The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Anyone know who the young woman is on the SNL stage band? My God, she looks like a child.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Anyone know who the young woman is on the SNL stage band? My God, she looks like a child.
    She doesn't look THAT young-maybe you're just getting old!

"Back in October 2020, just off to the right and in the back of the opening monologue frame, was guitarist Maddie Rice making her debut as part of the show’s live band. Young, hip, and barely 28 years old at the time, the newest addition of the Saturday Night Live Band ..."

‘SNL’ Guitarist Maddie Rice on Monologues & SNL Band

User Info Menu

You know you're getting old when +/- 30 looks super young.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons
    Guilty as charged…

Must have been because when I saw her she had the hairdo of a young teen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Must have been because when I saw her she had the hairdo of a young teen.
    Pigtail night on S&L, maybe?

User Info Menu

That's one of those Fano guitars. They damage them in the factory, and charge extra for the service.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    That's one of those Fano guitars. They damage them in the factory, and charge extra for the service.
    I guess it's supposed to look hip, like the torn blue jeans that are sold? I always thought they looked silly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Looks a bit like a Novo Serus but it's a FSC Highline ST — FSC Instruments
    Hard to keep up with Fano guitars - Fano Alt De Facto, Novo and Rivolta. I have a Rivolta Mondata and while it's big on aesthetics, it's really just an overpriced Korean guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons

I was glad that article mentioned she ' was barely 28. '

You really have to wonder how often she gets carded at a place that sells alcohol.

I bet every time.

: )

User Info Menu

The local jazz radio station just ran a series on Miles Davis and the DJ said that Tony Williams was only 17 y/o when he started playing with Miles, and so legally they could not serve alcohol during the shows, they could only serve it during breaks when Tony went outside.

User Info Menu

To me, she doesn't have any signs of aging that you get when you reach middle age, but she does have a sternness in her face that makes it really obvious that she's been around the block as an adult for years. Was pretty surprised you thought she was a kid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    I guess it's supposed to look hip, like the torn blue jeans that are sold? I always thought they looked silly.
    Young people require constant hydration, and ventilated knees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    Looks a bit like a Novo Serus but it's a FSC Highline ST — FSC Instruments
    Hard to keep up with Fano guitars - Fano Alt De Facto, Novo and Rivolta. I have a Rivolta Mondata and while it's big on aesthetics, it's really just an overpriced Korean guitar.
    They all look so similar, to me.

User Info Menu

In your twenties most aren't showing signs of aging.

Green tomato until your 20, ripe tomato until 35, rotting tomato after that. And me? I'm 66.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    The local jazz radio station just ran a series on Miles Davis and the DJ said that Tony Williams was only 17 y/o when he started playing with Miles, and so legally they could not serve alcohol during the shows, they could only serve it during breaks when Tony went outside.
    There’s a whole slew of musicians who started playing professionally before they could vote.

Marty Stuart—started touring with Lester Flatt as a mandolin player at age 14. Derek Trucks and Joe Bonamassa were both wowing crowds in their early teens. (Derek joined the Allmans before he could legally drink at age 20.)

I’m sure there are others.

BTW I always liked GE Smith. Have never seen him play live, but I bet he’s good. I remember once watching SNL under some herbal enhancement, and they let the band do a long instrumental number. GE was just wailing, and I thought “this is the best guitarist alive right now.” Funny memory, but I’ve had my ears and mind opened more than once due to cannabinoid enhancement.

Smith was married to Gilda Radner from 1980-82. I never knew that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep

Green tomato until your 20, ripe tomato until 35, rotting tomato after that. And me? I'm 66.
    Hey speak for yourself!

I mentioned I was thinking of retiring in a few years, and one of my colleagues told me, “I thought you were 55.”

I was hurt. I was hoping he would have said 45.

User Info Menu

One of my favorite teenage phenoms was Gary Burton, playing on Hank Garland's "Jazz Winds From A New Direction", at 17 IIRC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    One of my favorite teenage phenoms was Gary Burton, playing on Hank Garland's "Jazz Winds From A New Direction", at 17 IIRC.
    And Burton mentored a ton of players, including our faves Pat Metheny and Mick Goodrick.

I saw him back in the mid-80s playing with the Georgia State jazz band. That must have been something, to be playing behind Gary Burton.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    And Burton mentored a ton of players, including our faves Pat Metheny and Mick Goodrick.

add Larry Coryell to the list..

Gary had/has some educational vids that were top of the line

User Info Menu

Julian Lage was born in 1987. He was the subject of the 1996 short documentary film Jules at Eight. Aged twelve, he performed at the 2000 Grammy Awards. At fifteen, he was appointed a faculty member of the Stanford Jazz Workshop at Stanford University. He graduated from Berklee in 2008.

User Info Menu

Don’t forget the King of the Delta Blues. Robert Johnson lived 27 years, during which time he recorded a total of 29 songs in the only 2 sessions he ever did. He married a 14 year old when he was 18, and he revolutionized blues guitar playing with a boogie-like bass line under his chording and melody. When Keith Richards first heard Johnson’s recordings, he wanted to know who the second guitar player was.

Johnson could also play swing and ragtime, and I suspect he’d have been the first Duane Allman if he’d lived to play an electric regularly - he apparently did get to try one shortly before he died. Not too shabby for a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post

Me too exactly. Shriveled tomato lying on the dirt.