The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

My favorite is T Monk and Milt Jackson. So spiky, melodic, and colorful.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No guitars here, but I find this awfully hard to beat. There are lots of great ones though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Oh yeah, that's a great one!

User Info Menu

It's not like duos are a rarity. A few I like are Joe Pass and Herb Ellis, Duke Robillard and Herb Ellis, Herb Ellis and Red Mitchell, Howard Alden and Jimmy Bruno, Howard Alden and Andy Brown, Ruby Braff and George Barnes, Martin Taylor and David Grisman. Plus too many more to recall off the top of my head.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall and Bob Brookmeyer.

^ That's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    It's not like duos are a rarity.
    I didn't mean exclusively duo, I meant the pairing of 2 unique featured greats in any group setting. If I meant duo, I would have said duo.

User Info Menu

Louis Stewart and Martin Taylor.

User Info Menu

Peter Bernstein and Jesse van Ruller.

User Info Menu

so many but the first one that pops into my head is Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley

User Info Menu

Paul Desmond and Ed Bickert get a lot of airtime in my car and on my iPod. So does Zoot Sims and Jimmy Rowles.

Derek

User Info Menu

Bucky Pizzarelli and anybody. Grappelli and anybody. Zoot Sims and anybody. Django and anybody. Django and Grappelli. Pizzarelli and Grappelli. Zoot and Bucky. Zoot and Joe Pass. Bucky and Scott Hamilton. Bucky and Ruby Braff. Braff and George Barnes. Barnes and Bucky. Barnes and Braff and Tony Bennett. Bennett and Bill Evans. (This could turn into six degrees of Bucky Pizzarelli.)

For that matter, Ellington and Monk all by themselves (or with bass and drums, for Ellington's "Duke Plays Ellington" and "Money Jungle" sessions).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    Paul Desmond and Ed Bickert get a lot of airtime in my car and on my iPod.
    Are there specific albums by them you can recommend? I'm more familiar with Desmond's recordings with Jim Hall, which are excellent.

User Info Menu

Red Norvo and Tal Farlow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Are there specific albums by them you can recommend? I'm more familiar with Desmond's recordings with Jim Hall, which are excellent.
    Hi Mick

I have a box set from Mosaic entitled The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings. It's superb!

Derek

User Info Menu

Some examples here are more like just duos… I respect and admire many tasteful and skilful players and there are collaborations I really love…. but when you have Trane and Duke… you cannot put practically anything next to it

colossuses…such collaboratiins are usually short and can be both a revelation and disappointment but they always have tension ( like Van Gogh and Gauguin in Arles).

I think Bill Evans and Jim Hall is for sure a great example: each is absolutely on his own and it is very concentrated conversation of two equally sophisticated souls.

User Info Menu

Wynton Kelly and Wes Montgomery.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar View Post
    I just thought that to some degree maybe I had misunderstood the title...

Because I think of it as of a collaboration of two equal leaders: very independent and outstanding artists with their own very unique language (like Trane and Duke, or Trane and Monk etc.)
    This is very interesting because such collaboration is a difficult thing and rarely works out for a long time, just because such strong artistic personalities cannot get along really.

I love Johnny Hartman but his record with Coltrane to me has a strong Coltrane's character (obviously because it is his group and his personal presence is extremely intensive).

Wes playing with Wynton Kelly is rather Wes accompanied by Wynton Kelly...
    Brilliant Bill Evans and Tonny Bennet CD for me is more like it is Bill's record with Tony's vocals waving through it (though I love Tony of course)

I think the special success of Bill Evans/Jim Hall recording is that 1) they are both quite humble personalities ready to succumb if necessary 2) Bill already had quite a big name as a leader and Jim though he had a discography too had still some years to his breakthrough a recognized leader his trio in his unique style... and Jim had a big session musician carrier behind which I think made him more adaptive.

