Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I have to kind of slowly and delicately pull them in and out to find and feel and wait for the right spot. Instead of just plugging in. WTF?

    Might add this to the "Pet Peeves" thread.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    That's generally a problem with the jack. Some are very cheap, and they're all small.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Poor quality socket, Dirty connection in the socket, they dont have much surface area on the connecters to get good signal to start with so any dirt or corrosion on it will stop the signal. you can try some detox spray into the socket.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    If this is in regard to the audio in/out on a laptop, none of the above may apply. Else, yeah, all of the above.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Does not surprise me. A lot of things like that are designed somewhere and fabricated somewhere else by manufacturers that don't totally understand the use of the thing. Modern plugs tend to have a molded plastic collar holding exposed plug metal. The way these are used the end of the collar has to be precise in order for the plug position to register with the contacts when fully inserted. I have had plugs where it seems clear that the manufacturer did not know this and the end of the collar prevented full insertion or allowed the plug to insert too far. Sometimes you can trim or shim the collar to get the plug to work right, sometimes not.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxJaxon
    Poor quality socket, Dirty connection in the socket, they dont have much surface area on the connecters to get good signal to start with so any dirt or corrosion on it will stop the signal. you can try some detox spray into the socket.
    Presumably do you mean de-oxit contact cleaner (not detox)

    also do use 1/8" leads that are gold-plated , that helps a lot

  8. #7
    OP here. I bought a couple of these and they don't play well together.
    Sorry! Something went wrong!
    Amazon.com: Ancable 3.5mm (1/8") TRS 1 Male to 3 Female 3-Way Stereo Splitter Audio Cable: Home Audio & Theater
    I also have a Radio Shack splitter that my good Phillips headphone is touchy with. Same problem. I have to really tweak the position/depth to get it right.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    OP here. I bought a couple of these and they don't play well together.
    Sorry! Something went wrong!
    Amazon.com: Ancable 3.5mm (1/8") TRS 1 Male to 3 Female 3-Way Stereo Splitter Audio Cable: Home Audio & Theater
    I also have a Radio Shack splitter that my good Phillips headphone is touchy with. Same problem. I have to really tweak the position/depth to get it right.
    Hey OP thanks for clarifying. I have found RS adapters to be of poor quality and I avoid them unless its an emergency, I just can't find another brand, and I am willing to trade noisy signal for convenience. Aside from the fit and finish issues, RS adapters are often REALLY noisy. You can find both high-quality gear and absolute crap on Amazon; IDK about Ancable, but I'd recommend looking for a pro audio quailty name brand and avoiding cheap stuff if you can. If you really want to take this to the logical conclusion, avoid adapters entirely, and just get good quality cables of the correct size. That extra plug in the middle of your signal chain is sucking signal ...

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Could it be a compatibility issue with the headset (tip + 3 rings) ? The shown adapter is tip + 2 rings.

  11. #10
    You're probably right about the rings not matching up. I see now that there are 2-ring and 3-ring adapters.

    Sorry! Something went wrong!

    So here's the deal. I'm coming out of my Mac Mini and want to be able to connect to the main stereo system in the studio, and the dedicated computer speakers, and headphones, without switching plugs all the time. I suppose I could get by with a 2-way split if necessary. There seem to be a lot of more high quality 2-way splitters available.

    Sorry! Something went wrong!

  12. #11

  13. #12
    So I can't tell if a 3 sleeve plug doesn't line up in a 2 sleeve jack, or vice versa. Or what I had is just junk. So I ordered one of these. We'll see.

    Robot Check

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    So I can't tell if a 3 sleeve plug doesn't line up in a 2 sleeve jack, or vice versa. Or what I had is just junk. So I ordered one of these. We'll see.

    Robot Check
    So I got this and it works great. I still don't know if 2 vs 3 sleeve was the problem, or if this one is just "better."

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I have to kind of slowly and delicately pull them in and out to find and feel and wait for the right spot. Instead of just plugging in. WTF?

    Might add this to the "Pet Peeves" thread.
    I've been using 1/8" stereo and 3 way connectors for years with my phones and portable devices and never had a single issue.