The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Julian played with his trio last night in Amsterdam. The venue holds 725 people and was sold out. He used his Nachocaster through a Deluxe. He checked its tuning before the first song and never again afterwards. I feel like I witnessed something very special, although of course it wasn’t because for Julian it was just another gig. But for me, it was. I feel like I saw Hendrix at Woodstock or the Beatles at the Ed Sullivan show. Not that I did either of those, but you get the point. It’s exhilarating to see three exceptionally talented people flying by the seat of their pants, a hair’s width from the abyss. It felt like things might go off the rails at any second but of course they never really did. Julian’s sudden, jerky movements, his sporadic utterings and mutterings and super-instinctual, in-the-moment approach made it seem like he tapped into the divine somehow. And the sound… there’s exactly one thing I have in common with Julian and that’s the way he uses his amp and responds to its tone, going from a whisper to a scream without ever touching a volume control. It’s like a dance for three: Julian, the guitar and the amp. And I loved it. Based on the raucous reception I’d say the other 724 people there loved it too. For the price of a guitar lesson I got an hour and twenty minutes of incredible music.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for your review.
    I can't wait until his gig here in Munich next Wednesday. I bought the tickets half a year ago and it was easily sold out...

User Info Menu

I enjoy Julian Lage’s playing. He is a blessed musician with immense talent. I am a lover of acoustic music and like his acoustic playing much more than the electric. He is great with the electric as well though. I wouldn’t negatively critique his playing. I am glad he is sharing his gift with the world.

Here are a few very cool clips(imo) of Lage,Okazaki,and Halvorson playing/improvising: