The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnoL
    What are your laptop specs? It sounds like you're getting decent performance. I would like to get the Focusrite for my laptop.
    I7, 8gig. 1.8Ghz

Here are two sound samples.

"Legacy": Guitar through a Boss ME80 right into the 2i2. No amp. Guitar solo is towards the end of the tune. This was done Covid style, with each person working independently. Bass and guitar used a 2i2 into Reaper. KB used Logic (Mac). I think the drummer used Garage Band, not sure of the hardware. Don't know about the horn. The kb player had done recordings before and has a quality setup. The drummer, bassist and I had never done anything like this before (except recording in a studio). We all used the interface and DAW software for the first time.

"Alone" also done Covid style, but only two people. Bassist/vocalist, working in Logic. I did both guitars the same way as described above. They sound to me like they should. I'd have mixed it a little differently, but I was the sideman on this project and didn't do the final mix.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 08-02-2020 at 01:25 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There is a guy with a user name of "yep" on the Reaper forum who has a legendary post (not me, I'm also "fep" over there). His thread "Why do your recordings sound like ass" is pretty legendary. Before buying any home studio gear it's a pretty good idea to check out that thread. Reading what he writes and the kind of comments he gets, you can tell he's a real expert.

Check it out, at least the 1st four posts he writes on that thread: Why do your recordings sound like ass? - Cockos Incorporated Forums
    Last edited by fep; 08-01-2020 at 09:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    There is a guy with a user name of "yep" on the Reaper forum who has a legendary post (not me, I'm also "fep" over there). His thread "Why do your recordings sound like ass" is pretty legendary. Before buying any home studio gear it's a pretty good idea to check out that thread. Reading what he writes and the kind of comments he gets, you can tell he's a real expert.

Check it out, at least the 1st four posts he writes on that thread: Why do your recordings sound like ass? - Cockos Incorporated Forums
    Just getting started with yep's thread (which I've bookmarked). I'm going to make a cup of coffee and read the whole thing. He won me over with his riff on "golden ears". ;o)

Thanks for sharing this, fep. (Fep and Yep---you guys should have an act!)

User Info Menu

1) I like my first gen 2i2 but in some cases need a DI box if I am recording with hotter pickups (turning gain all the way down doesn't help). No pad switch as with the 2i4. 2nd gen version of the 2i2 apparently dealt with this problem.

2) Also a fan a Reaper. WAY more capable than my modest needs and can get pretty complicated, but the Kenny Gioia videos are great for gaining a broad understanding. It can also be a little annoying to start it up and see that a new version is available because it is updated so frequently!

3) Check out the GLS Audio clones of the SM57 & SM58 if you like those mics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    As others have recommended, I'd skip the bundle and buy individual components/software. I recently swapped my 2nd Generation Focusrite 2i4 for a Solid State Logic SSL2. I found the audio playback quality noticeably better.

I have a Steinberg UR22 which works fine for computer but I'm going to be using an Art V3 preamp going into an MPC Live in the future.
    If I was in the market for a new audio interface I'd probably go for this SSL2. It cost a bit more than the typical budget 2 channel AI's but probably has a high resale value. Better sound, independent phantom power on each channel.
    Might as well spend 50-75 dollars more and get a Toyota instead of a Chevy.

User Info Menu

Independent phantom power for each channel is missing on the Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen and would be useful. Another lack on my Scarlett is a direct monitoring button. It is available in the software but that’s a PITA.

The Scarlett has phantom but it’s either both or none.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Independent phantom power for each channel is missing on the Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen and would be useful. Another lack on my Scarlett is a direct monitoring button. It is available in the software but that’s a PITA.

The Scarlett has phantom but it’s either both or none.
    Re a direct monitor button, it looks like the 2i2 is the only one of the USB line that has this. Strange.

User Info Menu

I went through the same process a couple of months ago. I switched from a Mac to a Surface Studio and my Apogee Duet would not work with a PC. The 2i2 was on my short list but I went with the IK AXE I/O. From your comment on recoding with BIAB this might apply to you.

The AXE I/O has the standard 2 inputs / 2 outputs. It also has, on the front of the unit, an Amp Out. This allows for easy re-amping. I plug my guitar straight into input 1, send a cable from Amp Out to the input of my pedal board. The pedal board is connected to the Fender Deluxe Tone Master which has a balanced line out. This line out goes to input 2 on the Axe I/O.

