The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33
    joelf Guest
    This is a recording is one I will always cherish. It's not only a snapshot of jazz in 1970, with its variegated influences, it has boundless energy and spirit. And I love that he played more flugelhorn. Every new tune is worth copping too. Just gorgeous and interesting stuff.

And it features an always evolving artist. The Lee Morgan of 1970 to me was an even deeper artist than that of the late '50s-'60s. And that was already hard to beat.

The mind boggles at what he could have further accomplished had he lived...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's a great live album, and it made me realize that Lee Morgan had come out the other side of his addiction intact. He sort of disappeared in the second half of the 60s.
    I'm sure you know the documentary on him that came out a few years ago, I Called Him Morgan.

User Info Menu

Ah the 70's, great era for rock and pop. As for Jazz from that era, well, I'm still trying to catch up to it. Interesting you say Lee was "deeper" in the 70's, and I hear that a lot from people about many of the heavies that lived through the entire post war era up to and beyond the 70's. Like Bill Evans, Freddie, Cannon, Lee, Wayne, Rollins, Herbie, Hank, Miles, Jackie Maclean, Dexter etc etc...

But I just don't see how anyone could prefer their 70's work (or later for that matter) over their 60's work (or even 50's for that matter). I still don't "get" it, and I just can't seem to accept that it's because I'm too square to hear it (I may be wrong...). Besides, everyone knows the cats were way cooler in the 50's and 60's, right? No?

Hmm... oh well, I'll keep trying, maybe the penny will drop one day, so thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Ah the 70's, great era for rock and pop. As for Jazz from that era, well, I'm still trying to catch up to it. Interesting you say Lee was "deeper" in the 70's, and I hear that a lot from people about many of the heavies that lived through the entire post war era up to and beyond the 70's. Like Bill Evans, Freddie, Cannon, Lee, Wayne, Rollins, Herbie, Hank, Miles, Jackie Maclean, Dexter etc etc...

But I just don't see how anyone could prefer their 70's work (or later for that matter) over their 60's work (or even 50's for that matter). I still don't "get" it, and I just can't seem to accept that it's because I'm too square to hear it (I may be wrong...). Besides, everyone knows the cats were way cooler in the 50's and 60's, right? No?

Hmm... oh well, I'll keep trying, maybe the penny will drop one day, so thanks for posting.
    I like music with a direct inverse to the amount of gizmos and gadgets the recording engineers got. The "better" they got at recording, the worse everything sounds.

Edit: just wanted to add that I like this Lee Morgan album. It took the engineers longer to figure out how to mess up a live recording.

User Info Menu

It's an electric upright bass for a start, so there's that. And I know what you mean about 70's recording techniques with close mic placements doing away with ambience and bleed (though as you say, not so much with "live" recordings).

But for me it's more about what and how they played back then,more so than how they sounded. Oh, and what they were all wearing in the 70's hasn't dated so well either, ...

User Info Menu

It came out first as a live double LP. That became a CD. Then it was re-issued as a couple full run (complete performance) box sets (3 CD and later an 8 CD set) all with worthy performances through and through.
    You realize how rich live recordings are and how much can be learned from them.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Interesting you say Lee was "deeper" in the 70's.
    I meant more harmonic depth and absorption of newer ideas around then while still swinging and keeping the blues roots.

Some people did that, like Hampton Hawes, and to me became more interesting artists than certain others (by no means all) who thought a previous era was the end-all. Music will evolve like anything else, and musicians---including great ones---can choose to be open to fresh ideas or keep the blinders on. Lee and Hampton were open and kept getting better...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    It's a great live album, and it made me realize that Lee Morgan had come out the other side of his addiction intact. He sort of disappeared in the second half of the 60s.
    I'm sure you know the documentary on him that came out a few years ago, I Called Him Morgan.

User Info Menu

Lee Morgan is in my top 2 jazz trumpeters and yeah, I heartily agree with OP's comment of "energy and spirit". There are no bad LM records...well, as long as you don't listen to Night of the Cookers, lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    Lee Morgan is in my top 2 jazz trumpeters and yeah, I heartily agree with OP's comment of "energy and spirit". There are no bad LM records...well, as long as you don't listen to Night of the Cookers, lol.
    You didn't like his chemistry with Freddie? I was steeped on that Pensativa performance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    You didn't like his chemistry with Freddie? I was steeped on that Pensativa performance.
    I've got Vol 2, and the whole second side is a stinker. Tune is called "Breaking Point".

User Info Menu

Listen to this. I dare you

That's Lee and Freddie prodding one another into one "respectable" performance. Rhythm, surprise, contrast, seamless phrasing, it's got it all and energy. THIS is what trading 4's is all about. The audience reaction says it all.

joelf Guest
    He also knew when another badass was afoot: Tom Harrell laughingly told in an interview of him sitting in as a teen with Lee. Afterwards Lee told him 'Hey, you're a moth#$%%er, and I'm not gonna let you sit in with us any more'.

