The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I attended a terrific concert last night in Hamburg, a tribute to Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grapelli featuring guitarists Martin Taylor, Javier Sánchez, and Giovanni Weiss and with Mathias Lévy on violin and Jean-Philippe Viret on double bass. The show was put on by the NDR (North German Radio, which has a fine big band) at look place in a beautiful smaller studio next to the NDR's offices in the city.

I have to admit I did not know the other two guitarists or the other musicians at all, but they all proved terrifically talented. The first half of the show was the real "Django and Stephane tribute", playing mainly tunes famously played by Django, and ending with a rousing version of Minor Swing. Between the tunes was narration about Django's life and career; while this was interesting I have to admit thinking I would have rather filled the time with more music from this unique group and less talking.

The second half of the program consisted of pieces chosen by each musician or one of their own compositions. It started with a lively rendition of Anthropology, then a weighty version of the tune Django (by John Lewis). A composition by violinist Lévy was a real sonic exploration performed with impressive virtuosity, then a piece by Viret, starting from a simple, syncopated theme, grew with great energy into an extended improv. Sánchez, unusually playing an ES-175 fingerstyle, led another wide-ranging improv on the tune Spain by Chick Corea to end the show. The German audience left their typical reserve behind and cheered excitedly, with even whistling at the end of several numbers.

Martin Taylor played with his typical taste, thoughtfulness, and precision. He started the show playing a round-hole manoche guitar, but in an unexpected treat played a sunburst L-5CES for one of the "Django" numbers and most of the second half.

Here's the online program from the show:
    Fri, 16 Feb 2024 - NDR Jazz Workshop: A Tribute to Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli - Rolf-Liebermann-Studio - Elbphilharmonie

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do you know if there was a recording that will be broadcast?

I don't know definitely, but it was put on by the NDR, so I'd say its likely they recorded it for later broadcast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    I don't know definitely, but it was put on by the NDR, so I'd say its likely they recorded it for later broadcast.
    I just realized I never did a search for jazz in the central libraries for videos and radio programs of Germany's public stations. There is a lot to discover.

Suche | ARD Mediathek

jazz * Suche in der ARD Audiothek * ARD Audiothek