The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 69

User Info Menu

I clicked a stray link today due to the mention of a Gibson Wes Montgomery Custom L-5 guitar. I wasn't prepared for what I saw. At this point, the guitar is the furthest thing from my mind.
    What I can't stop thinking about is how an 11 year old person can play like this. I'll leave just two links (you can find others if you so desire).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Around the age of 11. Just as well there's no audio.What Were You Doing At Age 11?-20210606_150801-jpg

User Info Menu

Those horns are out of tune and off time in the second video.... The kid can play but needs a better band.

User Info Menu

At 11? Spending way too much time with this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I can't remember that far back but I think Boulou was 12 or 13 here

User Info Menu

That’d be in the early 1970s for me. Not yet bitten by the guitar bug, besides school I was doing ordinary kid stuff, little league baseball and other sports like swimming and riding bikes in the summer. Indoor board games, reading and drawing in winter. Parents took us on road trips, Niagara Falls was a standout.

No musicians in the family, but Dad had a vinyl collection, so stuff like Sinatra but also Sly and the Family Stone was spinning. Sesame Street on TV introduced me to soul and funk, Spinning Wheel was my favorite song. At Christmas time I loved Charlie Brown and Vince Guaraldi. In retrospect, I suppose the seeds of jazz had been planted then.

User Info Menu

I won San Diego and Imperial county for competitive swimming across 6 events at age 12 in about 1998.

User Info Menu

Bireli Lagrene was playing professionally at 11. Still at it, touring the US with Martin Taylor.

User Info Menu

I had just started playing the guitar. I was not quite as good as these guys But I was definitely obsessed quickly.

Oddly enough, at that age, the other things my life revolved around were basketball and drawing/painting.

I've not changed all that much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Those horns are out of tune and off time in the second video.... The kid can play but needs a better band.
    Impressively sour, irrelevant comment. Best to keep your jealousy to yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Impressively sour, irrelevant comment. Best to keep your jealousy to yourself.
    Isn't this a forum for musicians? Did you not hear it?

User Info Menu

He kind of looks like Derek Trucks from back when he was also 11 and also really really good.

User Info Menu

I was born in 57' so I was age 11 around 68-69' in Buffalo, NY. I was climbing trees, hopping trains.
    I'm still in love with Veronica;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    I was born in 57' so I was age 11 around 68-69' in Buffalo, NY. I was climbing trees, hopping trains.
    I'm still in love with Veronica;

Well she played Hammond w pedals, so she was certainly hip.

Playing blues and stride piano on a funky old upright, and had just started making serious work at serious classical repertoire. Thinking about girls. Country bumpkin, hadn't yet moved nearer the "big" city with my family.

Probably four or maybe five years before I had finagled the dough to buy a 1974 Gibson SG Special (by that point this was in the early 1990s, so high school), and so divided my time between rock and blues guitar, piano (now including jazz and NOLA R&B I transcribed off records, with the aid of an open-reel 1/4" tape deck to slow down tunes, and technically-demanding art music), and doing more than thinking about girls.

So, developing the repertoire! At all three instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I won San Diego and Imperial county for competitive swimming across 6 events at age 12 in about 1998.
    Diego? You may have heard of the notorious Romance Band of the mid 1980's.
    Or not.

User Info Menu

At 11 I was quite into coding and computers. On reflection I should have stuck with that haha.

User Info Menu

I was doing pretty much the same things I'm doing now. I was struggling to be a better man and musician, lusting after guitars, amps, cars, etc, and chasing girls with whom I was infatuated. The only thing that's really changed is that I've been married to the girl with whom I'm infatuated for half a century.

User Info Menu

I was learning Bb major on piano at 11. Shortly after I quit music for a few years.

User Info Menu

At 11, I was either in school or working on the farm. There were no girls within walking or bicycle riding distance, so chasing them was out of the question. No piano or other musical instruments to play. My father had to sell his Epiphone guitar and whatever amp he had years before, just to get enough money to buy food. We had several years to go before having enough money for him to buy another guitar from the Spiegel catalog and build an amp to play it through. The '50s were good times for some, but not for all. The big drought, as bad as the one in the '30s, hit Texas, and times were hard. "Hard times come again no more!".

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

^Thanks so much for posting the Muireann Bradley video, that went straight into my "watch (again) later" folder. Age and hand size (I think she mentions that) are irrelevant when there's talent and a will to give it a voice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I was doing pretty much the same things I'm doing now. I was struggling to be a better man and musician, lusting after guitars, amps, cars, etc, and chasing girls with whom I was infatuated. The only thing that's really changed is that I've been married to the girl with whom I'm infatuated for half a century.
    This is strikingly similar to my own story.

My guitar journey began at age 11 and soon evolved into a lifelong love of all things related to same.

And I too married the girl with whom I'm infatuated for half a century! :-)

User Info Menu

I was mostly interested in the Roman Empire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Wow. While I listen to Saxon Weiss a little and think "This boy has a lot of potential. Let's see where he will be in a few years.", this girl really knows already how to play those folk blues tunes and get the finger-picking groove rolling. Which is the basis for singing over it freely. Being exposed to the music of Robert Johnson, Blind Blake and Blind Lemon Jefferson as a kid is for sure not the worst thing that can happen to you in times of plastic pop (Damn -- I am getting the conservative old fart I never wanted to be, I even cannot name pop artists from the last ten years any more LOL).

At 11 I quit classical piano lessons after 2 years (I had started biting on a recorder flute at 5 before and played that for a few years). I was interested in knights, ancient Romans and Native Indians, read every book I could get my fingers on and liked drawing and painting. My parents did not have a TV by conviction so I was not very much exposed to that.