The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Wes Bound: the genius of wes montgomery on at 8:00 pm est on PBS world. It says its about his life and career from the early years in indiana to fame with lionel hampton.PBS tonight wes montgomery bio-screenshot_20240219-072412_gallery-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's not showing on my cable network, I guess I don't have PBS World channel.

User Info Menu

Sorry, didn't see the other thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian859
    Sorry, didn't see the other thread.
    No, no. It was your post that prompted me to do the search. Also, I found this NPR link where you can stream the program anytime. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Thanks for that link JShrink! I wasn't able to find a way to see it in my neck of the woods this time around or last time. Thoroughly enjoyable and filled in some blanks for me.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting, it was good to watch it on TV this time instead of my computer screen.
    Still not a fan of the graphics that modern documentaries contain w all the cartoony images but I tried to ignore that stuff and concentrate on the content. The rare movie clips and pics were cool too.
    I had forgotten the interview w Monk at the end where he said Wes had a weak heart and was done performing from a health standpoint before the heart attack. He was pretty adamant about it. I guess one can assume it was just a matter of time.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up. Took me about half an hour to find it on my programming but I tracked it down (no pun intended). All set to record.

I personally would have liked to see a little less of two people talking about how great he was, and he was, but with more clips of him actually playing.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed watching the link in #5. Easy to be superficially critical. The dobro or steel guitar background music could be more in line with the key subject matter. But the main content, interviews, chronology, were well done and fitting. Involving the family was also a nice touch. The book by Oliver Dunskus goes over the same material, along with a chronology of all of Wes's albums.

Tom

Thanks for sharing this, can't wait to watch!

User Info Menu

FWIW, if you have access to PBS Passport through contributions to a PBS station, this is available on demand, along with a huge library of other programs of all types. As little as $5US/month will get it.

User Info Menu

Great video... it came out last year, along with Dave Stryker in a separate performance video with some college band, killing it on a bunch of Wes classics. Similar title and absolutely worth the watch. Dave seemingly nails every tune in what looks like a single take performance.

Last time I saw something that flawless was when Eric Johnson came through on his Ah Via Musicom tour and played through the entire album flawlessly, tune after tune, without hesitation.

While the background music could have been more aligned with the key subject matter, it's wonderful that you found the interviews, chronology, and involvement of Wes Montgomery's family to be well-executed and fitting. The book by Oliver Dunskus sounds like a valuable resource for delving deeper into Wes Montgomery's life and discography.

User Info Menu

The interesting detail in the brief video is the frequency that Wes's family is discussed and interviewed. It is well known that Wes's family was really important to him.

Dunskus's book has a lot of interesting details for each album that Wes made, in chronological order. Those background details really add to the understanding of the album being addressed. My copy is in my Kindle digital library. Some critics say Wes "sold out" by doing some of the more "commercial" songs on later albums. They conveniently overlook the value Wes placed on his family and his compulsion to support his family.

The book on the left is sheet music for a lot of his tunes. The one on the right is a book that Wintermoon (here) suggested that I get. It's one more source that the Wes fans here would enjoy.

Tom

PBS tonight wes montgomery bio-507165cc-5f0e-49ec-97f3-e9540e090073-jpg

User Info Menu

The film makes a brief, not entirely clear suggestion that Wes’ final performance was in Phoenix before he headed back to Indianapolis. Can anyone confirm this and maybe provide the name of the club? I live in downtown Phoenix and I’d love to track this down.

User Info Menu

Correct, Phoenix, Caesar's Forum June 3-5. He returned to Indianapolis wherehe died 15 June. I saw him, met him and talked with him 10 April 1966 in Minneapolis, at a trade school in their little theater. He was with the Wynton Kelly Trio.

This info from the Dunskus book, page 1412, "Wes's Schedule starting in 1952".

Tom

User Info Menu

Thanks so much! That Caesar's Forum was located two miles from where I now sit. There's a high-rise office building on the site now.
    I found this ad from the June 2, 1968 issue of the Arizona Republic:

PBS tonight wes montgomery bio-wes-phx-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow, that's a neat old ad! And he did not fly between cities....except Europe...he drove everywhere. In addition to smoking, all of that windshield time was probably a negative health thing.

I bet he bought a second seat for his guitar when he flew.

Tom

User Info Menu

Things were different back in the '60s. Airplanes were far less crowded, and the rules were more relaxed. I used to just carry my guitar on as hand luggage, and it was stowed in a closet near me.