The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had never heard of this Bill Evans record before. Interesting concept - more in the ballpark for players like Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson than Bill. I guess the closest thing for guitar players would be something like Charlie Hunter's guitar where the bass strings go to a different amp than strings 1-4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CD0sxAafI8&list=PL0q2VleZJVEmZ6IwM_pxpBEO TjnIqAV_j&index=5

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have this on CD, though I haven’t listened to it in a while (CD player broke). I like it. Made me wonder how Evans would have sounded on a full-on Rhodes solo session, or another duet session with Jim Hall.

On that last idea, Pat Martino and Gil Goldstein did the wonderful “We’ll Be Together Again,” which I highly recommend for anyone who hasn’t heard it.

User Info Menu

Bill toys with this idea on a few records, the Montreaux III album with Eddie Gomez is one of the better ones.

It seems like a lot of piano players got into the Rhodes for a little bit, then basically wrote it off. Kind of a bummer to me, I love the sound.

And yes, that Martino/Goldstein record is sublime.