven't really researched it yet - just thought someone might know.
    The 13-pin jack on the guitar sends audio, via a proprietary Roland cable. You need a device to translate that specialized Roland signal into a midi signal. There were specific Roland interfaces that existed to do just that, back when this stuff was introduced.

Roland still makes these devices, but they're very expensive.

User Info Menu

Ableton Live has a pretty great built-in audio to MIDI conversion. I’m not sure if you’ve got a “Lite” version somewhere (it comes bundled with lots of hardware) but it may be available for free. Worth a shot and no money required.