The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

Phew…

I don‘t know what that’s about? Sounds just horrible to me, even if I really love his other stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    Phew…

I don‘t know what that’s about? Sounds just horrible to me, even if I really love his other stuff.
    I agree but according to the Jazzwise review...'the crunching ‘Northern Shuffle’ mixes an earthily bluesy rock groove with unexpectedly free-floating melodic embroidery (Lage being endlessly capable of threading torrents of variations into the tightest spaces).'

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's just what it is. Blues rock groove with free jazz excursions. Oh well. The whole album is out today, I'll give it a complete listen before I judge single tracks.

Hell, in the context of Revolver, even Yellow Submarine sounds good...

User Info Menu

Well, that is certainly interesting...

(it's a nice way of saying "what the hell???")

But yeah- can't judge an album by one strange track. I remember when Squint came out, the first song I heard (for some reason) was Squint. The only song I skip when I listen to the album, I LOVE the album.

User Info Menu

Love the grittiness. Sounds maybe like the guitar strings are tuned down?

User Info Menu

Well THIS is pretty cool...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    That’s awesome! Watched it three times in a row.

User Info Menu

having listened to the album now, it is great, and every single tune makes sense in the context of the whole.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yep. Reminds me more than a bit of the Willem Breuker Kollektief, but also makes me want to see him and Justin Johnson jam together!

User Info Menu

I dig it in a.. absurdist? kind of way. I actually laughed at times. Like around 4:00 in the OP where does some weird ass chickin' pickin' wackiness.

What a nut! I mean that as a high compliment. You should check out some recent Okazaki. Very nutty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    having listened to the album now, it is great, and every single tune makes sense in the context of the whole.
    Same here. It’s like they really captured lightning in a bottle. Very spontaneous, very fresh and pure, quite daring and never contrived. Kudos to him for following his muse no matter where it takes him.

User Info Menu

It is very typical Julian stylist reference…

most of things he does are very postmodernistic by nature with references to traditions, genres, historical periods… even the guitars he uses are a part of this conception

though I cannot say I always like it feeling that it is often like Venice and Paris in Las Vegas… but it is another thing, I understand why he does it though
    ( imho his best stuff for me is bluegrass crossover in duo with Chris Eldridge: very authentic creativity there. The rest is nice and masterfully played but kind of… non obligatory?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    It is very typical Julian stylist reference…

most of things he does are very postmodernistic by nature with references to traditions, genres, historical periods… even the guitars he uses are a part of this conception

though I cannot say I always like it feeling that it is often like Venice and Paris in Las Vegas… but it is another thing, I understand why he does it though
    ( imho his best stuff for me is bluegrass crossover in duo with Chris Eldridge: very authentic creativity there. The rest is nice and masterfully played but kind of… non obligatory?)
    I like that record too. Must listen again.

On a separate note I still don’t get the appeal of that farty driven tweed thing. People prepared to part with a lot of money to get it tho, so what do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    On a separate note I still don’t get the appeal of that farty driven tweed thing. People prepared to part with a lot of money to get it tho, so what do I know?
    I think alot of rock and blues players who are starting to explore jazz like that... almost like it's a "gateway drug" (as opposed to starting out with Uber-clean Johnny Smith). I know the slight overdrive instantly appealed to me when I first heard Julian use it. If he was playing "another archtop with a 'jazz tone' like everybody else", I'd be MUCH LESS interested.

FWIW, I also love Kenny Burrell- Midnight Blue is my favorite all-time, and you can hear the amp being pushed on double stops and in different places. Charlie Christian too (altho could that amp EVER be CLEAN? lol)

User Info Menu

I think alot of rock and blues players who are starting to explore jazz like that... almost like it's a "gateway drug" (as opposed to starting out with Uber-clean Johnny Smith). I know the slight overdrive instantly appealed to me when I first heard Julian use it. If he was playing "another archtop with a 'jazz tone' like everybody else", I'd be MUCH LESS interested.

FWIW, I also love Kenny Burrell- Midnight Blue is my favorite all-time, and you can hear the amp being pushed on double stops and in different places. Charlie Christian too (altho could that amp EVER be CLEAN? lol)
    It’s not drive I have a problem with. I just don’t like this type of breakup tone very much. But I understand it is very much a thing in vintage gear circles.

