The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Also, it's a good book on improvising by ear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden

Also, it's a good book on improvising by ear.
    Did you watch the video?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Did you watch the video?
    I tried, I like Gilad's playing, but the sound quality is bad, I do have the book 'Primacy Ear'. Does he mention the book, it's good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I tried, I like Gilad's playing, but the sound quality is bad, I do have the book 'Primacy Ear'. Does he mention the book, it's good.
    No, he is not talking about that book. He is talking about listening, really listening, making the effort of really listening. And he talks about people not willing to listen to each other in life.

There are other masterclasses on YouTube that gave me great insights into things that have been recorded under much worse conditions than somebody sitting on a park bench being recorded from a distance and talking with an Israeli accent. (Remember, I am a non-native speaker of the English language.)

What is the value of a book like the one you have mentioned (immediately without watching the video obviously) if you refuse to listen to someone being recorded under a little subpar conditions? I mean not to force you to watch/listen to something if you do not want to (how could I?) but with that attitude you might miss out some important information.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll watch the video.

Interestingly, Gilad has a short document using the same name 'Primacy of the Ear', it's his life story.

I wonder if Gilad has read the improvising book 'Primacy of the Ear' by Ran Blake, it seems very possible.

I've seen Gilad playing live quite a few times, so I know he's a very good player.

Gilad's 'life story' doc download free here:
    (PDF) Primacy of the Ear | Gilad Atzmon - Academia.edu

User Info Menu

I've watched the video, he puts his ideas across well, playing by ear is what I believe in too, so he was preaching to the already converted.

Most pop/rock players I've known play everything by ear, more so than Jazz players I know, who read a lot.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that link. I also read a little about Ran Blake, interesting player as well. There are some interviews on YouTube that I will check out.