The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

this is a side of Pete’s playing that I haven’t heard much before. His style has become more syncopated and his note choices seem to aim more at extensions. I really appreciate this groovin playing. The solo has a great story arc and is very lyrical. Thought I would share

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't get enough of PB. Every time I hear him I appreciate him more. Seems to be a real nice guy too from what I've seen in interviews.

Doug

User Info Menu

Some great Sax playing too.

The whole band is top notch.

User Info Menu

Nice! Bernstein is usually over my head but this is wonderful. He’s doing a guitar camp kind of thing in Germany this October. My teacher is assisting there and he’s hinting that I should attend. Apart from being expensive it would be like going from kindergarten to Berkley. Perhaps in a year or two that might be feasible but not yet.

User Info Menu

Bern is on a lot of the later records from the hard bop legendary guys who are still around. Check out some of the Melvin Rhyne records. Melvin Rhyne played organ for Wes, now he has records out with Bern and Ilya Lushtak.

User Info Menu

Someone put together 3 different Spotify playlists on Peter - blues, ballads, and standards. They include some really obscure (to me) tunes/artists. Well worth checking out.

User Info Menu

Very cool
    but it sounds like his early playing?
    and the tone is different

sax is great too

User Info Menu

Jonah, the clip in the first post is from of Peter’s early recorded appearances, Lou Donaldson’s 1994 album ‘Caracas’ on the Milestone label.

He would have been playing his blonde ES-175 at this time.

User Info Menu

That album was recorded about 30 years ago.

Caracas (album) - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

As it happens I saw Peter with Larry Goldings and Bill Stewart here in the UK recently, they sounded great as usual!

Here’s Peter talking and playing with Nigel Price, I think this was filmed the next day.

User Info Menu

^ I love that combo. It must have been a great show.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood View Post
    Bern is on a lot of the later records from the hard bop legendary guys who are still around. Check out some of the Melvin Rhyne records. Melvin Rhyne played organ for Wes, now he has records out with Bern and Ilya Lushtak.
    Mel's been gone since '13 but I have some of those discs.
    I never really liked him w/ Wes but he's better imo on the later recordings

User Info Menu

"(but) playing straight"

Only on this forum would PB's playing be assessed by that criteria.

PB kills in all dimensions...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67 View Post
    Nice! Bernstein is usually over my head but this is wonderful. He’s doing a guitar camp kind of thing in Germany this October. My teacher is assisting there and he’s hinting that I should attend. Apart from being expensive it would be like going from kindergarten to Berkley. Perhaps in a year or two that might be feasible but not yet.
    I can't imagine it's very often that he would be around you, so I would take your teacher's hint and go. Even if a lot of the stuff is over your head, just being around and listening to someone at that level will be a great experience.