Julian was playing I think a morning glory through a modern blackface Fender amp (might even have been the house Fender hot rod lol) on the Arclight tour and I loved it. One of the best guitar tones I’ve heard. Pretty basic set up.

I just don’t like the tweed breakup sound. I didn’t like it when Clapton used it for the Cream reunion either. But guys like him and Julian have access to dream gear so… what do I know?

But who knows, I said I’d never buy a 335 now look at me. It’s good I don’t have any hats.

Seconded re KB’s midnight blue tone.

(I would defer to you in this. You did me a solid by recommending the Dude so you clearly know your drives.)

User Info Menu

I don't find this tune all that odd.

Agree with the other poster above that the album is a really nice cohesive piece. I think its the fullest statement of Julian as an artist yet. Cruncy guitar trio, free improvised jazz music, blues, solo acoustic performance, singer song writer/folky stuff all woven together

User Info Menu

Reminds me of Dave Edmunds - I Hear You Knocking

Make of that what you will!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    It’s not drive I have a problem with. I just don’t like this type of breakup tone very much. But I understand it is very much a thing in vintage gear circles.

Julian was playing I think a morning glory through a modern blackface Fender amp (might even have been the house Fender hot rod lol) on the Arclight tour and I loved it. One of the best guitar tones I’ve heard. Pretty basic set up.

I just don’t like the tweed breakup sound. I didn’t like it when Clapton used it for the Cream reunion either. But guys like him and Julian have access to dream gear so… what do I know?

But who knows, I said I’d never buy a 335 now look at me. It’s good I don’t have any hats.

Seconded re KB’s midnight blue tone.

(I would defer to you in this. You did me a solid by recommending the Dude so you clearly know your drives.)

I have a Morning Glory, I used it with my Princeton Reverb with a P90-equipped tele. It was THAT SOUND. Just perfect. Smoother breakup on the low end for sure.

He's probably just "living life"- experimenting with new things, continuing to experience new things and continuing to see what he likes and doesn't. And sometimes you just want something different for awhile. That's why most of us have more than one amp and one guitar LOL.

User Info Menu

I have a Morning Glory, I used it with my Princeton Reverb with a P90-equipped tele. It was THAT SOUND. Just perfect. Smoother breakup on the low end for sure.

He's probably just "living life"- experimenting with new things, continuing to experience new things and continuing to see what he likes and doesn't. And sometimes you just want something different for awhile. That's why most of us have more than one amp and one guitar LOL.
    Well I don’t approve. How dare he. ;-)

Hmmm… It seems to me that Julian is drifting more and more into classical, improvised jazz. I miss the refreshingness of albums like Arclight, Modern Lore, Love Hurts or Squint. Or a guitar tone like on “Tributary” (maybe the most beautiful guitar tone ever?). To me the new album is rather retrograde, but that's just me. But I'm afraid fewer young guitarists will feel inspired by this than from the albums mentioned above. Julian Lage is probably still the best guitarist of today (and hey, he can play whatever HE wants :-)), but there are some young guitarists who sound much more inspiring and thus not only do the guitar a great favor as an instrument, they also shine technically and don’t care for musical styles (like Julian did the last years). Just my 2 cts.

User Info Menu

The guitar tone reminds me of when, at around 12 years old, I connected a ripped external speaker to my Vox AC10. I got a Fuzz Face soon after.

Julian is generally a great artist, but it's ok to not like something he does, without any "context" or intellectualization being necessary IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Julian is generally a great artist, but it's ok to not like something he does, without any "context" or intellectualization being necessary IMO.
    Nobody said it wasn't.

And Fuzz Faces are awesome.

User Info Menu

I'm glad he's found a new direction. I was getting a bit tired of the Americana folky thing.
    Maybe it's a new take on an old direction?

My only beef with Julian is that he's just a little too well-adjusted and happy for my liking :)

User Info Menu

Not JL but definitely worth a listen... I really dig JBU!

User Info Menu

His playing is evolving as it should. Yes take chances experiment and show them to us.

Ben Monder has experimented alot with his own work..and applied some of that to
    a pop tune..I feel Lage is doing much the same.

Here is Monder doing Witchita Line Man..I feel some of the same energy in the JL piece.