The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just came across this; I am not his biggest fan but I know some of you might be interested. Not sure if this link works in the UK or US.

John Scofield Trio - Deutsches Jazzfestival 2023 - Programm in voller Lange | ARTE Concert

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It works in New Zealand. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I am a big fan, and I liked that a lot. I love hearing him on standard forms like How Deep, Confirmation, etc

Listening to people talk about who is the best is always interesting, at least up to a point. I find it hard to say exactly why Scofield is right up there for me, probably I'm too ignorant or not analytical enough. He just mostly plays in a style that inspires me to play. Though I like plenty of other players to listen to, they don't all do that.

User Info Menu

I think I like Scofield's playing in the last 5 years even more than I did before. There was a wonderful duo video with Larry Grenadier that was part of some Hudson River thing during the pandemic which was outstanding.

User Info Menu

You can keep Pat Meth and Sco, I'll take Mike Stern in a straight ahead setting even with his FX overload.

But you're all welcome for the video link. I knew s/o would like it.

User Info Menu

Well, I am with you on the Pat Metheny Group of the past 25 or 30 years, anyway (post "Travels"), although I have tended to like his trios and other side projects. The early PMG records were great. And I like more recent Scofield better than Scofield from 20 or 25 years ago. I like Stern's playing and his infectious enthusiasm for music, the joy that he radiates when he plays, not to mention his inspiring overcoming of adversity several times in his life. I just can't quite get with his chorus-ey sound. And his penchant for playing solos over about six or more choruses every time.

I really like what I have heard of his wife Leni Stern's music, too.