The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've seen this before but just wanted to share it here.
    You can hear some very cool chords in Joe's playing ( Always With You, Always With Me for example. Such beautiful chords).

Joe (Pass)'s reach extends past the jazz realm....

Joe Satriani Practised From This Joe Pass Book-img_20240107_090854-jpg

Joe Satriani Practised From This Joe Pass Book-img_20240107_090938-jpg

Joe Satriani Practised From This Joe Pass Book-screenshot_2024-01-07-09-08-03-92_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool book…..that and “Chord Solos” are both less than $10 on Amazon. Besides the chords themselves there are substitution ideas and some chord passages at the end of the book.

The Chord Solos book is a project. Always loved his Bb blues in there. Here is Chris Whiteman playing it:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Cool book…..that and “Chord Solos” are both less than $10 on Amazon. Besides the chords themselves there are substitution ideas and some chord passages at the end of the book.

The Chord Solos book is a project. Always loved his Bb blues in there. Here is Chris Whiteman playing it:

I always love to hear Chris play.

I have Joe's physical chord book and the chord solo book on Kindle (Lovely little intro to Misty in there too).

Much prefer a physical book though.

User Info Menu

I learned most of my chords out of the Joe Pass book. I was also a bit baffled at first why he didn’t name all the specific chord extensions, but eventually I realised it was to simplify the thinking and group them into basic types, and get you viewing them in a way that lets you see the ‘wood’ instead of the ‘trees’.

I did go through the book though and figure out and write the specific chord name above each one, so that was quite a valuable learning exercise (if the names had been printed and I’d just read them, the info. would never have sunk in so well).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I did go through the book though and figure out and write the specific chord name above each one
    I did the same for the first few pages but not necessarily C something but also Am and Em.