The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

I've never understood why this guy isn't acclaimed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great musician, try this one....

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

Lest we forget.

Is that Chick Corea not doing anything?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Lest we forget.

Is that Chick Corea not doing anything?
    It was a downbeat awards show cohosted by Quincy and Chick
    a true mold breaker, there certainly will never be another RRK......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    I've never understood why this guy isn't acclaimed.
    Rahsaan was acclaimed by jazz aficionados.

Saw him at Keystone Korner in San Francisco, he was a one man horn section, played lead and accompaniment at the same time - mindblowing!

User Info Menu

He most certainly is in my house. There will never be another.
    Attached Images Attached Images Rahsaan Roland Kirk-rkirk-png 

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

With a totally stellar lineup, his solo at Mingus's Carnage hall concert stands out.

He'd tour the college circuits and his concerts always featured a Q&A from the stage during intermission. His answers were always frank and he didn't hold his punches.
    Once someone asked about his playing after the stroke that took the use of one of his arms. He answered "I had a stroke. Now get off my case."
    Another time someone asked his thoughts of Hendrix. I was totally surprised by his response "Jimi and I played together. Jimi was a beautiful cat."

Check out Rahsaan's solo on C Jam blues. He follows George Adams who really takes the blues to the edge (this lineup is like the history of jazz on one stage). Kirk has the follow up solo (about 9:30) and has the last word. His solo was two minutes without stopping for a breath. Playing two horns at once at the end of the collective jam...

User Info Menu

I love Rahsaan. Great music with a lot of humor. I just read that his performance on the Ed Sullivan Show was supposed to be a mellow cover of a Stevie Wonder song and then that - live for millions of viewers:

User Info Menu

Can't have too much RRK

User Info Menu

I thought he was acclaimed? He's one of the most interesting of all the avant garde style players IMO. He offers something even to the rudimentary listener that can be accessed. A RK record was some of the first jazz I heard and was immediately drawn to it because it is simultaneously forward thinking while keeping elements of the blues in there. A great artist!

Howard Rees told me of Kirk playing at the Colonial in Toronto and there was an obnoxious drunk blathering on while Kirk was soloing. Kirk gets off the stage, wades through the tables, blind and still blowing, gets to the bar and puts the drunk in a headlock and finished his solo.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan and saw him back in the day at the Village Vanguard in NY. I was amazed by his circular breathing technique and playing nose flute. I even named my cat after him!

User Info Menu

One of my life-long best friends and dearest musical allies named his son after him in '73.

User Info Menu

Many years ago I saw an amazing triple bill concert.

Pharoah Sanders playing in his African music meets jazz vibe.

Alice Coltrane playing piano, harp and organ playing in a spiritual jazz vibe.
    Included in this band was John McLaughlin playing a Gibson archtop (this was when the 2nd Mahavishnu Orchestra record had jus come out.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk played all standards and blues including a version of the Entertainer by Eubie Blake which was heavily overplayed on the radio at that time. Although his repertoire was the least new and exciting on the surface, his energy and individual musical persona transcended to the highest levels. An interesting lesson learned by me that day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    I'm a big fan and saw him back in the day at the Village Vanguard in NY. I was amazed by his circular breathing technique and playing nose flute. I even named my cat after him!
    We used to play Serenade to a Cuckoo but w out the nose flute, not sure why we stopped, it's almost a jazz standard at this point.

User Info Menu

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull borrowed his flute playing technique from Rahsaan, and they covered "Serenade to a Cuckoo" on their first album, but it was juvenile compared to Rahsaan's playing.

Rahsaan plays flute only on the album, "I Talk with The Spirits," on which Serenade is the first track:

I Talk with the Spirits - Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Roland Kirk

User Info Menu

I swear I saw him on Johnny Carson or something like that ages ago. If I remember right he was wearing bright yellow, rubber bib-overalls. Like the things road-work guys wear on rainy days. I dug the look, but I figured it might've been protection from the saliva spilling out of all the horns & flutes & whistles he wore.

Anybody know anything about that episode? I googlerized it to death but no luck. Was it a dream?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Check out Rahsaan's solo on C Jam blues. He follows George Adams who really takes the blues to the edge (this lineup is like the history of jazz on one stage). Kirk has the follow up solo (about 9:30) and has the last word. His solo was two minutes without stopping for a breath. Playing two horns at once at the end of the collective jam...
    I'm usually not a fan of out there stuff, but this was just perfect. They take the tune on a journey.

