The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny made it back to Lexington Kentucky last night for a performance of his "Dreambox" tour. It's a solo performance, but it weaves through all the eras and stages of Pat's music, showcasing the variety of guitars he plays ranging from the old brown "Synth" guitar, his experiments with baritone guitars, and the recent Ibanez with the Charlie Christian pickup. It runs about 2.5 hours, no intermission, Pat playing pretty much the whole time. That guy has a serious work ethic!
    But for this, he did something I"ve not seen before: HE TALKED. Yes, Pat Metheny actually talked in some detail abou this journey, his musical influences, his experimentation with a range of modifications on his instruments, and it was deeply engaging. It was a feast for the guitarists in the audience, and I suspect they had flocked in from all over the region. The room seem packed with guitar players! But any music-lover would have enjoyed this performance. Pat's technique is so utterly clean and flawless, his musicality and melodic sense were in full bloom, and his shear enjoyment off the music and the guitars was evident.
    All was made even more intimate by the nature of the concert hall. The Lexington Opera House is set up with literally no bad seats. You are right up close almost anywhere you sit, which made the connection between the artist and audience all the closer.
    I and the little group I came with had a fabulous evening, well worth it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a show I would love to see, but alas he is not headed my way.

I wonder if he is filming some of these shows? The clips might make for a nice documentary film someday.

User Info Menu

I have tickets for his concert here in Munich in October. Your review makes me more excited to see him then!