But 'pairing' could mean that just two musicians that just fit each other very well...

like Scofield and Steve Swallow for example... or Wes and Wynton Kelly.... or Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan... of Jim Hall and Ron Carter and so on.
    It is a different thing.. in such a paring usually there is still a clear artistic leader.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall and Bill Evans
    Wes Montgomery and Jimmy Smith
    Wes and Mel Ryne
    Wes and Johnny Griffin
    Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter
    Joe Pass and Ella Fitzgerald
    John Schofield and Steve Swallow
    John Schofield and Joe Lovano
    Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays
    Dave Liebman and Vic Juris
    Bird and Dizzy
    Eddie Harris and Les McCann
    Trane and Johnny Hartman

Ok I’ll stop there.
    Last edited by John A.; 05-07-2024 at 12:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Of course, if pressed to pick just one pairing, it would ultimately have to be Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald for me. As most of us are primarily instrumentalists, I think it’s easy to forget pairings of two people doing vocals (Louis does play also). Ella and Louis had such amazing chemistry and are without question two of the 20th century’s greatest entertainers. Their recordings will always be among my all-time favorites.

It doesn’t hurt that the backing band is Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, and Herb Ellis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Getz and Raney

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar View Post
    That's funny -- I was about to say Paul Chambers & Jimmy Cobb:

User Info Menu

No one will agree, care or even know of this pairing, but the music they made together has got everything I listen for. Jackie of course with that acid dry, slightly-sharp, "fuck you" attitude, and the curiously unassertive but totally intriguing voice of Tina's horn, who was once described as "sounding like he hates every note that he plays". It's Hard Bop, Post Bop, Cool and Modal all at once, and I often wonder if I'm the only person in the world that is left feeling utterly devastated by this music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    The studio album is Pure Desmond with Paul Desmond, Ed Bickert, Connie Kay and Ron Carter, if I remember correctly. I'd have to look at the album to verify that. Jim Hall recounted a funny story about that; he had recommended that Desmond look up Bickert when he went to Canada to play there, and the two of them just clicked. After the album came out, somebody hailed Jim Hall and said "I really loved your playing on Desmond's most recent album; I don't think you've ever sounded so good." Jim was quiet for a while and then said "that wasn't me, that was Ed Bickert."

I have problems with the mix of that album. Desmond is mixed very far forward and the guitar is at times all but inaudible- and to be honest, that's who I want to hear. The Mosaic Records boxed set reference above was recorded on stage by Dan Thompson, the bassist (imagine managing recording and playing bass at the same time). The balance is much better and the recording is really well produced. I very much enjoy those CDs. Some of the performances were also released on one or two live albums under Paul Desmond's name previously, although the sound quality of the Mosaic set is much better.

I took "duos" to mean just two players on the recording, not two featured players with a backing band. The two records by Jimmy and Doug Raney I think are remarkably good. They are both exemplars of straightahead jazz. outside of the straightahead realm, there is a set of videos from a gig by Bill Frisell and Julian Lage on YouTube; the playing is wonderful, the sound is quite good and I've always hoped that that would come out as an official release.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    I just thought that to some degree maybe I had misunderstood the title...
    Looks like I interpreted the title the same as you did, which is why my first thought was Getz and Raney.

But as you noted there are multiple ways one could interpret the title.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    No one will agree, care or even know of this pairing, but the music they made together has got everything I listen for. Jackie of course with that acid dry, slightly-sharp, "fuck you" attitude, and the curiously unassertive but totally intriguing voice of Tina's horn, who was once described as "sounding like he hates every note that he plays". It's Hard Bop, Post Bop, Cool and Modal all at once, and I often wonder if I'm the only person in the world that is left feeling utterly devastated by this music.

Most people know Jackie Mac but you're not the only one aware of Tina Brooks, I've had his Minor Mode lp for almost 40 yrs. Just picked up a copy of The Waiting Game this week.
    In case you haven't seen it this is the only clip of him I'm aware of...