The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love the sound Kurt gets on records like "East Coast Love Affair" and "I Wish I Knew" by Chris Cheek. It's very different from what he does now. Does anyone know what gear he's running, or just have some ideas on how to get a similar tone?

Here's a good example:

If it matters I currently have a D'Angelico Excel dcsp and recently got a Henriksen Blu, but I'm not sure I want to keep it.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi - great albums/sound!
    I'm pretty sure he used Polytones back then, but not sure about effects. Member "Jimmy Blue Note" (not his real name!) here knows that lore well, so hopefully he'll jump in!

[And your Blu will sell in no time if you post it for sale here!]

Happy hunting!

Marc

User Info Menu

He parallel sings his lines into a microphone, maybe that's what's puzzling you? [edit] And that mic is fed into his guitar amp.

The guitar itself sounds like a Jazz box into a Polytone (with clearly audible delay pedal on it)

He's kind of a gear head, so good luck with your search:

From WikiP.:
    Rosenwinkel has played a D'Angelico New Yorker, a Sadowsky semi-hollow body, a Gibson ES-335, guitars made by Italian luthier Domenico Moffa, a Yamaha SG, a Gibson SG, and a signature model made by Westville Guitars.

Rosenwinkel has used a variety of effects, including: Neunaber WET Stereo Reverb, Strymon Timeline, Strymon Mobius, Strymon Blue Sky Reverb, Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo, Digitech Vocalist, Thegigrig HumDinger, Rockett Allan Holdsworth, Empress ParaEQ, Pro Co RAT distortion, TC Electronic Nova Reverb, Lehle D. Loop Effect-loop/Switcher, Malekko Echo 600 Dark, Old World Audio 1960 Compressor, Electro-Harmonix HOG Polyphonic Guitar Synthesizer, Eventide TimeFactor Delay, Xotic X-Blender Effects Loops, Empress Tremolo, Lehle Parallel line mixer, TC Electronic SCF stereo chorus flanger, and Boss Corporation OC-3 octave, Strymon Riverside, Eventide H9, EHX Pog 2, Source Audio EQ, among others.[4] He has also used a Lavalier lapel microphone fed into his guitar amplifier[5] that blends his vocalizing with his guitar.

User Info Menu

He was definitely playing through an old Polytone amp with a 15" speaker at the time. He was also using the green Line 6 delay pedal in the late 90's/early 2000's (although both of these recordings were from the mid-90's) and I believe I remember reading in an old interview where he mentioned using an older Yamaha semi-hollow on the East Coast Love Affair live album. I really like his tone on his Criss-Cross album "Intuit". He was using a fully hollow Gibson ES-330 on that recording.

User Info Menu

I really liked his different sounds on the whole Star Of Jupiter album, but he's going for a compressed fusiony sounds there.