This gives me two tracks recording (in mono); one clean and one processed for sound I dialed in on the pedals /amp. I can blend the two for an improved stereo out but I can also send that clean to BIAB or other software that works better with a clean signal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    I went through the same process a couple of months ago. I switched from a Mac to a Surface Studio and my Apogee Duet would not work with a PC. The 2i2 was on my short list but I went with the IK AXE I/O. From your comment on recoding with BIAB this might apply to you.

The AXE I/O has the standard 2 inputs / 2 outputs. It also has, on the front of the unit, an Amp Out. This allows for easy re-amping. I plug my guitar straight into input 1, send a cable from Amp Out to the input of my pedal board. The pedal board is connected to the Fender Deluxe Tone Master which has a balanced line out. This line out goes to input 2 on the Axe I/O.

This gives me two tracks recording (in mono); one clean and one processed for sound I dialed in on the pedals /amp. I can blend the two for an improved stereo out but I can also send that clean to BIAB or other software that works better with a clean signal.
    Great idea. As far as I can tell, that's something I can't do as easily with the 2i2. I'd have to split the guitar signal first, then run one side into a pedal board and the other right into the 2i2.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Great idea. As far as I can tell, that's something I can't do as easily with the 2i2. I'd have to split the guitar signal first, then run one side into a pedal board and the other right into the 2i2.
    It seems that Axe I/O interface has a direct box built in.

I also have recorded guitar to two channels... Guitar cable to direct box, another guitar type cable to amp from direct box with direct box "thru" output, mic cable also out of direct box to audio interface. Mic on guitar amp speaker to another channel of audio interface. ART ARTcessories Zdirect Professional Passive Direct Box | Musician's Friend

I do this more often when recording bass than I do for guitar. It is very common to record bass this way.

User Info Menu

My reluctance to recommend an interface is that my experience has been that,,, the two interfaces that came with couple of my earlier computers (mixer to mini stereo jack of a plain jane pc ), and the two interfaces I bought separately over the years... they all sounded really good. I don't think the sound quality from one to the other is much of an issue.

I shop for features. I use the 4 channel version of this one. Just look at all the features, currently priced at $130. And the Midas preamps are suppose to be really high end, not an expert on that, but the recordings sound real good to me. The output to the speakers are balanced (the 4 channel one adds xlr outputs to speakers also).

24 bit / 192khz

The mix dial balances the direct input with the mix coming back from the computer, I love that feature in that I don't have to change my mix for monitoring purposes... who wants to keep changing a mix back and forth?

If you do the regular studio monitors for Monitor A and some mid range small monitors in Monitor B, you can check the mix against two seperate monitors with the push of a button. That's a nice feature.

Also, those inserts, you can send your signal to hardware before going out the usb, like a compressor for instance. Another nice feature.

And it has midi in and out... not sure what more I would want (but I admit, I don't know what I don't know).
    Attached Images Attached Images Scarlett 2i2 Studio: best deal/bundle for home recording?-u-phoria-1-png Scarlett 2i2 Studio: best deal/bundle for home recording?-u-phoria-2-png 

User Info Menu

i was looking for something portable for travel/ipad recording so i took a deep dive into this. came away with and audient id14. took a moment, but now i'm very pleased with it. the di is good enough to run my amp sims, and the preamps have enough juice to drive (and pleasantly) overdrive my amp sims; getting comparable results to my nice shadow hills preamps (but i don't think they have the same amount of raw horsepower those shadow hills pres do). and i just love the analog feel of just reaching over and turning a knob on the fly, instead of diving through menus and pushing buttons. as a plus, it makes my music/youtube/spotify listening experience much better, too. fancy converters, i suppose.

so i'd recommend a peek at the audient line of interfaces. caveat: no midi anywhere, for whatever reason.

i'd also recommend individual components instead of a bundle and perhaps taking a moment to question the need for a mic at all, unless you're dead set on doing vocals, acoustics or micing your amp. because then you have to invest in treatment and so on. i'm really liking the results i'm getting from my amp sims and would recommend that for most people. micing cabs and amps (or anything) is a bit of a dark art. it takes work, often more work than people understand or are willing to put in.