The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beyond words - stunning performance. 100% standing ovation from 500 strong audience in L'Astrada theatre/auditorium near the site of the annual festival in Marciac, Gers, France. Rythym Section of Dave King ( drums ) ex- Bad Plus and many other projects and Jorg Roeder on acoustic bass. Worth googling both.

Sound man travels with them from N.York and it shows, all was near perfect. No pedals, just reverb from Twin Reverb. Pure magic. Thing is, what IS he doing! I can hear several influences including Bill Frisell, Jim Hall and blues and country are in there for sure, but other than that and that he appears to be using the full harmonic potential of the instrument and pretty well every note on the fretboard I am clueless as to his approach harmonically. Can anyone enlighten me?

David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    Beyond words - stunning performance. 100% standing ovation from 500 strong audience in L'Astrada theatre/auditorium near the site of the annual festival in Marciac, Gers, France. Rythym Section of Dave King ( drums ) ex- Bad Plus and many other projects and Jorg Roeder on acoustic bass. Worth googling both.

Sound man travels with them from N.York and it shows, all was near perfect. No pedals, just reverb from Twin Reverb. Pure magic. Thing is, what IS he doing! I can hear several influences including Bill Frisell, Jim Hall and blues and country are in there for sure, but other than that and that he appears to be using the full harmonic potential of the instrument and pretty well every note on the fretboard I am clueless as to his approach harmonically. Can anyone enlighten me?

David
    The best thing about Julian Lage’s playing and music is that it is uniquely his. He pulls from a lot of different deep wells. Bluegrass(Tony Rice, Doc Watson), blues(the 3Kings,Robert Cray), jazz (Pat Metheny, Jim Hall),free jazz and avant-garde (Nels Cline, Marc Ribot), world music, classical, rock(Jimi Hendrix). He knows melodic cells quite well. There is quite a variety he chooses from.
    Another thing about Mr.Lage’s playing is that you can hear and see he loves it. Music, guitar playing, gear, he is a complete guitar geek like most of us. I will download few vids that showcase Lage in different styles and settings. Good stuff. Glad you were able to catch him. His shows are usually inspiring.

Sorry. Got carried away. Ha!
    Last edited by Enlightened Rogue; 05-08-2024 at 07:47 AM.

User Info Menu

er
    Last edited by blackcat; 04-29-2024 at 05:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Excellent reply - thank you. That said, I wish that I could better grasp his harmonic direction across a range of material.

David.

User Info Menu

I heard this trio live a couple of weeks ago. Just superb! Playing and sound was top notch!

User Info Menu

Recent interviews with Jorge Roeder ( bass )
    and Dave King ( drums ) here:

I can well see why the whole thing (trio) works so well.

David

User Info Menu

Simply superb - Bounce | Jorge Roeder Julage Trio being just one of his many projects.

User Info Menu

I got to spend about a half an hour or so talking with Jorge at a Julian Lage gig around the time Arclight came out. He is a well read, thoughtful, philosophical musician who seems to understand his craft impeccably. I had not heard of him by name prior to that gig, and it was a fascinating conversation. His ability to bridge between Julian and the drummer, Kenny Wollesen, was really impressive. Kenny's time consistency is metronomic and he really does not give an inch; Julian pushes and prods and pulls at time; and Jorge managed to balance the two beautifully. Hearing him in the rhythm section with Dave King reveals a whole 'nother side of Jorge's playing.

FWIW, this is why I really prefer small group/trio jazz- because you have the opportunity to really hear how the musicians put it all together. The more musicians there are, the harder that is to track (at least to me).

User Info Menu

I visited their concert in Berlin two weeks ago. It was really short!