The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

According to this You Tube video, Clint had a major stroke in the middle of 2023, and is entire left side is paralyzed. In the description, they said he probably won't be able to use his left hand anymore.
    The video is the last thing he ever recorded a day before the stroke, and they just have him playing the heads to about 20 standards.
    He's still alive, but the best living jazz guitarist will not be able to play the guitar again, according to this.
    Last edited by sgcim; 03-12-2024 at 12:44 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

oh fuck. i was so happy when he got his youtube channel. despite obvious health problems he was still playing really well. certainly one of the greatest. i wish him all the best. is there a gofundme?

User Info Menu

That video of him playing heads to organ trio tracks showed up in my feed and I couldn't figure it out. He physically looked like he had a stroke but seemed like he could still play, though not quite like he used to. I didnt know it was shot the day before, judging from the video I'm assuming he was ill before the stroke?
    Damn shame, it was heartbreaking watching the Beato Jarrett interview recently after Keith's stroke 6 yrs ago.
    As for Strong being the greatest living jazz guitarist, that's hard to argue when you think about it, I'd put Joe Cohn up there w him, but still, those two are in pretty rare company imo. But Clint could play just about any style well.

User Info Menu

Oh no, that's tragic. I'm sure we wish him all the best for his recovery, even if it means he may never play again.
    If he's not THE greatest living player, he's way up there.

User Info Menu

Terrible news. Fantastic player.

User Info Menu

I seldom post here but like reading threads here, barely a beginner jazz player but a master music/artist appreciater lol true. One of my greatest finds was Clint Strong years ago. I've tried to put everything I could find on YT in my Clint Strong playlist. Very saddening to read about his stroke. Started going back through some of my Clint saves I rewatched his Mastering Jazz Licks hour and half long video and what a fabulous player he was.

In this video he talks about putting in chord moves etc into country music and was amazed at him covering the old Bob Wills tune Right or Wrong had me just smh so in remembrance around the 5/1/2 min mark he goes into advanced chord/lick structures in this tune, the entire vid is beyond excellent.

User Info Menu

This is a terrible shame. I met Clint many years ago at the Dallas Guitar show and wow can he play. He could make a Les Paul sound better than any guitarist I know. Sad news for sure. I maybe be out of line, but I think Clint might have had quite an adventurous and active life of a musician. I think sometimes it does not lead to the best of health. I sure hope possibly they can get him some therapy and he might be able to play a bit. What I remember was at the show he sat down just play a bit and it seem like in 5 minutes he covered the neck of the guitar, and it was just on autopilot. HE had chops for sure, but he also played with energy and emotion.

It is another take for us to appreciate our situation if we can sit down and play our guitars even if we are not ever going to be very good. I watch the video and it just made my heart turn. Even in the short clip of bop heads and tunes you could see he had real talent playing at much less than what was normal. He is an example of a jazz guitarist who did it well with country players and country style playing companions.

User Info Menu

Clint is a monster player, I am so sorry to hear this and hope for the best for his recovery. I think of Jimmy Bruno who had a medical crisis a few years ago and he thought he'd be unable to play again, yet today he is blazing away. Hoping the same for Clint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    According to this You Tube video
    There's no video in your post.

I think you might be referring to this video posted on Clint's YouTube channel:

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    There's no video in your post.

I think you might be referring to this video posted on Clint's YouTube channel:
    Thanks, I could've sworn I posted a link to the video. I went back and added it.

User Info Menu

Very tragic. I had the same reaction as the deacon when I saw the video. I viewed him as the successor to Hank Garland, with his phenomenal technical abilities and having "feet" in both the jazz and country worlds.

John Galich

User Info Menu

I have been listening to the last performance clip over and over again. I hope he has some recovery. To see him pick up a guitar again would be fantastic.

User Info Menu

Very sad news. Like Deacon Mark, I would see Clint often at the Arlington and Dallas shows hanging out in my good friend Tom Van Hoose's booth. I always remember how proud Jerry, his later father was of Clint. Deservedly so. And Clint had fabulous stories about learning from Howard Roberts as a kid. Clint was always a gentleman and so kind and encouraging. He'd also insist on playing a couple tunes with me even though my talents were far behind his. Comping for Clint was like trying to hold on while Usain Bolt took off up and down the fretboard. But it wasn't just speed and chops. Clint was always musical and tasteful, often with a dash of humor... like ending a standard with Smoke On The Water. Deacon Mark is correct that Clint lead a "colorful" life as a musician. Sadly that life most likely took a toll. Hopefully Clint will bounce back and be able to play again. If not, he will be missed.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that Heads list you played Clint..put it in my Artists folder

User Info Menu

The guy managing Clint's YouTube just started posting "lesson archive" vids with Clint. Lots of good nuggets to be found in them

User Info Menu

Posted on YouTube yesterday:
    If you want to brighten up Clint's day send him a card or letter. I know for a fact he would also love a visit from any of his friends or fans. Bring your guitar and play a song for him that would make his day. Wedgewood Nursing Home 6621 Dan Danciger Rd, Fort Worth, TX 76133 roon 224.

User Info Menu

So sad.
    Phenomenal player, and versatile.