User Info Menu

Yeah he's overlooked and for a large part marginalized, even while he was alive. He had a stroke and there was some notice but not a big notice.
    I was at Berklee 4 years, took plenty of classes including survey classes and not ONCE was he even mentioned, especially in analysis. He just didn't exist in the educational scheme of things.

User Info Menu

Rahsaan was amazing! The general public has no clue about him but musicians know! I got the low down from a fellow employee at the car wash where I worked at age 17.

Last edited by AndyV; 03-29-2024 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

MIchael Angelo Batio has said many times that he was the inspriration for...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

I first heard him do that song on the TV show "Soul" during which he attacked and destroyed a folding chair! It's stayed with me all these years, so I wrote a big band chart on a medley of that and the Moondog song "Lament For Bird". None of the sax players knew either song, but they dug it, and that's all that matters. I'm having it performed April 16th by the other big band I play with, who have IMHO some of the best players in NY (I don't know what I'm doing there). I already asked them if they heard the Moondog song that was written for sax, and none of them heard of it! It should be interesting to hear what this band thinks of them.
    I was friends with a multi instrumentalist who was part of the Roland Kirk Vibration Society (or whatever it was called), and they used to go to all the TV talk and variety shows and disrupt them, complaining about the lack of jazz on television back then. Dick Cavett actually let RRK come up onstage and voice his opinion, instead of just getting them ejected by security, like all the other shows, and it resulted in having an all-star band of Mingus RRK and others have a huge jam session on one of the shows. I can't even imagine that happening today!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    With a totally stellar lineup, his solo at Mingus's Carnage hall concert stands out.

He'd tour the college circuits and his concerts always featured a Q&A from the stage during intermission. His answers were always frank and he didn't hold his punches.
    Once someone asked about his playing after the stroke that took the use of one of his arms. He answered "I had a stroke. Now get off my case."
    Another time someone asked his thoughts of Hendrix. I was totally surprised by his response "Jimi and I played together. Jimi was a beautiful cat."

Hendrix was a huge fan of Roland Kirk. I think a deep dive into Hendrix's material provide good evidence that he definitely used some of his approaches and techniques. The kazoo on Crosstown Traffic, just as one example. He's on record talking about his love for Roland Kirk in a couple interviews as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I first heard him do that song on the TV show "Soul" during which he attacked and destroyed a folding chair! It's stayed with me all these years, so I wrote a big band chart on a medley of that and the Moondog song "Lament For Bird". None of the sax players knew either song, but they dug it, and that's all that matters. I'm having it performed April 16th by the other big band I play with, who have IMHO some of the best players in NY (I don't know what I'm doing there). I already asked them if they heard the Moondog song that was written for sax, and none of them heard of it! It should be interesting to hear what this band thinks of them.
    I was friends with a multi instrumentalist who was part of the Roland Kirk Vibration Society (or whatever it was called), and they used to go to all the TV talk and variety shows and disrupt them, complaining about the lack of jazz on television back then. Dick Cavett actually let RRK come up onstage and voice his opinion, instead of just getting them ejected by security, like all the other shows, and it resulted in having an all-star band of Mingus RRK and others have a huge jam session on one of the shows. I can't even imagine that happening today!
    I just read Lee Morgan's bio DelightfuLee. He was part of the protest group w Kirk. It was called Jazz and the People’s Movement. They marched in parades playing whistles, flutes, etc and showed up each week at talk shows starting w Merv Griffin, Dick Cavett, then the The Tonight Show w paid for tickets and drowned out the house bands led by Kirk who smuggled a clarinet in. A meeting was arranged w producers which ended w Lee screaming at them. He said they should have Monk on as musical guest w his bass player, not Doc Severinson's bassist. Then came Ed Sullivan and the producers relented and decided to have Kirk's band w Mingus play on the show so they picked and rehearsed Stevie Wonder's My Cherie Amore. But they day of the taping the musicians ditched it and played Kirk's Haitian Fight Song instead which shocked the producers but they were allowed to play it.
    Mingus wound up getting a Guggenheim fellowship out of it.