The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    that's the one they used as an opener on the doc I Called Him Morgan
    that record was a departure from his regular writing, hence the title....
    another classic....
    I didn't watch the documentary. I understood it to be a history of his life, told by the woman who killed him. Hard pass.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I didn't watch the documentary. I understood it to be a history of his life, told by the woman who killed him. Hard pass.
    award winning outstanding documentary, check it out you'll learn something

User Info Menu

Lee Morgan is absolutely my favorite trumpeter. For some reason, I never got around to “Live At The Lighthouse,” but I do have “The Last Session” featuring (I believe) the same band. Morgan had indeed “come out the other side” of the 60s with some really interesting music that I really enjoy. “Croquet Ballet”, for example, is a wonderful tune.

All that said, my favorite Lee Morgan album is “The Procrastinator,” one of those albums released after his death. It had a CD release in the 90s as well, which is how I discovered it. As I understand, it was recorded in 1967. Brilliant session with an incredible band: Shorter, Hancock, Carter, Joe Chambers on drums, and Bobby Hutcherson on vibes. There are no bad songs on it, and I have even used it to introduce people to jazz.

Here’s the closing track, “Soft Touch,” also known as “Slumber” from Jackie McLean’s “Consequence” album:

User Info Menu

That tune Slumber/Soft Touch has at least four titles, Theme For Stacy and Waltz For Fran from Take Twelve being another two. There may be one more but I can't recall at the moment.

I've had most of Lee's records including all his sideman dates for 40 yrs.
    Just last week got the 3 cd Lighthouse set (I found the deluxe 6 cd set for a great price and thought about it but someone else grabbed it)
    Also just got the cd version of The Sixth Sense which has 3 bonus tracks my lp doesn't.
    I just can't pick a favorite Morgan lp, one day it's Infinity, next it's Tom Cat, maybe The Gigolo the next. It's interesting to note that during the 60s his lps were never released the yr they were recorded, usually at least a couple yrs after and in the cases of some like Infinity, Taru, Sonic Boom and Tom Cat, not until 8 yrs after his death when Michael Cuscuna discovered them in the vaults.

ps the only musicians on both Lighthouse and Last session are Jymie Merritt and Harold Mabern, Lighthouse has Bennie Maupin tenor as opposed to Billy Harper on Last

User Info Menu

Listened to The Procrastinator during my workout. Really great album. Did he ever play with a guitarist?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Listened to The Procrastinator during my workout. Really great album. Did he ever play with a guitarist?
    I mentioned Taru earlier w Benson and Grant Green on Search For the New Land.

User Info Menu

I need to get Taru. But Search For the New Land is an excellent album. For example:

User Info Menu

Thanks, I forgot there was guitar on Search for The New Land. Have to go back to it.