The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He'll be 83 next month and still out there doing it. Looks pretty good for his age too, hope I make it that far and can still play that well.
    I don't know if he played that Johnny Smith so much the fingerboard inlays fell out or what.

ps my Al Gafa story is he was briefly on the forum and at one point I went to my profile and noticed he visited it for some reason or another. eh, probably just a slip of the finger when he was reading through a post
    that's all I got......

Frank Vignola's Guitar Night with Al Gafa, March 6, 2024. - YouTube
    Last edited by wintermoon; 03-07-2024 at 03:24 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    He'll be 83 next month and still out there doing it. Looks pretty good for his age too, hope I make it that far and can still play that well.
    I don't know if he played that Johnny Smith so much the fingerboard inlays fell out or what.

ps my Al Gafa story is he was briefly on the forum and at one point I went to my profile and noticed he visited it for some reason or another. eh, probably just a slip of the finger when he was reading through a post
    that's all I got......

pps

My Al Gafa story...someone posted a live recording of Dizzy Gillespie somewhere in Europe & asked who the guitarist was, I said Al Gafa & he visited my profile too, let's see if he takes the bait this time...

That's all I got - borrowed this from the local record library when I was 15, wasn't untill I was in my 50's that eBay came up with the goods...
    Attached Images Attached Images Al Gafa @ Frank Vignolas Guitar Night-algafa-jpg 

User Info Menu

That album he did on Pablo was such a great record,it's a crime he didn't do more solo albums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

that's all I got......

Yeah, he checked out my profile too, so don't get a big head WM..LOL!
    I saw him play at a Jazz Festival on Lawnguyland I used to play at every year, back when they gave a crap about jazz on LI.
    He was playing with Diz in the quartet that they had back then. Dizzy had the huge crowd in the palm of his hand, with his magnetic personality.
    He just seemed to know how to make thousands of people love him. Other than Roland Kirk no one ever had that type of rapport with an audience in jazz.
    I remember playing at a restaurant in Brooklyn where some guy told me Al used to play at a lot.
    A bass player friend of mine used to play with Al in a small group at the World Trade Center at that restaurant they had way up the sky just before 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Yeah, he checked out my profile too, so don't get a big head WM..LOL!
    I saw him play at a Jazz Festival on Lawnguyland I used to play at every year, back when they gave a crap about jazz on LI.
    He was playing with Diz in the quartet that they had back then. Dizzy had the huge crowd in the palm of his hand, with his magnetic personality.
    He just seemed to know how to make thousands of people love him. Other than Roland Kirk no one ever had that type of rapport with an audience in jazz.
    I remember playing at a restaurant in Brooklyn where some guy told me Al used to play at a lot.
    A bass player friend of mine used to play with Al in a small group at the World Trade Center at that restaurant they had way up the sky just before 9/11.
    fortunately, his gig was @ the WTC before 9/11
    ok, so he checked out everyone's profile when he was here, I kinda figured he landed in mine by accident
    as for my big head, maybe that's why i have trouble walking through doorways these days, thank a lot Al!