And, speaking of Freddie Hubbard, he said something similar (though in fairness after his chops went south):

He was telling about all his wonderful recent accomplishments. 'After I got back I recorded and it was great' and blah blah blah.

Then, in a rare moment of humility: 'And I let Tom Harrell sit in with me in Europe. I'll never do that again!'...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Listen to this. I dare you

That's Lee and Freddie prodding one another into one "respectable" performance. Rhythm, surprise, contrast, seamless phrasing, it's got it all and energy. THIS is what trading 4's is all about. The audience reaction says it all.
    ok, but then listen to this, I dare you, lol.

https://youtu.be/sZee7xKFhJQ?si=m5VSyp6a1kkAljbc

Lee Morgan solo at 8:00

joelf Guest
    ok, but then listen to this, I dare you, lol.

https://youtu.be/sZee7xKFhJQ?si=m5VSyp6a1kkAljbc

Lee Morgan solo at 8:00
    Solos cool, but what a nothing tune!

Live at the Lighthouse has writing plus great playing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Solos cool, but what a nothing tune!

Live at the Lighthouse has writing plus great playing...
    A few posts back, I was suggesting this was a rare low moment from Morgan. That's all.

User Info Menu

That ‘Breaking Point’ is kind of a strange tune, on the original version it alternates between fairly ‘free’ sections and a sort of calypso section, in the solos too. That kind of works because at least you can hear the differences between the sections. But on the Night of the Cookers version it sounds a lot less focussed, it sounds like everyone just kind of gave up and played a vague calypso thing throughout, doesn’t really take off. I don’t think Lee played badly, just seems the tune didn’t give him much to work with.

Anyway here’s the original version, I think it works a bit better, at least it’s clearer what they are trying to do. (Maybe the title refers to the point where the calypso tune keeps getting ‘deconstructed’ each time!)

User Info Menu

Lee Morgan's biography DelightfuLee mentions how after the huge commercial success of The Sidewinder, Blue Note had him record a bunch of albums in a similar style in a short period of time that would continue to release throughout the mid to late 60's. This really bothered him because while he was evolving and developing musically, all his "new" albums were uninspired recordings from years ago. He made a deal with Alfred Lion to release something new that he felt represented his current self better before they continued releasing albums from previous years, and thats why Live at the Lighthouse was recorded.

For reference, between The Sidewinder and Live at the Lighthouse, Lee Morgan recorded 15 albums worth of material that would be released spread out until the 80's. Before Live at the Lighthouse was released in 1971, 8 of them had been released and his most recent album, The Sixth Sense, had been recorded in 1967. He had grown a lot in those four years and wanted an album to prove it to the world.

User Info Menu

That's a shame because while I love Sidewinder, I can also hear how uninspired most of his work is after that, up to Live at the Lighthouse, which I really like, especially after re-listening due to this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    That's a shame because while I love Sidewinder, I can also hear how uninspired most of his work is after that, up to Live at the Lighthouse, which I really like, especially after re-listening due to this thread.
    What??
    Maybe I'm biased because he might be my favorite musician along w Wes but many of those records are my favorites as opposed to the pre Sidewinder material (not withstanding the tracks Lion wanted him to recreate the commercial success of the Sidewinder like the Rumproller) and I'm including the ones that were in the can until 1980.
    To each his own I guess......

User Info Menu

If you're unfamiliar I recommend checking out these lps. As I said keep in mind that a couple have that one tune they were trying to sell but most of the rest of the material is stellar

Search For The New Land
    Tom Cat
    The Gigolo
    Cornbread
    Infinity
    Charisma
    The Sixth Sense
    Sonic Boom
    Taru
    Carumba

User Info Menu

I'll check these out again. Back when I tried to go through his discography I liked Cornbread and Charisma, not enough to play them again, but enough to listen to the whole thing. I see George Benson is on Taru, that should be cool.

User Info Menu

I'll check these out again. Back when I tried to go through his discography I liked Cornbread and Charisma, not enough to play them again, but enough to listen to the whole thing. I see George Benson is on Taru, that should be cool.
    if you like guitar players Grant Green is on Search
    Ceora from Cornbread is considered a jazz standard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Ceora from Cornbread is considered a jazz standard
    Yeah, I like that one. There's a few gems, but overall I remember being under-impressed. Probably because I wanted more extremely approachable hard bop / soul jazz like Sidewinder.

I have Search For the New Land on now. The title track is long...I think it's ended 3 times now.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I like that one. There's a few gems, but overall I remember being under-impressed. Probably because I wanted more extremely approachable hard bop / soul jazz like Sidewinder.

I have Search For the New Land on now. The title track is long...I think it's ended 3 times now.
    that's the one they used as an opener on the doc I Called Him Morgan
    that record was a departure from his regular writing, hence the title....
    another classic....