The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For an upcoming gig, I have to get "Spain" by Chick Corea under my fingers*. I have to say it's not going as well as I might have hoped, particularly the long syncopated section leading into the solo changes. The rest is fairly OK, but since I don't read music it's a matter of memorization. I have been searching around and finding some helpful videos. Here's one that cropped up, not helpful in learning it per se but pretty awesome. I can't be the only one in this forum to have not heard of Mark Sganga before.

*Along with "Moment's Notice" and Joy Spring. The latter I've got down, but lMoment's Notice" is tough on the guitar. I've got to Feb 17.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Listen ro the Al Jarreau version with lyrics. Makes the syncopation so much easier.

User Info Menu

If you’re going to play in unison with other players, don’t just practice but rehearse the part together. Last time I played Spain, the bass player and me had rehearsed with each other and were together, but the pianist was completely lost. Better to lay out than to spoil it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

We did Spain on the forum a while back and I made the effort to learn that bit, it is indeed tricky! Anyway here’s my rendition if it helps, you might get some fingering ideas perhaps. Having that click beat to practise it to definitely helped with the rhythms (and I kept it in the recording to imitate the ‘handclaps’ they use).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Listen ro the Al Jarreau version with lyrics. Makes the syncopation so much easier.
    I don’t know if it’s going to help me learn and remember that syncopation, but it has left me with jaw-dropped respect for Al Jarreau’s vocal ability. Holy smokes! His rhythmic and pitch precision, as well as his ability to sing a lyric so that every word is clear and understandable at any tempo, is astonishing.

User Info Menu

He really is something, isn't he?

I like making up words to notey and tricky rhythmic stuff...if I'm singing words in my head as I practice it's easier for me to figure out if I dropped a beat. Might not work for everybody.

User Info Menu

Well, I don't know if it's down to Al, but I've got the line under my fingers.