Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    The guitar is a Godin Multiac ACS SA. I am comparing the piezo vs the piezo with an Impulse Response. The impulse response is from a Cordoba Hauser from 3SigmaAudio.

    You can see the EQ curves in the video that I set to taste. It is a different EQ on each, I tried to make them sound as good as possible. I also added a little reverb, same reverb on both.

    Note: I redid the video and it's posted below at post #9 of this thread.
    Last edited by fep; 11-02-2020 at 01:01 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    For my ears there is no contest : the IR gets rid of the awful piezo quack. Might be a different story when the guitar is part of a denser mix - the piezo might give the signal a little more push to cut through without changing the volume/eq.....

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I also liked the IR version.

    I was going to sale the Godin as I didn't like the piezo sound and haven't used the synth bit for a long, long time. Before I sale it I thought I should spend the $10 on an IR to see if it would be good for recording nylon guitar. I really like the way the guitar plays, good neck, good action. Since I'm liking the IR, I may keep it.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    There's no question in my ears that the IR plugin makes a world of difference for the better. So, this is great for recording. What about playing live? Do you think something like a Fishman processor would give similar results? I'm not much of a gear guy.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    There's no question in my ears that the IR plugin makes a world of difference for the better. So, this is great for recording. What about playing live? Do you think something like a Fishman processor would give similar results? I'm not much of a gear guy.
    I don't know. But it seems it should be possible. Not sure if the Fishman is an impulse response, but if it works, it works.

    I'm going to play around and tweak that track IR more. Watching this video below, didn't know I needed to max the impulse length, actually didn't even know that was part of the plugin. Also, that $10 bought me a lot of IRs from the same guitar, I'm guessing different mics. And you can run two at the same time.

    Check the video at 13:38


  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Hey Frank

    yes the IR version i like better. I do the same thing but with a steel string Godin and i use and IR that took from my Martin Eric Clapton and use that in my Fractal audio Ax8. I use it in a live situation and its killer..I have guitar players coming up to me at the break going wtf? lol. and thats going straight to the board coming out of JBL Eon 15.

    As far as the nylon..I just bought a Godin Duet Ambience and it is incredible. Not sure if you have heard of that model. Its not the synth RMC model but has the Fishman pickup system with the 4 microphone models and an internal mic. you could pretty much forget about IR's and all that, dont need it. This thing can sound like a miced up nylon and you can blend in the mic. i bought it used but in mint condition on Reverb for 1k!!. i bought it as a back up to my Rick Turner Ren and now this is my main nylon.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    jazzguitar14, That sounds like the solution, Godin Duet Ambiance. I wonder if the mic models are using IRs. Cheers.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fep
    jazzguitar14, That sounds like the solution, Godin Duet Ambiance. I wonder if the mic models are using IRs. Cheers.
    yes that is the solution!. ya i guess that would be the IRs of the microphones...they use DPA. Schoeps..high end mic models at different locations.

    The Duet Ambiance | Godin Guitars

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    I learned a bit more about using these IRs I purchased from 3 Sigma Audio. I think I got the IR to sound a little bit better. So here is a redo of the video, changed the version of the IR that I chose and increased the Impulse time to max. Note on this one I didn't do any EQ on the IR (except the low pass that doesn't change the sound to my ear).

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Thx for doing this demos, and taking time discover how can things get higher quality.

    The difference is clear (at least with a good headphone), the IR makes significantly more natural the sound removing piezzo artfacts... but as always this benefit comes with the price: less bright, a bit cloudier sound.

    It worth a try to add some trebble as compensation. With some luck this will not bring back the artifacts, and will not introduce new drawback(s), but I am a bit sceptic.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    yes that is the solution!. ya i guess that would be the IRs of the microphones...they use DPA. Schoeps..high end mic models at different locations.

    The Duet Ambiance | Godin Guitars
    I got meself a Godin Encore Nylon because of this thread! The Encore has a Dual Blend Fishman-based UTSaddle and UTSoundBoard pickups. No IRs of the Duet Ambiance.

    That got me looking at the 11-year old Fishman Aura Spectrum DI pedal. Fep, I hope you don't mind my riding on the coattails of your thread but I am wondering if anyone here has anything to say about the Aura Spectrum DI for recording or live performance. The Godin Encore does not have much acoustic output so that rules the Audio Sprockets Tonedexter out.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I got meself a Godin Encore Nylon because of this thread! The Encore has a Dual Blend Fishman-based UTSaddle and UTSoundBoard pickups. No IRs of the Duet Ambiance.

    That got me looking at the 11-year old Fishman Aura Spectrum DI pedal. Fep, I hope you don't mind my riding on the coattails of your thread but I am wondering if anyone here has anything to say about the Aura Spectrum DI for recording or live performance. The Godin Encore does not have much acoustic output so that rules the Audio Sprockets Tonedexter out.
    Cool, ya the those Encores are nice too.

    Yes this, Fishman Aura!..i have one too, the nylon one..i forgot i had it! lol...those work good too.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Here is something I just mixed and did a nylon guitar solo on. I used the Cordoba Hauser IR on my Godin, you can hear it in a band setting. The guitar bit is at 1:15.